Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading how top heavy the voyager is. I currently ride a 95 concours. Full of fuel, it's pretty top heavy. Was wondering if anyone could give me a comparison of the two.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I keep reading how top heavy the voyager is. I currently ride a 95 concours. Full of fuel, it's pretty top heavy. Was wondering if anyone could give me a comparison of the two.
Thanks
Sorry,can't comment about the concours,but the 1700 to me is only heavy off the stand and very slow turns,Awesome bike,8k and still:grin2:

·
Registered
580 Posts
I don't find it top heavy at all once the wheels are rolling, except in very slow traffic. I can corner in the twisty's with the best of them.....hard on the floorboards tho :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have ridden both and own a Voyager

Concours is definitely more unstable if you are challenged in the leg department or carry a passenger

I found with the Voyagers the same as comments already posted, slow traffic is a real pain. As for maneuvering, plenty of practice in car parks, drag the rear brake and never get it on full lock.

Hope that helps a little.

Russ

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
I never could understand how you could compare different style motorcycles to other motorcycles. Top heavy is only an individual feeling. I have ridden motorcycles that people were afraid to ride because it was "top heavy" and those same motorcycles I have owned were no more top heavy than the moped I ride to the store.

My last motorcycle was notorious for being called top heavy. A Yamaha Venture. It wasn't no more top heavy than any other of the many scoots I have owned. But like the Voyager it was damn heavy. A heavy scoot does not make it automatically top heavy. Some people cannot handle a heavy motorcycle that approaches 1000 pounds when fully rigged out.

If you have short legs, modified seats and shocks can fix that. My Venture I actually raised the rear 3 inches as I am not short. It was actually the best riding scoot I ever owned for comfort with the most driver and passenger space, and it handled very well just like my Voyager does.

And yes I put the bars to the locks all the time. Being able to so so may save your life and also keep you from falling over at slow and medium speeds. It is not the end of the world to drag a floor board in a turn. But it does squish your foot every now and then against the engine as it comes up.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The Voyager is a big girl but she handles very well. Every "full dresser" I've ridden was very similar, as in heavy when not moving.

The only light weight bike with fairing/stereo/large bags is the Yamaha V-Star Deluxe. It's a great bike but no where near the comfort of the Voyager.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
There were only two motorcycles I have ridden that felt top heavy. Early 70s Honda 350, and mid 70s KZ 650.

For me, top heavy means the bike wants to fall over in the curves instead of a planted or neutral feel.

The best handling touring bike I have ever owned was the Voyager XII. Low cg with aftermarket suspension made that bike amazing!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I realize I'm comparing apples to oranges but you have no idea how much you've helped me out. Used voyagers are few & far between. If you do find one at a dealer, your chances of a test ride is almost nonexistent. I handle 440# on my Connie so hat much on a voyager should be relatively easy. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
While you are at the dealership sit on a Voyager with it up right and lean it back and forth a "little" and see how it feels. That is how it will feel while in your garage.
The major percent of all M/C falls are at a dead stop in your garage, or while parking it, moving it around, or backing it out for your garage for a ride.

You have not lived til you have a kickstand pop back up after you have let the scoot go over to land on it and it ain't there. The only time I have ever fell over with any scoot was on my KZ1000p police scoot (before we started riding HD's) while parking it in the my garage at home in its usual spot after work. The stand on those would pop back up if you slammed it down too fast. Yep, I went over to the left against the wall. Did not pop the windshield off which surprised me. The left bar end hit the wall at a good angle to stop it from going all the way over. So yes, when you least expect it, things happen. And yes.. even though I have been riding since the early 60's, taught MSF classes for over 20 years and still am currently certified, and did 24 years as a motor officer, I am not foolish enough to say that I won't ever go down. I just have a little better chance of it not happening, but it can still happen easy enough.

·
Registered
547 Posts
There were only two motorcycles I have ridden that felt top heavy. Early 70s Honda 350, and mid 70s KZ 650.

For me, top heavy means the bike wants to fall over in the curves instead of a planted or neutral feel.

The best handling touring bike I have ever owned was the Voyager XII. Low cg with aftermarket suspension made that bike amazing!
What your describing is not top heavy rather very positive steering... When the bike wants to fall into a corner its considered positive. You want one with positive steering jump on a Kingpin. If the bike is in the middle and just works without pulling down or standing up it's considered to be nuetral. Obviously if you have to muscle it through a corner its's negative. A lot of bikes with the big wide rear tires. Victory hammer comes to mind, want to stand up in the corners as they get pushed buy the big rear tire. Riding one you hav to "push" it down with the bars. These bad looking bikes have negative steering..

Top heavy, balanced etc is off the kickstand. How much weight your lifting..

That's the way I understand it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My opinion of top heavy is it wants to go down when coming to a stop.
And I correlate it to steering and handling (be it right or wrong). I found my 1600 Nad top heavy but not with the Voyager and the frame mounted fairing.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Top heavy, balanced etc is off the kickstand. How much weight your lifting..

That's the way I understand it.
Then, every bike is top heavy to someone, and some find no bike that is top heavy.

That means it is a relative term based on the rider's strength and size.

I see it more as the location of the cg when sitting still. My Voyager XII felt like a 750 because the fuel was under the seat.

·
Registered
35 Posts
While you are at the dealership sit on a Voyager with it up right and lean it back and forth a "little" and see how it feels. That is how it will feel while in your garage.
The major percent of all M/C falls are at a dead stop in your garage, or while parking it, moving it around, or backing it out for your garage for a ride.

You have not lived til you have a kickstand pop back up after you have let the scoot go over to land on it and it ain't there. The only time I have ever fell over with any scoot was on my KZ1000p police scoot (before we started riding HD's) while parking it in the my garage at home in its usual spot after work. The stand on those would pop back up if you slammed it down too fast. Yep, I went over to the left against the wall. Did not pop the windshield off which surprised me. The left bar end hit the wall at a good angle to stop it from going all the way over. So yes, when you least expect it, things happen. And yes.. even though I have been riding since the early 60's, taught MSF classes for over 20 years and still am currently certified, and did 24 years as a motor officer, I am not foolish enough to say that I won't ever go down. I just have a little better chance of it not happening, but it can still happen easy enough.

reminds me of when I was moving my 81 gs650g around in the garage after putting the motor back in(I think so I could get into the transmission of my truck) and my stand ended up getting thrown back up. only I didn't have a wall to stop me. thank god the gs was so flippin light.

between my kz and Vulcan(the only 2 I have left now:crying2:, which may turn to just the Vulcan), my Vulcan feels more top heavy than my kz does any day of the week, and my kz's seat is way higher, and there is only about 10lbs dry weight difference between the 2.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts