Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

towing

6K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Poncho Villa 
I dont believe watt am seeing.. is that road king (850lb) being tethered by two straps affixed to the 1/2"dia hiway lite bar??
Actually there are three straps. One is around the front wheel strapping it to the frame of the tow rig.

I know someone that used a very similar outfit. It ruined his fork seals on his trip towing it from central Nevada to Longview Texas. About 1,500 miles. It seemed the angle of the way the motorcycle sits, the rake angle due to it not actually sitting on the ground, and the angle produced into the forks during sharp 90 degree turns like driving through towns from the straps and position of the tow rig, produces a lot of lateral pressure on the fork tubes and both his shock seals were blown when he got to Texas. He rented a trailer on the return trip. It was on a Yamaha Venture. I now would not consider a set up like that. It is not like a trailer, it's towing plane it not flat. The motorcycle still wanted to lean in a turn putting pressure on everything.

Why would you ever need to get in a situation that would need you to back up? But it should be doable just like a short trailer would be. Or just drop it and get re-arrange in the direction you need to go and put it back on.

Hmmmmmmmmmm..... I towed my motorcycles and work motorcycles for many years on weekend/week long trips as it was either snowing where I lived or already had a couple feet of snow on the ground. But not where we were going....

As a motor cop working out of town several times it would snow while I was on patrol out of town while I was gone for the day. I would work next to Death Valley at times but the town I lived in was at 8k feet and we got snow all the way into July some years...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.