Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a hitch made. I want to mount it along the inside of rear fender. Which bolts that go into the frame should I mount it to? And will they be strong enough? Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
there is a "hidden Hitch" avail at this link .....KAWASAKI 900 CC Vulcan Classic 2006-2009 Hidden-removable hitch

... the chrome pieces get unscrewed first( on the fender sides ) this will expose 2 bolts either side on the fender arms ... remove these ....this removes the fender .... you have to drill out these 4 holes and install the hitch and fender with larger bolts ... put it all back together again.

WARNING ... I had a bolt break on my hitch ..... I replaced ALL of them with "high tensile bolts" .... do this before you install the hitch.

When you do the wiring, do it under the seat for your access point and zip tie it down the hitch to the tongue... this allows for a easier install rather than trying to tap into the brake light and turn signals underneath the fender and a much easier fix if you have an issue.

Trailering offers more touring possibilities ... if you are buying a trailer, get one with a "cooler basket" .... cold water, the option of carrying food and a ice cold beer at the end of the day make travelling so much better .....

remember, braking distances are increased .... and if you go way to fast, life can unravel real quick if you blow a tire at 80 mph ..... choose a reasonable speed to tow .... I toured at 65mph with no issues and , still got good fuel economy and could still cover 600 miles per day.

here is a link for my trailer wiring and hitch ... Hitch And Wiring For Trailers by Maurice Whiting | Photobucket

BTW .... I could still run a 200 rear tire with this hitch ..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips. Just a couple more questions . Do you drill out the holes in the fender arms or the threaded holes in the fender bracket inside the fender? What type of bolt heads on new ones and washers and nuts? Obviously longer bolts, did you use thicker ones or the same?

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
the bolts that come with the hitch that I bought are larger and longer , the existing holes in the fender arms had to be drilled out ... it is a easy install, let me be clear, I have no mechanical prowess at all but I was able to follow the instructions supplied and completed the install in a couple of hours .... trailers weigh in at around 100 to 150 lbs ...start adding gear in it and a cooler puts you up around 300 lbs very quickly ...

click on this link and go to pics 6,7 and 8 ...http://s945.photobucket.com/user/whiting57/library/Bustin%20Bugs%202010%20%20Packed%20and%20ready%20to%20roll?sort=3&page=1 .... and we do not even camp ... LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts