Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By next week I will be exchanging my 2009 1700 Classic LT for a new Honda CB1100A (Canadian version with ABS)

I always wanted the type of bike that appealed to me when I was in my teens, but I didn't want to deal with servicing a vintage bike. Well, Honda just solved that problem with the new CB1100.

Please see my classified ad for the Mustang seat from my 1700 Classic LT if you are interested!

I just wanted to thank those on this forum that helped me either directly or indirectly through their useful posts. People like RACNRAY, David Sheek and Bubba in TX are invaluable resources. You don't get that kind of help on the Delphi Vulcan Riders Forum. In fact, on that forum, even the moderators flame noobs and less than 1 in 10 posts contain any useful content.

Some parting words to ponder:

A smart man only believes half of what he hears.
A truly wise man knows which half to believe.
...on forums, however, typing a post often masks the fact that someone is really talking out of his @$$

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just went from a 2013 CB1100 to my 2011 brand new Vulcan 900.

I loved the cb1100 but long runs and gas mileage swayed me away.

Be prepared for accessories coming from samurider in Japan. Stock seats seem to be changed out as with any bike, the bike is Rev and speed limited but there is a guy doing ecu programming now adding about 500 more rpm to the limit and taking the top end limit of 112 mph away.

The bike is recommended by gonna to run on 30 weight oil and in the cooler climate I would stick with that as my dealer used bulk 40 weight oil and I developed a low end knock so I dropped that oil and put in fresh 30 weight and all was well.

There is a great group over at cb1100forum.com check them out! I will remain active there as well...

The cb1100 new versions have been out in Japan for a few years but just made their way to north America last year.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I just went from a 2013 CB1100 to my 2011 brand new Vulcan 900.

I loved the cb1100 but long runs and gas mileage swayed me away.

Thanks for the heads up, but I'm already registered on the CB1100 forum. I did a lot of research before I pulled the trigger on the 2014 model. Twisted Throttle has many accessories for it and the Canadian rep for Twisted Throttle is pretty much in my backyard. The 2014 has many upgrades from your 2013 including a larger tank, polished engine casings, improved and more comprehensive guages...so many improvements, that a large number of 2013 owners are trading for the new 2014 (if they can find one!)

The CB1100 also gets upwards of 50 mpg so gas mileage is no problem.
To be honest though, the days of long, multi-day tours are behind me. The CB1100 is the perfect bike for quick jaunts, and hell, it just looks so damn good...like Japanese jewelery.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Have fun with ur new skoot. No doubt it is a great lookin skoot and now with the 6 speed tranny it'll be even better than last year's model.

Thanx for the kind words.

RACNRAY

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I got to ride one of those a month ago for about 50 miles.... What a scoot... I want one.... It's like riding in the 70's again...... with a different muffler...

No trade in of course. The nearest Honda/Yamaha/Kawi shop I go to can't keep the CB1100's in the store... they go quick...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Long time member of the 1100 forum, and that mileage your seeing of 50 mpg is not the norm. I would say a very good group get that miraculous 50+mpg but most on average are on the lower 40's. I was averaging 40mpg myself with the city riding I did commuting. The additional half gallon of gas in that new tank is nice I will give it that. I might have been able to go more than 117 miles before it flashing reserve... You will notice the gas gauge on the bike is not reliably accurate either as it was a big discussion about how far each bar on the digital gauge would get you.

As far as the "improved" gauges, that is an opinion thing I guess. To me the only thing better was the gear indicator but you get used to the bike and it isn't needed.

What user name do you have over on the 1100 forum?

As far as many members wanting to trade up for a 14, there are many who are wanting a 13 just as much. The fancy engine polish and such is an opinion thing, I preferred my blacked out US motor on the 13.

Glad you have a vendor there in Canada for accessories. Many 1100 owners go overseas to Mr Takahashi I believe his name is, as there just isn't a source in the US. Like for the side covers, chain cover, engine sliders, crash bars, etc.

You will enjoy the bike I know it. I enjoyed mine but I think I made a wise choice going with the Vulcan.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
My first bike was a UJM. I wanted to like the new Honda, bit it feels small to me. If they came out with a factory cafe bike based on the same chassis with rear foot controls, cafe fairing, and lower bars, I'd be interested.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The 1100 honda is a nice one for sure. Heck I just keep hanging on to my old trustworthy 1983 GS 1100E for the days I want to have a little fun and stretch my arms a bit.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have always liked that style and chrome fenders, im to spoiled riding behind the fairing and windsheild and stereo, But i'd love to have one for a second bike.

·
Registered
58 Posts
OOOO congrats that is one great looking motorcycle. It is on my short list for a second motorcycle. Though right now I am really leaning towards the fz09 for my second.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts