Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother have a 07 lt and we put a power commander BAK and cobra pipes on it with the map from the power commander site runs great. My question is i read somewere top speen on the 900 is 105 he already had it up to 110 with a lot more to go. did the new program change the top speed. and if it didnt if he get it custom map can it be changed and to what.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well, these are not fast bikes by any stretch of the imagination, plus the speedometers are, as most motorcycle speedometers are, very liberal in the speed they display, to a figure of about 10 percent.

Top speed, probably about 105 to 110 actual with plenty of time to get there. I'm sure that others will chime in with various numbers.

How fast can they be made to go, well how much do you want to spend, 5, 10 or 50 thousand, and they can be made very quick. Its the old paradox, How fast can it go?, How much money do you want to spend?

But even with the low top speed, they are really a great bike and a well balanced bike. And that balance is what makes them so well accepted. :)

·
Registered
976 Posts
Been to 108 actual but it was down hill with a wind to my back. I'm purty big feller and the LT windshield isn't small.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Top speed from what I remember is between 114-120; I can't remember the exact number. The bike feels like it wants to do more but the ECU (rev limiter) holds it back.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I could be wrong but I belive the rev limiter stops at 115 mph. I have had mine up to 115mph on the speedo several times but I have noticed that if windy then that affects so on a windy day I hit 110 mph once. I do gotta tell you though, these bikes are not built for that kind of speed to be carefull out there!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Rev limiter is at 7200 rpm. If the speedo was dead on then 4th gear would top out at 106 and 5th would top out at 122 actual mph. Mine stock was 10% off which is typical and listed on Gadgets page as 'Kawasaki's are off 10%' so that ups the readout speed to 117 and 135.

When I hit my top speed the speedo was reading 120 which means I was doing 108 mph and 14 mph below the limiter, but it'd take even more special circumstances for the motor to make that kind of power. Heck, them's V2K speeds there. However, I have the shield off today because I wanted to have some air conditioning on the way home. Yesterday was 90% and with all the rain you'd swear we'd moved to Georgia. I'll be putting the shield back on when I get home though. not more than a 1/4 mile from home and blammo, right in the face mask. Kinda got that bug wiped off and hit another. It's half an hour before the sun starts coming up when I go to work in the middle of summer. Just get too many bugs to go nekked. But on my way back from getting lunch a quick blip on the throttle had me to 70 in third faster than you can spit. There might be something to taking that 2x4 sheet of plywood they call a shield off the bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got my 08 stock custom up to 110 (100 actual) no problem, not much left though. I now put on HK 3" Straights, Power Comander and a 200/70 rear wheel. The Rear wheel corrected the spedo most of the way (I check my speed against the new civics with HUD!!) I now can hit 100 actual from 85 with plenty left! I'll let you know more after Thursday's Ride :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
another way to get more top end out of our bikes and fix the need for a sixth gear is a smaller aftermarket rear sprocket/pulley. then use a gps to measure the results rather than the speedometer.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
another way to get more top end out of our bikes and fix the need for a sixth gear is a smaller aftermarket rear sprocket/pulley. then use a gps to measure the results rather than the speedometer.
Um, you add teeth to increase top end, drop rpm's. Less teeth would give you more bottom end. Hey, that would be fun too, lol.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Except in our bike, for those of you who want a 6th gear, when you go from 4th to 5th you're really only going a half gear. You can go faster in 4th. 5th is an overdrive. The motor doesn't produce enough horsepower at the rpm that 5th puts it in to go faster. Now yes, conditions can make one heck of an impact BUT on equal models on nice flat no windy places you're not getting the bike over 110 actual, maybe, probably less. Put it in 5th and 105 will be a stretch. There's only so much horsepower available. Is there a gearing between 4th and 5th that isn't past the power peak? I don't know.

Really, I"m happy between 80 and 0 with the occasional burst up to 100 but rarely over 90. This morning for instance I came up to a merge and accelerated, checked over the back, went back to the front view with mirrors while accelerating in 4th and after matching with the idiot that was coming up and passing in the right hand lane and who also finally moved over to the left lane so I could merge onto the freeway, looked down and we were doing 90. I slowed down and those two fools went by. Evidently their not familiar with all the deer traffic in the area and silly, still asleep me thought I was still in 3rd.

No harm or foul but having enough power is better than not enough.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Um, you add teeth to increase top end, drop rpm's. Less teeth would give you more bottom end. Hey, that would be fun too, lol.
Front pulley = more teeth to decrease RPM
Rear pulley = less teeth to decrease RPM

Kinda like the gears on a 10 speed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts