Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such a thing? I haven't found anything for the Custom, only the LT. My Girlfriend and I go mountain biking in the summer. It would be great to be able to tow a small trailer with the Vulcan instead of having to take the truck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, I just did a little more searching and found this thread.
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19442
I sent Bigmoe a PM. There was also a link to a company in Canada selling hitches for the 900C. Price is a bit steep. I wonder if they would sell me the components and I could weld it together myself. Benefits to working at an automotive plant, I have access to trained weld technicians and very good welders. We also have a paint line for chassis components. I could have someone weld everything up then send it thru the line and it would look every bit as good as a purchased unit.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I know Whiting pulls a trailer behind his 900 Classic. I'm sure he'll chime in any time now,

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is VN900C not the designation for the Custom? I know there are hitches for the Classic. I have a Custom that I am trying to find a hitch for. Not asking if the 900 can tow either, that horse has been beaten into dog food already.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I know Whiting pulls a trailer behind his 900 Classic. I'm sure he'll chime in any time now,
too funny ..

you can stick the classic hitch on a custom, the difference is the rear fender shape on the custom and it would not be hidden, having said that, the denray hitch (see photo) could be altered (shortened) to accommodate the shorter fender. I could not say that it would be completely hidden, but it would visually look better.

my biggest concern about an altered hitch would be the hitch / hook up towing height, with a change in the higher center of gravity, I'm not sure it would change the handling dynamics under braking, my classic hitch is low and pushes low under braking, it does change the handling, but when i brake, i use the rear first and let the bike "set" and then apply the front.

You would probably have to alter the neck on the trailer to accommodate the ball height so the trailer weight would push thru the bike vs pushing the rear of the bike upwards.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Not asking if the 900 can tow either, that horse has been beaten into dog food already.

Yuuuup

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Denray lists the Classic and the Custom version as the same price. If I were to buy from them, I would just buy the Custom version. Now that I know the Classic version could be altered, that opens up the possibility of a used unit. Thanks for the input.

Whiting, do you use a Denray Hitch? What is the install like? Would it be practical to say bolt it on for a day and then take it off for normal use?

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Denray lists the Classic and the Custom version as the same price. If I were to buy from them, I would just buy the Custom version. Now that I know the Classic version could be altered, that opens up the possibility of a used unit. Thanks for the input.

Whiting, do you use a Denray Hitch? What is the install like? Would it be practical to say bolt it on for a day and then take it off for normal use?
mine is the Denray ...

You have to remove the 2 chrome trims on the side of the fender, when these are removed there are 2 bolts on either side of the fender which hold the fender to the frame arms ... these bolts have to be drilled out to accommodate the larger (stronger) hitch bolts. I actually change the bolts supplied for the hitch to high tensile bolts. Its a bit fiddly to work under the fender and would be a lot easier with the rear wheel removed.

heres a pic of the frame arms ..

The install for me was around 2 hours ... i have no mechanical expertise what so ever, but the instructions supplied were clear to follow. I think it would be a pain in the butt to remove and replace all the time. You would also have the wiring loom to deal with as well. I got my local Napa shop to do the wiring for me ... it had the wiring hooked up under the seat rather than thru the rear turn signal/brake light set up, if you have an issue its easier to work on the top of the bike vs underneath it. see pics ..

more at this link ... http://s945.photobucket.com/albums/ad292/whiting57/hitch%20and%20wiring%20for%20trailers/?action=view&current=DSCF3911.jpg

I think the denray "hidden hitch" could be altered easily to suite the custom with out loosing any "visual" curb appeal, and if you have bags, it would all but hide it.
The ball tongue is removable by 2 bolts.

BTW ... i run a 200 rear on my bikes, the tire width does not cause any issues with the hitch. The picture with the frame arms shows a darkside tire ... this is Mr Cleans bike, he also runs a hitch and i rogued the photo.

·
Registered
498 Posts
ok I might be dumb but what wheel is that with a darkside on it? Is that the custom mag or..... I kinda like it. I just don't dig the big skinny on the front of the customs.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Custom/Classic one hitch

I just want to clarify that the Custom and the Classic take the same hitch. No need to modify. The frames at the rear are identical. The shorter fender on the Custom means the hitch will not be totally hidden.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
If my pic upload works, here is a close up of my hitch on a Custom. With the tongue removed it's not visible from behind. Also there is slight interference between the receiver and the plastic licence plate bracket.
Many people tow with the 900. Lighter trailers are fine. As with any tow vehicle, more caution is used. Ride safe.

This is the post I was refering to with a pic of BIGMOE's hitch on a custom. For some reason I got it in my head that it was modified to fit the custom. Now that I look again, I don't know where I got that idea. Sorry if I coused any confusion.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have a hitch for the 900 I might be interested in selling. I will try to get some pics and put it in the 4 sale section. Let me know if anyone is interested. Looks just like the pic above.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts