Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Torque, torque, torque

7K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  SteveJB 
#1 · (Edited)
So I buy this brand new 2019 Kawasaki with 2 miles on the odometer. First problem I had was a "clunk" every time I hit a bump or apply hard braking on the front wheel. Eventually, I checked the fork clamp bolts and steering stem nut. I had to turn the steering stem nut almost 1/4 turn to tighten it to spec. Dealer claims it came from the factory that way.... whatever.

Next, I know how important rear axle alignment is so I check it. Left side at 3.25 hashes, right side at 3.5 hashes. No problem, I can adjust it. Apparently, a gorilla torqued the rear axle nut on because I had a hell of a time getting it loose. I have no way to know for sure but I estimate it was torqued to 160 ft-lbs. I moved the right side to 3.25 hashes. Okay so now rear axle is aligned and nut torqued properly, and belt now has a nice 4mm tension. It originally had 2.5mm tension.

/rant over

Can anyone tell me the size of the front axle nut so I can check it. I am starting to lose confidence in Kawasaki dealer assembly skills.

#2 ·
18mm per Kaw parts list

#3 ·
Is that the thread size or the nut size? My biggest wrench is an 18mm and it does not fit. I don't want to buy a wrench to find it to be wrong. Has anyone actually placed a wrench on the front axle nut? Please advise.

#4 ·
The parts image simply calls it "Nut, Flanged, 18mm 92015-1993". It's been so long since I had my 900 I don't remember which size I used to remove the front axle. If the 18mm doesn't fit, someone else with a 900 needs to chime in. Sorry I couldn't help.

#5 ·
Dude I would find a new Dealer - check any work done on your bike 100% it's your skin that will lose!!!

Bikes come in crates with handle bars / front ends disassembled for ease of Shipment - Dealer is Full of $hit!!! your skin / life is at play!!!

Oh Walmart has the metric / standard fits all wrench you need for the front axcle

#6 ·
You mean to say nobody can tell me the nut size? Can somebody please throw a wrench or a socket on their bike when they get home and let me know the size. I want to buy a individual 6-point socket for it.

Beibs, as far as dealers are concerned.... I would never take my bike to one other than a major warranty issue. Unfortunately, the only way to buy a new bike is through a dealer so I had no choice in that area.

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks Shadow01 !!!

No worries, I have a custom as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a video of 2014 Vulcan 900 Custom being unboxed:

The dealer basically assembles the bars, pegs, battery, and front wheel/fender. I can't blame the dealer for the rear axle or the steering stem nut (but it would have been nice if they had checked it).

We'll see how the front axle nut was torqued when I check it tonight. I CAN blame the dealer for that!

Stay tuned.....

#9 · (Edited)
Sledar, you're assuming the hash marks for the back wheel are perfectly aligned on both sides of the frame. They usually are not, so most likely your rear wheel is now OUT of alignment. Did you retention the drive belt while you were there? You're possibly voiding the warranty on your new bike by wrenching on it. Please be careful about this. Just FYI.

#10 ·
Actually

And I have NO idea why , the indicator ( hash marks) RARELY line up, Motion Pro makes an alignment tool that is pretty good , But I generally eyeball it. :devil2:, And don't even get me started on why they cannot design a system that doesn't tighten the chain when you torque the axle nut :crying2::crying2::crying2:

#11 ·
I don't trust Stealers regardless of the Make of machine.
Here in Canada we pay in excess of $300.00 for a PDI (pre-delivery inspection).
Any PDI should/must, involve more than a cursory glance. It requires physical checks. and at $300+ I would expect somewhat more than 3 hours labour.
My suggestion would be to go back to your dealer and insist on a PDI(assuming this is the norm in the USA) and watch them do it!

#13 ·
I am from Canada too....luckily I have a great dealer...but I am POSITIVE they are expected to check tolerances and such. I would call Kawi USA and start there....what a bunch of pooheads.....kills the excitement of getting a new bike!

#12 ·
You do not void warranty on your bike, not in the USA anyway, simply based on wrenching on it yourself.

That said, if your wrenching is the cause of a problem/failure then that would not be the mfg's responsibility to cover in warranty.

#14 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, but I am not going to take my bike back to any dealer unless I have a warranty claim for catastrophic engine failure or something along those lines. I had my last bike for 20 years and nobody but me ever wrenched on it. I just don't trust anyone else to do things right. On a high note... I was able to finally check the torque on my front axle nut and it was correct! Maybe the dealer wasn't as bad as I originally thought.

#15 ·
Yes,
The dealer is as bad as you originally thought, because he failed to check that all nuts,bolts and fasteners were tight and torqued to specs.You stated in your first post that the dealer said "It came that way".Is he assuming that, or did he check it and leave it? Whatever his action/inaction, it was wrong! (and potentially dangerous)
As I suggested earlier WATCH him do it!!!

#16 ·
Agreed, but watching them was never an option because I ordered the bike over the telephone. When it was ready, I had my buddy drive me 75 miles (120 km) to the dealer to pick it up so I could drive it home. I had gone to a closer dealer to check out the bike before purchasing, but this particular dealer had the best price. In the end, everyone arrived home safely. Moving forwards, I will just have to check all the fasteners myself and not return to that dealer.

#19 ·
Three years late and the answers are wrong. But hey, I still appreciate the effort! 😌

It’s actually a 24mm nut.

Ride safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.