Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I got my VN2K I've put lots of road miles on it and have had to pack suitcase and duffle bag on back seat. Have seen lots of bikes with trailers behind them and I think this is the way to travel.

Looking for trailer hitch for my bike has not been very productive. I did find one for a tad over $500.00 and $150.00 for the wiring harness adapter kit but this all seems really high to me. Is this reasonable or am I just being a tightwad? On top of all this I till would have to buy a trailer which can run up to whatever your wallet will hold. Guess I really am a tightwad.

·
Registered
419 Posts
If it says motorcycle then it's got to be expensive

Since I got my VN2K I've put lots of road miles on it and have had to pack suitcase and duffle bag on back seat. Have seen lots of bikes with trailers behind them and I think this is the way to travel.

Looking for trailer hitch for my bike has not been very productive. I did find one for a tad over $500.00 and $150.00 for the wiring harness adapter kit but this all seems really high to me. Is this reasonable or am I just being a tightwad? On top of all this I till would have to buy a trailer which can run up to whatever your wallet will hold. Guess I really am a tightwad.
I bought a "hidden hitch" from Hitchdoc for my V2kLt. I guess it was the first one that they sold as I had to do some changes to make it work. I liked the hitch a lot as it was truly hidden when I didn't have the receiver in. Cost me almost $500 all told. I did my own wiring with a converter and it fit really tight in there but worked like a champ. The only time I noticed the trailer was in the tight twistys when it would feel like my passenger wasn't leaning enough. Not dangerous just noticeable. The V2k has got more than enough brakes to handle the extra weight. I would totally forget about it on the Blue Ridge. Other nice thing was the trailer was a 1983 model and the V2k was a 2006. They matched perfectly down to the pin stripping.:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Try mchitch.com, they are Made in America just bought one for my '10 Voyager. Installed myself however I am struggling with the wiring sub-harness.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I,m cheap too

I got my hitch from Mchitch($200)and trailer from harbor freight for about $170 on sale , bought a used car top carrier for $40 and used a Hopkins power tail light convertor, part #46255 for the wiring.($50) We took 3000+ mi. trip in June and had no problems at all.I did modify the trailer somewhat by cuting it s length by 7" and width by 6". I also went from 8" wheels to 12"this put the trailer level with the hitch. All said and done for just over $500, and very happy with it. By the way I got the convertor from Auto Zone

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally got my hitch from McHitch and installed it. Also got a turn signal isolator from them and git it installed also. Works perfectly. Now all I need to do is come up with a decent trailer to pull.

Anyone have a line on a trailer for sale?

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took the plunge today and put a down payment on a new trailer. Found an 18 cu. ft. fiberglass trailer, black, 1 7/8" hitch, LED lights and carpeted for slightly under $1K. Hopefully pick it up this coming weekend.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
when tellin a story, need to finish it

Took the plunge today and put a down payment on a new trailer. Found an 18 cu. ft. fiberglass trailer, black, 1 7/8" hitch, LED lights and carpeted for slightly under $1K. Hopefully pick it up this coming weekend.
cp, we are going to need some pix of that truck..er trailer you be now toting behind. you can't be just teasing us with info and then leave it hangin out there for our 'maginations to fill in the blanks. so pony up there boy and get us some piksures so we can pik it apart. how big, how heavy, how much can it carry, 'cetera stuff. ok, you got yor 'signment. out, ponch

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The trailer I'm picking up tomorrow is glossy black, fiberglass, lockable top, 18 cu. ft., weighs approx 125 lbs and can carry 500 lbs. It isn't the cadillac of trailers or anything but it will do what I need to do just fine..:D Getting a cooler rack put on it so's I can carry frosty beverages along.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
The trailer I'm picking up tomorrow is glossy black, fiberglass, lockable top, 18 cu. ft., weighs approx 125 lbs and can carry 500 lbs. It isn't the cadillac of trailers or anything but it will do what I need to do just fine..:D Getting a cooler rack put on it so's I can carry frosty beverages along.

/QUOTE]
That is a nice looking trailer......Is it from a dealer.....Can they b purchased or is it one someone made.......If they r available 4 sale could u post a link or contact info........Thx very much.......Terry......:cool:

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

/QUOTE]
That is a nice looking trailer......Is it from a dealer.....Can they b purchased or is it one someone made.......If they r available 4 sale could u post a link or contact info........Thx very much.......Terry......:cool:

Trailer is from 190 bike corral in Onalaska, Texas. They are a dealer and will gladly sell you one. Nice guy that owns the place, real old school biker dude but he knows his stuff.

www.190bikecorral.com

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Picked the trailer up this morning. It was sitting in front of the shop just waiting on me to get there. He wired the LED lights up for me and when I checked them out for operation, everything worked perfectly. Man, I like those big square LED tail lights. They will blind you at night and are VERY visible in daylight. Pulled the trailer 74 miles home through the National Forest, one very heavy rain storm and twenty something miles of freeway. My Vulcan doesn't even know it's back there. The dang thing is only approx. 125 lbs and solid as a rock. It does bounce some when empty but I have the solution to that problem, Load it down.

I shot some pics of it attached to the bike but they are saved on my hard drive. As soon as I resize them I"ll get them uploaded.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts