Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some opinions on this topic.

I love my Voyager 1700. I've put in a lot of $$. Ivanized, added pipes, air intake, foot pegs, clearview windsheild, Ohlins shocks, racetech gold valve and springs, cobra trunk rake.

But..... I'm always looking at other bikes :)

I do some moto camping and sometimes and it is in bit rough dirt roads that have been a challenge getting to with the voyager. I have also always been attracted to Adventure bikes. I have no dirt bike experience and don't plan to do 'off-road' dirt biking, other than getting to potential campsites. I also do some long distance trips. 500-600km days for 3 or 4 days.

I'm really interested in the Super Tenere ES. The suspension looks awesome and has good reviews. People say the comfort for street touring is awesome and just as good as any touring bike like Gold wing etc.....

The Super Tenere has more power and torque per lb which is obvious since i see people wheeling it and launching off dirt mounds. So looks like it would be fun for the get up.

It is appearing like win win. Has all the functionality i would need and more. Traction control and suspension that can be tweaked for rain, dirt, twisties.

What are the opinions?

· Registered
496 Posts
Suggest ask the folks who own them. I have been looking at this bike and many others in an effort to downsize from my Voyager. I am much closer to 70 than 60 and the Voyager getting to be a handful on road trips. Good luck!

· Registered
3 Posts
I just sold my 2014 Non-ES Super Tenere 3 weeks ago to free up money for the 2015 Vaquero I just bought last Saturday. I've been a Dual Sport and Adventure rider for almost 20 years. Nothing super serious, just the kind of riding that you're thinking of. Over the years, I've had almost every large, medium and small DS/ADV bike you can think of except for KTM's. The Super Tenere was by far the most comfortable, reliable, easiest to ride of them all. My son took me on a 7 hour tour of the Sierra mountains in Northern California the very first day I got on it. I did 3800 miles over 15 days riding it home from California back to Georgia. It's heavy and tall but still maneuverable and it will flat eat up the miles if needed. I recently moved to SW Georgia and at 65 years old, adventure style riding for me is limited, which is why I sold it and bought the Vaquero.

IMO, the ES version is only necessary if you ride two up or carry heavy loads on occasion. I set my suspension once and never touched it again. More important to me is getting a Gen 2, (2014+) for the upgraded clutch basket, cruise control and a few other minor upgrades. If you do get a Tenere, be sure to flash the ECU (if it's not already done).
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just sold my 2014 Non-ES Super Tenere 3 weeks ago to free up money for the 2015 Vaquero I just bought last Saturday. I've been a Dual Sport and Adventure rider for almost 20 years. Nothing super serious, just the kind of riding that you're thinking of. Over the years, I've had almost every large, medium and small DS/ADV bike you can think of except for KTM's. The Super Tenere was by far the most comfortable, reliable, easiest to ride of them all. My son took me on a 7 hour tour of the Sierra mountains in Northern California the very first day I got on it. I did 3800 miles over 15 days riding it home from California back to Georgia. It's heavy and tall but still maneuverable and it will flat eat up the miles if needed. I recently moved to SW Georgia and at 65 years old, adventure style riding for me is limited, which is why I sold it and bought the Vaquero.

IMO, the ES version is only necessary if you ride two up or carry heavy loads on occasion. I set my suspension once and never touched it again. More important to me is getting a Gen 2, (2014+) for the upgraded clutch basket, cruise control and a few other minor upgrades. If you do get a Tenere, be sure to flash the ECU (if it's not already done).
View attachment 260211 View attachment 260213 View attachment 260212
I'm looking at 2019 or newer, so ES I believe is only option. I would most definitely Flash. Hmmmm, though you have me wondering. I'm no spring chicken, 53 years old. I would have thought if i'm able to handle 900 lb bike now, the 575lb bike should be easier ?

· Registered
3 Posts
I'm looking at 2019 or newer, so ES I believe is only option. I would most definitely Flash. Hmmmm, though you have me wondering. I'm no spring chicken, 53 years old. I would have thought if i'm able to handle 900 lb bike now, the 575lb bike should be easier ?
A lot depends on how tall you are. You can see in my 1st picture, I'm on my toes. It was a beast to paddle around in parking lots and slopes. I totally got used to it but if you're on the shorter side, you need to pay a lot of attention to where you stop or park.

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A lot depends on how tall you are. You can see in my 1st picture, I'm on my toes. It was a beast to paddle around in parking lots and slopes. I totally got used to it but if you're on the shorter side, you need to pay a lot of attention to where you stop or park.
6'1" so I think i should be able to touch ground fairly easily.

· Registered
2012 Nomad
1,893 Posts
Is it as comfortable a ride as the Vaquero or Voyager?
I'm not saying it isn't, but I would have to ride it to believe it.

Voyager and Vaquero are definitely not off road bikes. I guess it boils down to where you will spend most of your riding time.

· Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it as comfortable a ride as the Vaquero or Voyager?
I'm not saying it isn't, but I would have to ride it to believe it.

Voyager and Vaquero are definitely not off road bikes. I guess it boils down to where you will spend most of your riding time.
There not off road bikes? Someone should have told me that :). Seriously, understood. I ride a bit on some gravel roads, some in pretty bad shape. I currently do ride mostly on the street.

My thinking is i could access more off road campsites or the ones i do but without as much concern (some have been a bit tricky). And if the ride on touring is 'as comfortable', then nothing lost.

Also, i believe the ST10 corners better? in that it wants to turn in, and has more clearance. Not that I'm a motoGP racer, but i have scrapped on my Voyager.

Very difficult decision since as you said until i ride it I won't know how comfortable it really is.

· Registered
2012 Nomad
1,893 Posts
I ride a Nomad which is the same as the Vaquero/Voyager without the trunk and front fairing.
It is the most comfortable cruiser I've ridden.
As an older geezer with back problems the smooth ride is important to me.

You may be younger and no back issues so if the ride on T is not quite as good as the Voyager, you may not even notice it.

The unfortunate part is, if you sell the Voyager or trade it, you will not be able to get your money out of all the mods you did. Speaking from experience!

· Registered
2006 Nomad 1600
266 Posts
With all the different bikes set up for this now it is not easy to choose. I am 57 been riding sense I was 13. I have been a sport, sport touring and KLR650 owner for yrs. I have just started to "slow down" and now ride my Nomad that I love, supper comfy.

From my non black top riding I will offer you this, the bigger the bike the more tip heavy it is. Once that top heavy bike starts to lean on the slippery stuff, sand, mud, dirt, good luck getting it to stay upright. Even on the trails up here in Wisconsin, the KLR is a handful with the road is not hard pack. I have ridden in 6" of soft sand trails on our ATV trails. It is not fun when you hit something that soft. More like point the bike forward hammer the throttle and hold on. If your front tire does come off center, you will be hard pressed to keep the bike up.

I was looking at the Yam Tracer 900 GT for my next play bike. Thinking of giving up my Hole Shot modded Bandit 1250S for the 900 GT. I have read and have been told it is a great bike with lots of power and is not as top heavy as all the other bigger bikes.

Just guessing but your could even get a Triumph Tiger 900 and be happy with that. Even some road bikes can be fitted with a set of 80/20 tires and be taken on some side roads. All depends on your comfort factor and what types of roads you plan on playing on. Good luck with your hunt....it is challenging and daunting bike world out there. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts