Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone here has experience with the Harley-style tractor seats. I replaced the factory seat with a seat I made that gives me about the same upright riding position as the tractor seats I've seen on old knucklehead Harleys. Problem is, it looks like a third-grader made it. (Come to think of it, I DID go to third grade...) I can buy a repro seat that will look a lot better, and I actually like the look of the old bikes from the 30's, but I have never ridden one. Are they comfy? The old bikes were hard tails, so the seat was on a "pogo" shaft. I can rig something up to mount it on the V2K, but I'd like some info from someone who has ridden one before I go to the trouble. Thanks in advance for any input.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Wondering if anyone here has experience with the Harley-style tractor seats. I replaced the factory seat with a seat I made that gives me about the same upright riding position as the tractor seats I've seen on old knucklehead Harleys. Problem is, it looks like a third-grader made it. (Come to think of it, I DID go to third grade...) I can buy a repro seat that will look a lot better, and I actually like the look of the old bikes from the 30's, but I have never ridden one. Are they comfy? The old bikes were hard tails, so the seat was on a "pogo" shaft. I can rig something up to mount it on the V2K, but I'd like some info from someone who has ridden one before I go to the trouble. Thanks in advance for any input.
doom'str,, there is a reason why those kinda seats.. and for that matter hardtails, went the way of the dinosaur.. they suk. big time. in the comfort dept. good for a 10 minute bar hopper. well not good. just that's how long it takes for your hiney to bleed out..
as for looks. well that's all in the eye of the :beer:holder. if you got a pair of :beer::beer: goggles,, even for some,, so Iv been told,, Hillary O'Killary can look like a SI model.. tho you'll probably wanna eat a bullet when the glasses come off.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotcha, thanks!

Too bad, so cool looking. Oh well, there is a local leatherworker who can make me a seat that looks more professional. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
I'v ridden old Ural bike, which is a knock-off of Old Nazi BMW 71R. It was back in USSR and it had old school tractor seat. Hit a bump, landed on my balz, sang like Robertino Loretti for a week after that... Never again.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They made police bikes with these seats. How did that ever work, I wonder? Did anybody tour on a motorcycle back when these were the stock seats?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
They made police bikes with these seats. How did that ever work, I wonder? Did anybody tour on a motorcycle back when these were the stock seats?
they haven't made those kinda seats in 65yrs.. most anybody who rode one is long dead by now.. even 60s the solo seats were dense foam. Suspension systems have come a long way since the ridged pogo stik and springer specials. good suspension is what makes wheels stay on the ground while you float above the fray. You are mistaking Nostalgia with Comfort. there was NOTHING comfortable about riding ridged suspenders and tractor frying pan seats.. them ol timers where hard an mean as stink on a skunked dawg the things they endured everyday. we live a life of pussy willow clouds and complain about every little discomfort or inconvenience.. next well be discussing cup holders, sheesh.. poncho

·
Premium Member
775 Posts

This is an old school thing. Right where it belongs - on display :). @Poncho will tell you make model and year.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I've been told those police bike seats are the most comfortable seats around. But they have dense, hard foam and are super wide and countered. Not soft and fluffy, but firm and supportive. Lots of LEO's out there spending an 8 or 12 hour shift on them!

·
Registered
702 Posts
doom'str,, there is a reason why those kinda seats.. and for that matter hardtails, went the way of the dinosaur.. they suk. big time. in the comfort dept. good for a 10 minute bar hopper. well not good. just that's how long it takes for your hiney to bleed out..
as for looks. well that's all in the eye of the :beer:holder. if you got a pair of :beer::beer: goggles,, even for some,, so Iv been told,, Hillary O'Killary can look like a SI model.. tho you'll probably wanna eat a bullet when the glasses come off.
There ain't enough alcohol in this world to EVER make her look good! :eek:

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
There ain't enough alcohol in this world to EVER make her look good! :eek:
bh, can be done. that's what the bullet(s) are for.. one for her and then one for you.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
stuck in the past,, time to move on

most all police depts. have shitcanned their expensive and extensive maintenance and downtime on old skool hardleys was eating their budget lunch. many have moved to modern cycles such as beemers, Vics even Kaws are popular, and a host of specialty bikes. lower cost, more reliable and simple inexpensive maintenance.. seems the only ones hanging on to their old iron are the more repressive local govs.. guido types.. pay up for protection from the ones you are paying up to.. sound familiar? its how our IRS tax system worx.. guido never had it so good. ponchout

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ponch, I don't think we're talking about the same seat. This is Harley part number 52004-25, which has been used on big twins from '36 to '80 (!).

This is what one guy on the Harley forum said:

"I have a 1976 FLH with a police solo seat mounted on the stock pogo stick and I love the ride it gives. In my opinion Harley has never made a more comfortable seat. I can ride all day long, I mean like 600 miles, and never get numb butt."

I've seen several comments of this type, so I'm inclined to give this a try. I called it a "tractor seat" because that is what it reminds me of. It is padded with some kind of foam and has a leather cover.

The thing I like about this seat is it gives an upright riding position with no pressure on the tailbone. I have an injured tailbone that made the stock seat agony.

The seat has a pivot that goes between the two gas tanks. Since our bikes have one tank, I'll have to get around this somehow. Also, the pogo I make will have to be shorter. I think that will be ok, since our bikes aren't rigid frames. The pogo could even be solid, I think.

Google "'36 knucklehead" and you will see the look. Very cool IMO.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Wide, flat, firm, supportive. It works! I believe folks when they tell me those police saddles are the best out there.

Ponch, Kawasaki continued to support the KZ1000P (a la "CHiPs") through 2005, but has never officially supported or designated a police bike since. A couple of private companies have taken and modified Concours 14's and created an unofficial-but-supported Concours 14P; but I read that recently Kaw has stopped supporting them and production of them has ceased due to some electrical problems with the aftermarket components. Bugs to work out.

A not always well known fact is that you can buy a KZ1000 as new as a 2005 model year; but it'll be a patrol variety and you'll have to pry it from some department nursing it along because they can't replace it!

I think a Vaquero patrol bike would be pretty cool. Solo seat, large flat metal plate for mounting their "trunk" that they use (they don't generally use OEM trunks), replace driving lights with red/blue (or blue/blue in some states). Would look cool! But many departments are moving to sport-touring platforms for sure.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well if PV was thinking the same as me, then we were thinking you meant the old steel tractor seat, no padding just steel, with a couple of springs at the back I think to give a bit of bounce.
Hardley should bring those back for their new models, a real tractor seat to go with the tractor motor that's hundred year old technology.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, sorry, I mis-named the seat I'm talking about. I'm obviously not very knowledgeable about Harleys. I didn't even know they made an un-padded steel seat. Wow.

It is a "police" seat that sits up on a pogo. It has 2" of firm padding and gives an upright riding position. These are supposedly super-comfy. I ordered one and will rig it up to the V2K. Everyone seems to want to go low in the seat on these bikes. I'm looking for something different.

Sorry about the confusion. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
183 Posts
most all police depts. have shitcanned their expensive and extensive maintenance and downtime on old skool hardleys was eating their budget lunch. many have moved to modern cycles such as beemers, Vics even Kaws are popular, and a host of specialty bikes. lower cost, more reliable and simple inexpensive maintenance.. seems the only ones hanging on to their old iron are the more repressive local govs.. guido types.. pay up for protection from the ones you are paying up to.. sound familiar? its how our IRS tax system worx.. guido never had it so good. ponchout
Poncho, a sports touring has more maneuverability and speed, is a no-brainer. Only when motor officer are just to look nice and write traffic tickets they have Harleys.

An older KZ1000 is on my list of bikes to get. :)

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Poncho, a sports touring has more maneuverability and speed, is a no-brainer. Only when motor officer are just to look nice and write traffic tickets they have Harleys.

An older KZ1000 is on my list of bikes to get. :)
Just like the rest of us, some prefer cruisers over sport touring bikes anyway.

There's a motor officer not far from me, rides a Harley police bike. Based on the Ultra. I think that's an FLHTCP? Something like that. I see him almost every day year round unless it's raining/snowing, leaving his garage on that bike. Wonder how many miles are on it! He usually gives me a wave. And once in a while, I'll see him have someone pulled over.

Some departments just use their bikes for parades or to 'show off' and rarely, if ever, actually have them out on patrol. Where my brother in law is employed (as a LEO), that's the case. Two Harley's, as long as he's worked there (several years now), there has never been a single motor officer and they haven't been used on patrol. They've just been ridden in parades by other officers who happen to ride their own motorcycles, or parked at booths/events to "show off". Seems like a waste. Surely they've got a cop or two willing to go to training and be a motor officer and ride that thing!

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
hardley bikes are for show.. they cant afford the maintenance.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We all own V2K's, so we've made that choice. I only looked at Harley seats because there are a zillion of them, both stock and aftermarket, to look at, while V2K seats are few and all about the same style. The stock riding position puts you right on your tailbone, and that doesn't work for everybody. The police seats give the riding position I want. Funny that you just mention Harleys and it polarizes the discussion right away.

Just remember that if it wasn't for Harley, Kawasaki would NEVER have made the V2K. Our bikes are COPIES of Harleys. I happen to think my copy is better than the original, that's why I bought it. But I'll stick a Harley seat on it in a heartbeat if it's more comfortable.

·
Registered
232 Posts
That's my attitude as well. Use an actual seat ripped off a Massey Furgusen if you want.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts