Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I added a trailer hitch bought from Bigmoe. With a little bit of modification, we got it done. Wiring harness complete and she was ready to roll. 95 miles around town on Saturday, and the biggest problem was my first sunburn of 2013! Barely even notice the trailer is there. Even took it grocery shopping on the way home. Definitely sets down better with weight inside. Had so much fun, we went out again Sunday, adding another 250 miles.
SC to MA in mid-April. Can't wait.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1363661638.061556.jpg
ImageUploadedByMO Free1363661654.463157.jpg
ImageUploadedByMO Free1363661743.321258.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
What trailer is that?

Also, what kind of modification did you have to do? I was looking at getting a trailer hitch but the Denray one is a little over $300. What does bigmoe charge?

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Like my trailer, too. Hardly know it is even behind me. Pulled it doing two up to west Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, and back. Real smooth at about 75 mph.

Attachments

·
Registered
775 Posts
Stop

Try stopping quick at 75 with a loaded trailer !
Try stopping on loose gravel.
Try going up a steep hill on loose gravel,stopping for traffic,and then starting up again.
It's NOT all good with a trailer.
It makes riding more dangerous.
Yes,I pull one and yes,I have crashed it,and yes,your motorcycle maker does not approve of pulling a trailer,and yes,they can void your warranty.

JJ

Attachments

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Try stopping quick at 75 with a loaded trailer !
Try stopping on loose gravel.
Try going up a steep hill on loose gravel,stopping for traffic,and then starting up again.
It's NOT all good with a trailer.
It makes riding more dangerous.
Yes,I pull one and yes,I have crashed it,and yes,your motorcycle maker does not approve of pulling a trailer,and yes,they can void your warranty.

JJ
I think most people are aware of that.

Try hitting an air-headed driver that pulled out in front of you without airbags and a seatbelt.

Try getting rear ended without a bumper and a backseat... and a seatbelt.

Try getting T-Boned without side curtain airbags, a 5 point harness, a helmet, neck protector, and roll cage.

All in all, we make decisions every day that balance safety and convenience and pleasure. I think folks are aware a trailer is more dangerous. It's just that they are perfectly fine with that, and do mitigate the risks by taking additional precautions (extending following distances, slow around corners, properly loaded and maintained, etc.)

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have a coffin that I tow 7 ft long by 3 ft wide and have had it loaded to the tune of 600lbs and never had a problem just have to be careful and add stopping distance bit a trailer can make a camping trip much more enjoable

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I have a coffin that I tow 7 ft long by 3 ft wide and have had it loaded to the tune of 600lbs and never had a problem just have to be careful and add stopping distance bit a trailer can make a camping trip much more enjoable
That's what we want it for. To be able to take 2 solid weeks of camping and not need to do laundry, or stop off anywhere to buy groceries, etc. All we need to buy is ice for the cooler and water to stay hydrated. We can haul everything else. Clothes, big tent, groceries, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Just got to take into consideration all the factors, been pulling trailers behind my bike on cross country trips for 45 years now and without any major issues through flat lands, to winding rolling hills, into and out of very high mountains with some very steep winding grades, and all that over the years from dry to wet conditions, too.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
its all risk vs reward .... hauling a trailer never killed anyone ... the lack of common sense has ... unfortunately, common sense is all not that common.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
its all risk vs reward .... hauling a trailer never killed anyone ... the lack of common sense has ... unfortunately, common sense is all not that common.
The problem with common sense isn't that it's not all that common, it's that everyone thinks THEY have common sense and it's the OTHER GUY that doesn't.

According to a survey I read somewhere, greater than 90% of drivers believe their skills are ABOVE AVERAGE and that they are safer than the other drivers on the road.

Therein lies the problem!

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
What trailer is that?

Also, what kind of modification did you have to do? I was looking at getting a trailer hitch but the Denray one is a little over $300. What does bigmoe charge?

Romans, the one thing i don't like about this hitch ( more an observation than a criticism) is how far the ball sits out from the fender ... this changes weight distribution and handling ... the denray sits a lot closer to the fender. My thing is having the weight as close to the bike as possible.

Probably more a preference on my behalf.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts

Romans, the one thing i don't like about this hitch ( more an observation than a criticism) is how far the ball sits out from the fender ... this changes weight distribution and handling ... the denray sits a lot closer to the fender. My thing is having the weight as close to the bike as possible.

Probably more a preference on my behalf.
Well I'm brand new at this. I just thought the denray was my only option, didn't know someone else made one. The denray certainly looks better. Is it more/less just a bolt on? No cutting or modifying needed right?

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
The problem with common sense isn't that it's not all that common, it's that everyone thinks THEY have common sense and it's the OTHER GUY that doesn't.

According to a survey I read somewhere, greater than 90% of drivers believe their skills are ABOVE AVERAGE and that they are safer than the other drivers on the road.

Therein lies the problem!
very true, add in the technology challenges (texting and cell phones in general) and it all compounds the issues.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
The denray certainly looks better. Is it more/less just a bolt on? No cutting or modifying
you remove the rear fender, there are four bolt holes you have to drill out to a slightly larger sized hole ... i used the stock supplied bolts originally, one broke on my 2nd bustin bugs trip and i have replaced all 4 now with high tensile bolts ... average install time was 2 hours, and I'm fairly mechanically challenged.

There are a few places to get hitches ... Big Moe (btw, he has 1000"s of miles on his hitches) Denray, Classic industries http://www.classicind.com.au/Hitches/ , motorcycle hitch http://www.motorcycle-hitch.com/Kawasaki.html, just to name a few. Prices vary, i liked the chrome finish and the hidden look. Just a personal preference.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, mine becomes hidden. Simply pull the pin, the bolt slides out (just like on my truck) and the hitch tongue drops down. When I remove it, you really have to get down and look to find any evidence that there is a hitch receiver installed on the bike. Completely hidden by the license plate. I love that fact alone. And just around town, I've put on almost 400 miles in the last week practicing. Tows great, but I keep it in mind always, especially when crossing tracks, cornering and stopping.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
698 Posts
Do these trailers have braking systems? I reckon the vn900 brakes are a tad underpowered anyway, so wouldn't be keen on pulling up extra weight in a hurry.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Do these trailers have braking systems? I reckon the vn900 brakes are a tad underpowered anyway, so wouldn't be keen on pulling up extra weight in a hurry.
No they dont ... extra braking distances are needed depending on weight. Hauling a trailer requires focus and defensive driving skills, then again, a loaded trailer may weigh no more than a heffer onthe back of a Harley, they have a higher center of gravity, and i doubt they even think of extended braking.:D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts