Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fixed my gear position switch yesterday and have new outer and inner transmission cover gaskets. The manual just says "install a new gasket", but it looks like there was some sort of gasket sealer used previously as I have had to scrape this off the covers. Not sure if this is from the factory or from the previous owner.

I know a lot of you out there have fixed the gear position switch as well as installed the Euro gears. Did any of you get the trans covers to seal just with the gasket and proper torque or did you use some sort of gasket sealant? I like the Permatex Indian Head gasket sealant myself, but won't use it if it is not necessary.

·
Registered
220 Posts
You have the stock factory gasket installed. When you install the new gasket, no sealant is needed, just make sure mating surfaces are clean and you follow the torque sequence in the service manual and the torque on the bolts is correct. Goes for both inner and outer cover gaskets. Bob

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is what I expected, but I just wanted to be sure so that I don't end up with any leaks. I used a plastic scraper with the aid of some lacquer thinner to clean up the sealing surfaces so now I will break out the manual and torque wrench to finish the job. Thanks!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Don't forget to re-seal the gear position indicator wiring grommet where it goes through the inner case. Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts