Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is somewhat difficult to explain but here goes:

Steering feels pretty solid on backroads at slower speeds, but it's likes to wander a bit at highway speeds and always seems to be leaning a bit to the left regardless of the slope of the road. If I take my hands of the handle bars, it instantly leans slightly to the left and starts to veer, again regardless of the slope of the road. Triple trees and risers also seem slightly angled to the left looking down at them while riding, but that could be my imagination. Seems to like to wander a little on take off and coming to a complete stop as well.

I've changed fork oil and checked levels, all good
Measured springs, in spec per the service manual

Any suggestions? I'm about ready to just replace springs, wheel bearings, neck bearings, the whole deal but I'm trying to avoid spending any unnecessary time/money.

I'm not entirely convinced it isn't the tire itself, but it's pretty new. I don't recall it handling this way before the new front tire, but I don't recall noticing it immediately after install either. I really didn't notice that much until I started riding with a group a few months back and was trying to hold a tighter line on the interstate than I'd usually worry about.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
72 Posts
You said that the front tire is ok.
What about the tire pressure?
A bike will tend to wander like you say when the head bearing is too tight or get a flat spot from sitting a long time.
Wheel bearings and springs should have nothing to do with it.

Just for the hell of it check your rear wheel adjustment. I had the same problem you have on another bike and it turned out the problem was in the REAR wheel not the front!

·
Registered
41 Posts
triple clamp bearings if you have high miles or they are not tight.

or you put too much pressure on your left foot or right handlebar..

take your choice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
a tire issue will show itself in less than 200 miles. look at the tire carefully. i am sure there are many pics to show what is wrong if it looks screwed. make sure right direction!! bought too many bikes to not think of the obvious, sorry for the basic advice, but it is true.

fix it, or dont ride it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You said that the triple tree looks like it is pointing to the left. It just may be!
If you removed the fork tubes for service, you may not have tightend them up properly.
Put a block or something under the front of the bike Loosen the four clamp bolts. Sit on the bike and have a buddy hold the fromt wheel perfectly straight while you turn the bars so that they line up straight.
This has happened to me in the past.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts