Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a trailer to take my Nomad to Nova Scotia next summer for some east coast riding. Having never owned or pulled a trailer, any adivce would be helpful. I'll be pulling with my Nissan Rogue, a 4 cylinder. Any must have features or pitfalls to watch for would be very helpfull.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
What's the Rogue's towing capacity? My girlfriend has one but no hitch and I've never checked the manual.

If the Rogue doesn't have a transmission cooler I'd for sure put one of those on. A cooler running transmission never hurt anything, except the transmission repair shop's bottom line. :)

The trailer should have a front wheel chock and full length tire rails, or at least rail where the rear tire sits is nice too. Nice to have a front shield/deflector, and strong, well-positioned tie-downs so the strap angles are not too steep nor too shallow. 30-45 degrees seems the recommended angle. The strap positions should pull the bike forward, into the front wheel chock. Straps go on solid frame members and the like. Accessory points and baggage rails and such don't make for good tie points and could be damaged or break off, allowing your bike to come loose. Stop after the first few miles and recheck the tiedowns. Then stop again maybe 50 miles and check. After that, check them every break and every fuel stop.

Low is good to a point as a high trailer makes for a steep ramp. Speaking of ramps, one that slides underneath is better than one that folds up at the back acting like a big air brake. It's also really nice when the removable ramp hooks/locks onto the trailer so you don't have to worry about it coming off as you're trying to drive on. Wide ramp is better than a narrow ramp, of course.

Once all that is accomplished the actual pulling of the trailer is easy. Main rule...don't forget it's back there and cut a turn too sharp, or go somewhere where turning around or backing will be difficult. Be sure to factor longer stopping distances due to the added weight. Gas mileage could be cut by 50%, give or take, because of the added weight and wind resistance. Some vehicles should be driven one gear lower, others have a towing mode, others yet don't require any change unless the (automatic) transmission is shifting frequently. The owner's manual will advise the proper method for the Rogue.

·
Registered
287 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm considering buying a trailer to take my Nomad to Nova Scotia next summer for some east coast riding. Having never owned or pulled a trailer, any adivce would be helpful. I'll be pulling with my Nissan Rogue, a 4 cylinder. Any must have features or pitfalls to watch for would be very helpfull.
If you want an enclosed trailer I recomend this: http://www.toycarrier.com/enclosedmotorcycletrailer.htm

I've seen several of these behind 4 cyl cars on I75 going through KY.
There are some others like the Iron Horse trailer as well. I was ready to pull the trigger on the toycarrier untill I found out that my neighborhood zoning laws won't allow me to store it outside w/o major screening work. I bought a Kendon single instead to haul behind my Hyundai. Bought a p/u however and haul it behind that. The Kendon works but it's at the load limit with the Voyager. On the 5 hr hauls I done with it, it starts out with 3" ~ 5" of available tire movement and 1" or less at the end of the trip. Figure I've got the loaded/fueled Voyager, optional tool boxes w/ small crank jack & extra tie-downs, tire wrench, and optional rock guard on front.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Trailer

If you want an enclosed trailer I recomend this: http://www.toycarrier.com/enclosedmotorcycletrailer.htm

I've seen several of these behind 4 cyl cars on I75 going through KY.
There are some others like the Iron Horse trailer as well. I was ready to pull the trigger on the toycarrier untill I found out that my neighborhood zoning laws won't allow me to store it outside w/o major screening work. I bought a Kendon single instead to haul behind my Hyundai. Bought a p/u however and haul it behind that. The Kendon works but it's at the load limit with the Voyager. On the 5 hr hauls I done with it, it starts out with 3" ~ 5" of available tire movement and 1" or less at the end of the trip. Figure I've got the loaded/fueled Voyager, optional tool boxes w/ small crank jack & extra tie-downs, tire wrench, and optional rock guard on front.
Yep; that's the one I was trying to find.

·
Registered
121 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts