Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Givi sissybar/luggage rack combo on my bike, which I got mostly because I thought it looked nicer, and the OEM version of this was already really expensive. I've never really taken a passenger on the bike, but I figured it would be useful for strapping luggage to, not just on the rack, but on the passenger seat.

Fast forward a few months, and I'm realizing one thing that keeps me from replacing some trips by car with trips by bike is that I don't want to carry my helmet around in shops or restaurants. A large enough lockable top case seems like a good solution.

I was looking at some of the Givi top cases from 42-58 liters, but I'm starting to wonder: Is this luggage rack even big enough to attach them to, let alone allow the lid to open without hitting the backrest?

Have any of you used a top case at least big enough for a helmet and jacket, if not two helmets, with a luggage rack that sticks out the back of the sissybar? (I think the Kawasaki OEM one is of similar size, so I'm not going to restrict it to just people who have the same Givi one, but anyone with experience with that one in particular would be ideal.)

For reference, this is a stock photo of the luggage rack I'm dealing with:

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
This is a givi 56l. It is HUGE. can hold two helmets side by side. I seriously doubt you can use it as is in your bike. It's a pain in the ass to swing your leg over and it does not interfere with you sitting. I have the extended reach and my back does not touch the case. Here are pics of OEM soft case as well. All various stages of ownership since Nov 2016. I just hit 5100 miles today..

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That one does look a LOT bigger on that bike than in other pictures I've found. The base plate looks about 5 times larger than I assumed it to be from the limited pictures available, also.

I'm trying to make use of the rear luggage rack for several reasons, but among them, so I can put something else in the way of luggage on the seat (I'm not looking to carry a ton of weight, just bulk.), or potentially a passenger. If I could just bolt something on that rear rack, it would give maximum flexibility.

I feel like at this point, my only hope there would be to make friends with a welder or CNC guy, and have them fabricate a replacement rack that's a LOT bigger to attach to the sissybar?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts