Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched the site and was unable to find if any company makes a hitch kit for a 900C. Anyone have any Leads on a Place?

·
Registered
4 Posts
i've researched this a bit and found opinons all over the map. One person noted that he and his wife topped 430lbs and trailered fine. You'll see the bike is only rated for 450lbs. Those that have trailered with the 900 have found it handles fine. I have never heard anyone say they had a negative experience.
Keep searchin' the web.
Really, the tongue weight is negligable (30lbs to 70lbs) depending on trailer so I guess if you are within tolerance of the max weight, the only affect could be on braking. To that I say that if you want to trailer, leave lots of extra space and use appropriate gear when going downhill so you do not have to rely heavily on the brake. Last thing you need is red hot brakes and boiled fluid.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I think someone on ebay sells them. You might try to search on there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

thanks everyone for your help

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
there is no hitch currently available for the 900 custom ... i have both the custom and the classic, here is a pick of my classic hitch ,

Of the 2 hitches available for the 900 classic, both are hidden hitches, one by "bigmoe" a member on this site and the other by Denray, a company here in Canada, but also available in the States. Both are simular in design which does not "suit " the custom's high rear fender style.

I am currently looking at a single wheel trailer for my custom ... here's the link and picture.

http://cyclope2000.com/intro_2002.swf

The way this company works is ... you buy the trailer and the receiver and hitch is custom made by a fabricator to suit your individual bike.

I was looking to use my existing trailer and just having to purchase a new top and fenders for color matching purposes .... if i modify a classic hitch to suit my custom (easily done) i would also have to modify the drawbar and receiver of my trailer to accomadate the change in hitch height.

I am also not sure the hitch would be totally hidden ... a deal breaker for me.

Another option is to go to a classic rear fender ... problem solved. The brakes on a custom are the same as the classic. I have pulled my trailer some 11500 miles over 2 trips, some 2 up , most solo. The bike has no issues pulling a trailer, handling and braking distances change for sure, the secret is in the loading and thats just a bit of practice. As far as the 450 lb load limit ...... fooey. My bike loaded, 2 up, trailer and all gear, rolling down the road is 1200 plus pounds.
bike 640
tlr 175
gear 100 +
us 300

my trailer and gear is less than some guys wives ....

I might still go the modified hitch and just get a new trailer and modify the drawbar ...
havent decided yet.

OOP"S

well lookey here, Denray is now offering a hitch for the custom ... note .... NOT Hidden. Probably because of the hitch ball height

http://www.motorcycle-hitch.com/Kawasaki.html

Any questions, just PM me ... Cheers Maurice

I just noted you are using hard luggage ... on a visable hitch, most of it may be hidden by the bags ??

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Great Information whiting
I am using hard luggage as well, i am going to give denray a call thurs or fri to see if i can get any pics of the hitch installed. I will let you know.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Hey Maurice, you'd better quit showing that picture of Ponch and Tina! He's gonna get embarrassed!

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Hey Maurice, you'd better quit showing that picture of Ponch and Tina! He's gonna get embarrassed!
Probably thought we wouldn't recognize him on his sport bike .... BTW thanks for the great write up and pics from your trip, haven't finished reading it yet, i will try and get it done now.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hidden Hitch on a Custom

If my pic upload works, here is a close up of my hitch on a Custom. With the tongue removed it's not visible from behind. Also there is slight interference between the receiver and the plastic licence plate bracket.
Many people tow with the 900. Lighter trailers are fine. As with any tow vehicle, more caution is used. Ride safe.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks Good BIGMOE, this one of your creations?
Will have to try something similiar.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Thanks for sharing, i did a "fenderectomy" on the plate and signal holder on my custom to clean up that whole rear end look. All you see is the plate as i have hard bags with built in signals.

This was the mock up, the bags have now been moved back about 4 to 6" and the plate to the end of the fender. I'm on the road so i can't give you an updated picture.

The bags now follow the fender crease, are closer to the bike by 2" and would probably cover up the hitch arms, what i am trying to get rid of is the gap between the bottom of the plate and the ball hitch if you get what i mean.

I can get a harbor freight trailer and alter the drawbar to match the bike hitch height, i just want the hitch to be relatively hidden when not in use.

·
Registered
256 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Got back from OshKosh 3 weeks ago. Trailering up to a top speed of 83 mph, no real problems though just jumping off the highway and going down to 30 to gas up from 83 mph would get me a temp light. It was 106 out. Dropping down to 70 mph for a couple minutes before getting off the highway stopped the temp light. Never boiled over.

All the 900's are the same bike with different trim. If you don't mind seeing the hitch on yours then tow away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts