Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got in between 1st and nuetral at a stop heard unusual noise in gearbox and the bike will not shift beyond 1st gear....2005 vulcan 2000 30,000 miles always babied anyone had this happen ????????????:mad:.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bike has no play in cable at all. this bike is well maintained never beat.... never had any problems with shift very smooth like its brand new????? 30,000 miles Do you think they will have to split case??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gillyiowa, the bike shifts down into 1st and back into nuetral as it always did, but will not shift up into 2nd. and i dont want to apply abnormal pressure to do so fearing further damage........

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
no fear... these motor bikes are well built

bike has no play in cable at all. this bike is well maintained never beat.... never had any problems with shift very smooth like its brand new????? 30,000 miles Do you think they will have to split case??
gs, the shift dog-lever is located under the right side tranny cover. it is real ez to get at if you exhaust system is not in the way. here are some pix.
check your shift linkage under the bike and also the shift-shaft that enters the tranny at the rear. look for any thing that could be hanging it up. If you have to pull the covers, then check for clean ratchet action of the shift dog-lever and also step rotation of the shift-hex unit.
btw, there is a pin in that hex unit which is a neutral indicator. dont loose it when you have the gear case open.
let us know how far you have to take yor skoot down and what success you have.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gilly, thanx for your responses, yes the engine shifts freely eng off from 1st and nuetral.
Ponch, thanx for the pics that will help me mucho much.......

·
Registered
319 Posts
trans

gilly, thanx for your responses, yes the engine shifts freely eng off from 1st and nuetral.
Ponch, thanx for the pics that will help me mucho much.......
So, with the engine off, you can get 2/3 etc. If so, you have a clutch/pressure plate problem. when I get into the garage, I'll get the service manual out and see if it's easey to check. I've never been into the clutchs. Do you have a manual?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tranny magic

So, with the engine off, you can get 2/3 etc. If so, you have a clutch/pressure plate problem. when I get into the garage, I'll get the service manual out and see if it's easey to check. I've never been into the clutchs. Do you have a manual?
Hey some good news, i ran the bike down the street in first gear and the bike shifted into 2nd and all gears beyond?? whatever was preventing me to shift must have come free. no suspected damge. goofy, thanx for your help. i was getting board with the goldwing. i need to get on that Vulcan and hear some rumble!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tranny magic

gs, the shift dog-lever is located under the right side tranny cover. it is real ez to get at if you exhaust system is not in the way. here are some pix.
check your shift linkage under the bike and also the shift-shaft that enters the tranny at the rear. look for any thing that could be hanging it up. If you have to pull the covers, then check for clean ratchet action of the shift dog-lever and also step rotation of the shift-hex unit.
btw, there is a pin in that hex unit which is a neutral indicator. dont loose it when you have the gear case open.
let us know how far you have to take yor skoot down and what success you have.
I have no idea what happened here but just for the hell of it i decided to run my bike down the street in 1st gear. it started shifting normal through all gears? whatever was stuck, UNSTUCK. Very happy to get back on my monster, bored with the goldwing. thanx for the pics you guys are awesome.
Ride safe boys.......................

·
Registered
538 Posts
I wouldn't relax just yet. There is a good chance this is going to happen again. I would follow Ponch's line of thought, crack open that side case and take a look at things. I was a MC mechanic for some years and I found that unlike organic life, engines and transmission are not usually self repairing. Sorry.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
What OBG said. It's going to happen again so don't get caught unaware.
My sisters' B/F had the same thing happen to his Vulcan and had it in the shop twice for repairs. We think they finally fixed it but he's not what you would call educated on motorcycles so he can't tell me what was actually found.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Happens

This happens to me infrequently especially if I start the bike in gear. Which I rairly do. Usually I can shut if off, start it in nuetral and then Im good to go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ya , im afraid you guys would say that...im ridin til it happens again. hopefully it wont happen on amboy road eh....

·
Registered
616 Posts
head in the sand

thnx for the info- im gonna keep rollin for now fingers crossed
Hope it works out , but as OBG says these things dont usually heal themselves .
having been a Diesel tech for 25yrs , I'll tell you same , plus, "there is NO such thing as Mechanic In a Can " , either!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Maybe a stupid question but you were moving when trying to shift to second and it wouldn't right?
If you were sitting still then that was the problem, our bikes will not shift from 1st to 2nd while sitting still.
Don't ask me how I know :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tranny stuck

Maybe a stupid question but you were moving when trying to shift to second and it wouldn't right?
If you were sitting still then that was the problem, our bikes will not shift from 1st to 2nd while sitting still.
Don't ask me how I know :)
rollin her out of garage in flip flops and at a stop got I in between gears when i heard unusual box noise. not a stupid question at all. I think thats what happened not rollin 1st to 2nd, not payin attention to what i was doin, bein in a hurry. dumb

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tranny stuck

I wouldn't relax just yet. There is a good chance this is going to happen again. I would follow Ponch's line of thought, crack open that side case and take a look at things. I was a MC mechanic for some years and I found that unlike organic life, engines and transmission are not usually self repairing. Sorry.
hey thnx for all the info, for now im rollin, sure like this forum. nice gettin off my goldwing, and feelin the power of that VN2000....

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
This is possibly not related at all but a couple times I've noticed my bike doesn't like to go into 1st gear at very low speeds as I am stopping. I found an easy cure when it does that. I push on the gear shift lever and let the clutch out until it just starts to grab and the gearbox will pop into low gear easily. It's almost as though it's hung up on it's own teeth and just needs a little twist to seat properly. Never had any real lock ups just stubbornness.
Kinda like raising kids, sometimes you got to let the clutch out a bit to get 'em to move.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts