Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little help please; I'm considering a bucket list Pacific to Atlantic ride. Never have I considered anything this ambitious before and would like suggestions for planning and maybe a small group to join up with.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I just started working on my bucket list, it is a long list so just trying to put a check mark in front of some items.
One of them items is to cross Canada in my bike, takin' in all the scenery there is to take up north, considering to make it a late summer-early fall thing b4 it gets too cold but I want to be able to see the leaves show their fall colors.
My plan is to make it happen within the next 2-3 years cause it takes some planing, the right amount of time, the right sled and the right $$upport.
I'm taking my first long trip this summer with a bunch of experience riders to take in from their collective experience on the road, oh yeah, and to have fun riding.
One of the guys on the trip is comming down from Canada so I plan to start the planing as soon as I get back this July.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
here is a route I would consider. it avoids as many of the Big Cities as possible. if I wanted to see them, I would not have to leave home. they are all the same. big. dirty. chocked full of peeps.
but the country is where real people live. I would ride there. ok, here is my map.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Vic...001f12261f!2m2!1d-52.7128315!2d47.5605413!3e0
I've done all of that route across Canada, but not all in one trip. Highly recommended! Choose a good bike, there is 900 kms of loose gravel along the way from Manac5 to Blanc Sabon and 407 km stretch with no fuel from Goose Bay to Port Hope Simpson.

·
Registered
894 Posts
First - Good Luck with your plan!

Second - Remember it's YOUR ride.

I have an 8,000 miler coming up later this year that will give me the lower 48 on my Voyager. I have done cross country (US) on other bikes.

Groups: Small is the key. Small and comfortable and mostly compatible - people you have ridden with before - you know and are comfortable with their style, their bladder habits, their food habits, their sleeping habits, their endurance. I usually ride with 2 others on my cross country runs. This year it will either be with just one (my nephew) or just me. With any ride over a week and half, you likely will have some disagreements and the little annoying habit that you can normally deal with, becomes a big deal that drives you crazy . . .so choose your riding partners wisely . . . Most of my best rides have been on my own . . . though my best rides have been with my son on the back of the bike.

Prep: Preparing your bike and yourself are key:

The Bike: Fresh Commander IIs so I don't need to worry about a tire change on the road, fresh oil change with K&N Air Filter so all I need to do a parking lot oil change at an Advance Auto Parts is a wrench . . . Make sure your seat is good for you to spend a lot of time on . . . Of course proper maintenance before all this is key . . .

Packing: My essentials are my iPhone with tunes, a portable power supply, tire repair kit & small pump, tactical trauma kit, micro jump starter, SPOT tracker, misc wrenchs, wires and tools, spare spark plugs, at leat a 1.5 gallon gas can. With the exception of the gas can, all this takes up less than 1/2 of a saddlebag. Add my rain/cold gear and chaps and that about fills a saddle bag.

Any trip over a week long all I need is 5 pair of undies, 5 pair of good socks, 1 long sleeve T, 4 short sleeve T's, 1 Under Armor Cold shirt and pants just in case and 3 pair of jeans. If you wear full riding gear with over pants, you can take out all but 1 pair of jeans and throw in a couple pairs of shorts . . .

I ride with a a basic route set. I have no/few planned stops and rarely make a reservation if staying at hotels . . . there are a lot of apps that let you reserve from 1/2 hour out and get a better rate than at the desk. If no vacancy - Keep riding . . . My wife keeps track via the SPOT and can see that I am moving and if I break down, or worse, I can call the cavalry with it.

Mentally . . . take a couple of long back to back, day rides a month or two out . . . I average about 425 miles a day when touring - with long days in the 650 - 750 miles and short days with sight seeing in the 200 mile range. Have a goal, not a destination . . . My destination is always Home . . . and my arrival will be the day my kitchen pass expires. I get weird looks form people when they ask where I'm riding and I say something like "Tuesday the 19th" . . .

So the best advice I can give is what I said as #2 - Remember - Its YOUR ride . . . Do it your way, how it works for YOU . . . So just forget everything I wrote above except for that and you will have the experience of your life . . .

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
First - Good Luck with your plan!

Second - Remember it's YOUR ride.

Mentally . . . Have a goal, not a destination . . . My destination is always Home . . . and my arrival will be the day my kitchen pass expires.

I get weird looks form people when they ask where I'm riding and I say something like "Tuesday the 19th" . . .

So the best advice I can give is what I said as #2 - Remember - Its YOUR ride . . . Do it your way, how it works for YOU . . . So just forget everything I wrote above except for that and you will have the experience of your life . . .
agent orange,, all good stuff. butt I bet you get strange looks all the time.. poncho

1 - 6 of 6 Posts