Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those that haul trailers behind their bikes. dont they make a standard size coupler that is split right after the lock down handle to allow the device to rotate left or right when our bike is on such an angle to allow the install and removal of hitch. i dont want to put a longer kickstand on bike for it to sit up straighter. i know they make a swivel that goes on trailer tongue first then the other half standard coupler goes on. i'ld rather the coupler itself be split.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've pulled trailer with 03 Nomad, and now with 09 Voyager. I don't have a swivel hitch and don't have any problems towing or parking on side stand. There is enough swivel built into the normal hitch. I won't be scraping the floorboards while I'm towing.

·
Registered
414 Posts
i saw one on a internet board maybe even on this one that had a automotive unervirsal joint in it. looked really cool.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I have used the standard 1 7/8 hitch couplers for 35 or so years. Never had a problem with the flexing/twisting of the trailer tongue. Even when I am scraping the boards in twisties. I NEVER use connecting chains either. Never had one come loose either. I done use chains as I do not want to be attached to the trailer should it separate. In investigating several motorcycle accidents caused due to the trailer coming loose would NOT HAVE HAPPENED if they had not used the connecting chain. Who cares if it drifts into an oncoming car. At least you won't..... that's why you have insurance... Just inspect everything after a ride and before the next one. Maintain it, grease the bearings every year.... new tires every 3 or 4 years (8 inch..)

OH.. by the way, those trailers would not have come loose if:

1. Thay had remembered to LOCK the coupler or pin it instead of not securing the latch.
2. Looked to see if the ball had come loose AFTER they noticed it seemed to be rattling a lot more than normal.
3. Had they inspected the trailer tongue more often after they had noticed a crack in the metal a year before.
4.Remembered to put the keeper pin in the receiver bolt. Or had one that would not fall out.

In the 140,000 miles on the Venture I recently traded in on my VV, at least 80,000 of those were pulling my trailer. A $100 Harbor Freight trailer and 22 cubic foot cargo box (free) I have been using for almost 20 years and with older motorcycles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts