Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/m...r-monash-freeway-crashes-20141117-11o0bu.html

Today, one of our brothers died today after smacking into the rear of a vehicle, fell off and then was hit by a truck - on one our largest/busiest freeways. - see link

A few hours later, another brother had a serious accident on his bike.

Besides, riding too close - what else can we learn from this death and what can we do to not let it happen to us...?

I am always mindful about keeping a safe distance from the vehicle in front of me, but I always expect the worse...

Romper

·
Registered
170 Posts
I always make sure that i drive like no one can see me,that every car is going to pull out in front of me.Not that I tense up but always in a defense mold.Its tough riding on the thurways with all the cars but just have to be ready.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Romper, a full list would be way too long for this forum.

A) Assume everyone else on the road is out to get you! Be very defensive, if someone puts a turn signal on wait until they are committed into their turn. Be super careful going through interestions slow down look, look, look everywhere.

B) Assume you are invisible, to a lot of drivers you are! Keep out of blind spots, look for options to get out of the way in an emergency, beware of who is behind you as well as in front. I use a modulating headlight, brake light and wear a hi viz vest just to be a little more visible.

The fact is the majority of motorcyle accidents are avoidable. If you have not already, take a sife riders course MSF or equivalent, consider the ride like a pro course, buy and read twist of the wrist 2 or at least watch the video, practice what you learn! Know you bike and your limits, ride within your limits.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Motorcycling is all about risk management, if you can either remove the risk or accept the worst case senario, ride on, if you you can not do either ... get off the bike. Rear ending any vehical is not risk management. While it is sad someone lost their life, they obviously lost focus and paid the ultimate price .

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a headlight modulator on my bike and a LED brake light flasher as well.
I only use the headlight modulator if I think someone who might be pulling out from a side street or parking lot is not seeing me. I also use it if someone is at an intersection with the intent to turn left.
This modulator has saved my bacon a few times. I don't use it all the time ie on a 4 lane divided highway.
The brake light flasher is a plug and play from superbrightleds .com.
The flasher is built into the bulb so you just have to swap out bulbs. It is brighter than the stock bulb as well.
On four lane roads I try to go through an intersection with another automobile.
Its a safe bet the on coming traffic sees the automobile before it sees me.
I also try not to ride in someone's blind spot.
I also use the 2 second or 3 second rule if following someone. At 55mph or higher I use the 3 second rule. This means picking a point the vehicle in front of you passes and it should either take you 2 or 3 seconds before you pass the same point. This will give you plenty of braking distance to stop in the event of something happening unexpected.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
if I think someone who might be pulling out from a side street or parking lot is not seeing me. I also use it if someone is at an intersection with the intent to turn left.
Turn it on in front of me when I am driving my tractor trailer and I'm thinking you are giving me the right of way .... no flashing "do - dad", front or rear is even close to being a fool proof method of safety, while it may "soothe" your mind, it is not always effective ... see below.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Good advice above. Blindspot awareness, hazard perception, defensive riding, exit strategies and following distances are crucial.

I would also add wear proper gear. It's not going to save injury in a serious accident but it could save you a world of pain if you come off.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agree MrWalko.

Some timely advice in this thread and powerful reminders of our life/death decisions we all make every time we are on the bike....

I wear full leathers (full Daiense set with built-in guards everywhere), great boots, gloves and helmet - probably $3k worth of gear I wear each day.

Whiting57 is spot on!

Romper

·
Registered
814 Posts
Turn it on in front of me when I am driving my tractor trailer and I'm thinking you are giving me the right of way ....
I often flash my dim/bright headlights at a left turner to get the drivers attention. Are you saying that could be mistaken as a signal to go ahead?

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
I often flash my dim/bright headlights at a left turner to get the drivers attention. Are you saying that could be mistaken as a signal to go ahead?
YES ..... I often get flashed by 4 wheelers, especially after passing them and they are telling me when I'm clear of them, when I'm getting ready to pull out and pass someone, and at tight / busy intersections / roads etc, where it is either tight manoeuvering or when they are giving me the room I need to make the turn or use more than one lane to access a driveway .... if you are going to run a modulator, run it all the time, that way I know what it is.

And yes, occasionally I get the other type of flashing as well. (.) (.) :D ... That really gets my attention. LOL

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
In the days of cell phones and distractions, the best "cues" I get as a over the road trucker with over 2 million miles accident free, is by looking thru there rear windows and front windshields ... body language tells me a whole lot, especially head positioning.

Want to know if a traffic light is going to change ... look at the "walk sign" and get your cues front there. In North America, you can make a right hand turn at an intersection on a red light, watch their body language and it will tell you a whole lot. Some one who is creeping the turn, is thinking about, and probably will make that turn whether there is enough clear lane or not.

You can only forecast so much .... someone who makes a 4 lane swerve and jams up traffic to access an off ramp from the hammer lane is hard to predict until it is to late .... I just know I am going to get cut off at least 10 times a day in various ways, when it happens I don't get too fussed, after all, this means there is only 9 more times to go.

BTW ... think cell phones and texting are bad .... now they are putting WIFI in cars ... that will be a whole new distraction.... what's next, dash mounted I pads and tablets ... Yikes.

·
Living The Dream
1,516 Posts
The more technology that comes out should possibly start requiring people to take safety courses. I mean look inside Police vehicles once. All the tech they have going on and you tell me they are not distracted while driving? But they are trained I'm sure. That's just an example of course, there are many other professions that have similarities. UPS drivers, Ambulance drivers, etc...

And all new cars now are going towards the way of the touchscreen control center. Everything you can imagine all in one place. Another distraction of course.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Motorcycling is all about risk management, if you can either remove the risk or accept the worst case senario, ride on, if you you can not do either ... get off the bike. Rear ending any vehical is not risk management. While it is sad someone lost their life, they obviously lost focus and paid the ultimate price .

You couldn't have worded my thoughts any better!

·
Registered
814 Posts
YES ..... I often get flashed by 4 wheelers, especially after passing them and they are telling me when I'm clear of them, when I'm getting ready to pull out and pass someone, and at tight / busy intersections / roads etc, where it is either tight manoeuvering or when they are giving me the room I need to make the turn or use more than one lane to access a driveway .... if you are going to run a modulator, run it all the time, that way I know what it is.

And yes, occasionally I get the other type of flashing as well. (.) (.) :D ... That really gets my attention. LOL
Appreciate your input. Got me to thinking.:thinking:

I used to use a modulator all the time until I replaced the headlight with an HID. I always felt the modulator was affective in getting that little extra bit of attention from suspect drivers. Now I just flash bright/dim a few times to do the same in certain situations, and yes, I've sometimes been a little uncomfortable thinking the flashing could be misconstrued as a signal to proceed. Still in the undecided camp on this one since it's not "cut & dried" :confused:, so I'm thinking that just switching to brights until clear of suspect traffic may be a better tactic.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
http://www.news.com.au/national/vic...oorak-noble-park/story-fnii5sms-1227139105363

yet, another 2 accidents overnight (1 dead and 1 critical).

all these accidents are happening within a 50km radius of where i live...

The latest death happened last night with a young hoon taping his licence plate, honing at night time, smacking into a truck and then bouncing into the windscreen of another vehicle...

Gees.

Romper

·
Registered
143 Posts
all these accidents are happening within a 50km radius of where i live...
Where in Melbourne are you mate? I'm up in Ringwood.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.