Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
iPod, louder pipes, ear plugs, louder pipes, minor fix with belt adjustment, louder pipes

I've also found that it helps to ride with a large number of friends who also have a bit of loudness in the pipes. ;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Loosen(adjust) the belt, NOT TOO loose;).........then "lube" with liquid dish detergent.....put enough on to give it a good coating.......Go for a ride and enjoy your new found silence:cool:.....The caveat here is that you will have to do this again --- and again-----and again:(---after a while of doing this your bike will start to smell of "LEMON"........NO PUN INTENDED!!!!!!! LOL
Believe me I have tried everything-------this seems to work.....for a while. Doesn't hurt the belt and under pressure washes off with the dust and grime!!!!:D

·
Registered
719 Posts
The whine seems to be related more to alignment than tension. I moved mine to the outside of the pulleys and the noise went away - the last 5k miles have been quiet.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Adjust the belt to about 25 mm(one inch)....Ride the belt to the outside of the pulley(away from the spokes)....If you can -- check the pulley for running true.....if it wobbles the problem you have will be difficult to fix......I run my belt at center because of this...Use a calliper dept gauge -- that's the extension of the sliding part of devise- measure the adjusters to be the same distance....Even though the marks may seem to line up they could be off enough to make the belt ride in the wrong position.....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TY for the great answer. Am off this weds. will have to check that all out. My belt now is closer to the spokes. Dont have that depth gage so cant do that. You said one inch of up and down motion on the belt right?
Rear tire off ground?
Thks again

·
Registered
142 Posts
Be sure the belt is moved to the outside of the pulley(your left)....adjust the belt for "about" 25mm deflection(up/down)......IF you can raise the rear tire on a lift or floor jack(be careful here) check for pulley wobble....IF you have had a tire change it may be the pulley is 'cocked" and needs to be reset(difficult with out removing the rear wheel)...As well if you are using 15-40 oil you may want to use a heavier oil like 15-50 or 20-50....If the 'gear whine" persists check the oil level and top it up if necessary to the "top" line in the oil level glass.....Just a note....Gear whine is VERY common with the 900......it will not likely go away soon....Belt chirp or squeal is another "idiosyncrasy" to deal with..

·
Registered
376 Posts
I had my dealer check my bike for the tranny whine. They said it is normal for straight cut gears.

The belt noise is a common problem as well. I have adjusted the belt twice for this and it reduce the noise but did not eliminate it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Straight cut gears make noise?? :confused:Man, I don't know what Kawasaki is trying to pull, but I have an OLD 79 Honda 750 with "straight cut gears" and I can tell you straight up, I do not experience the gear whine on the 750 that I get from my 900 and it's a much quieter motor too:p.....My serious observation is that while the Vulcan 9 is a nice design and attractive package with lots of "nice" perks, there are serious flaws that have been know and not addressed.....I have a friend with a an old 454 belt drive .....you wouldn't know there was a drive belt on it.....the 900 at times "howls"...injector relays make more noise than an old IBM computer of the 40's doing simple functions.....and gear whine sounds like a 747 on throttle up......the only difference is the deafening roar.....and yes it sounds like I'm dissin' Kawasaki---I'm not.......This bike with all the known issues could very well have been "corrected" and would have garnered many more to the fold.....but as some have observed...louder pipes, and loud ear phones seem to diminish the problems that jump up and bite your ass.....IMHO:(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts