Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I got an issue I need help with. Cruising in 4th or 5th if I roll on the throttle quickly and put the engine under a good load I get this horrible almost metallic top end noise, or it atleast it sounds it. Possible spark knock or something. So I pulled plugs to check them and they're getting very weak spark. I'm gonna double check them with a spark tester and new ones. But does anyone have any experience dealing with the same issue? It's an 04 1600 classic with 12k, only has after market exhaust (I know I need to get a fuel controller). Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's raining today so I won't be riding but I just filled it up, do you think if I put octane boost in this tank it'd be OK to try an then next tank try 91 or 93.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If I run anything but premium in my 07 Nomad, it does what you are describing..."Cruising in 4th or 5th if I roll on the throttle quickly and put the engine under a good load I get this horrible almost metallic top end noise..."

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's probably what it is then. I'm gonna refill with premium. I did check spark though also, and they weren't giving fat blue spark. It was really weak. That's why I was concerned about coils.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK well I'm gonna change gas and plugs and hopefully she'll be ready to roll. Thanks sfair and others, I appreciate it. I'll post my findings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK well I'm gonna change gas and plugs and hopefully she'll be ready to roll. Thanks sfair and others, I appreciate it. I'll post my findings.

I would recommend checking the cam chain tensioners, although 12k would be really low for it to be the issue, I have heard in some places that they can need attention that early.

Here's a link to Jared's write up on it:
utahmotorcyclist.blogspot.com/2012/03/how-to-install-cam-chain-tensioner.html?m=1

For tensioner extenders:
chucksterscustoms.com/product/kawasaki-cam-chain-extenders/

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I hope it's not that. I had just filled up so I put octane boost in just til I get through this tank. By later today I will be filling up w/premium, changing plugs and doing alot of riding over the next few days. Will be going to "Thunder in the Valley" motorcycle rally. So I will update on my findings of how she runs. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I found Shell premium upped my performance and mileage significantly over other, cheaper brands. Cheap gas, 150 miles per tank, Shell 200+ on my '12 1700 Nomad .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I get what you're saying, but shell beat alero, sheets, Sunoco, Bp, Costco hi test hands down on my ride esp. Winter climate @ 30s in Virginia.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I live in VA also. I have a friend of mine that operated fuel deliver in the area and he ran fuel supply off of Balls Ford Road in Manassas VA. They supply fuel to all the local gas stations in the the area brand and non brand stations that's why I know this. So definitely has to do with the additives added prior to deliver to the particular Brand. Probably why you are experiencing the difference in the performance.

On my bike I have recently introduced the Archoil Fuel Modification 6200, I am on my third tank and thus far it would seem that the acceleration improved (crisp) no hesitation lots of get up and go. Have also used it in my wife's Toyota Highlander two tanks so far and I have seen improvement by 2 miles per gallon.

Good luck and keep us posted on your findings thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So it was the gas,,,, My girl is back!! Thanks fellas. I also ordered a Cobra Powrpro to make her run a little better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts