Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got new passenger floor boards for the wife. They really look good on the bike and I think she will enjoy the ride more with the boards. When I installed them I gave the bolts about 1/4 turn after tight. The instructions said to torque them to the bikes specs. My question is what is the torque specs for these bolts and am I in the right torque range or do you think I over did it? Should I take it someplace to have the torque of these bolts checked?
Thanks
:confused:
bearpawh

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Baitis, Thanks for the link. Good information to bookmark and keep for future reference. Not working on anything just now, but will save for future questions....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thread locking compound

I'd also recommend the use of Loctite on the threads. Proper torque preloads the threads and keeps the bolts from coming loose, usually. But some Loctite on the floorboard bolts can provide some added security. The bolts for the front pegs on my Custom loosened up a couple of times, dealer torqued them once and I did the next time. And when I did it I added some Loctite. It's been over a year now and they haven't shook loose. Just a word of caution about Loctite, there are a few different grades with different holding "strengths". A couple allow you to remove the bolts or screws but there is one that is like super glue and you'd have to get the screws or bolts pretty hot to break the bond. Not anything you'd want to do where some rubber or plastic may be near.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'd also recommend the use of Loctite on the threads. Proper torque preloads the threads and keeps the bolts from coming loose, usually. But some Loctite on the floorboard bolts can provide some added security. The bolts for the front pegs on my Custom loosened up a couple of times, dealer torqued them once and I did the next time. And when I did it I added some Loctite. It's been over a year now and they haven't shook loose. Just a word of caution about Loctite, there are a few different grades with different holding "strengths". A couple allow you to remove the bolts or screws but there is one that is like super glue and you'd have to get the screws or bolts pretty hot to break the bond. Not anything you'd want to do where some rubber or plastic may be near.
Great points about the Loctite! I usually use the "blue" stuff (242 - or "meduim strength".) There are generics out there, but be careful to read the label. Aluminum and Stainless surfaces usually have to be primed before applying the Loctite.
Loctite and Anti-Seize aught to be in every MC owners tookbox...:D

They have a pretty good PDF "user's guide" online:
http://www.alliedbearings.com/downloads/doitrightuserguide.pdf

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
The manual I have lists the Footpeg Bracket Bolts as 25 N-m, 2.5 kgf-m or 18 Ft-lbs. This must be the passenger pegs since the manual is specifically for the Classic model and it has the Footboard Brackets listed separately. They don't have any notes for those bolts, but I agree with MrSpock; Locktite is a good idea.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Baitis, Thanks for the charts. I looked up the spec from gadget's fixit pages for the passenger floor boards and it said 14 ft lbs. So thats what I used for the new floor boards. Gadget's pages has all torques for the Vulcan Classic. I'll keep your info for all others. Thanks again.
bearpawh

1 - 7 of 7 Posts