Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today we had a poker run fundraiser along the lakeshore here in michigan. Being 95 today I took off my home made lowers to get some more wind in. Bad idea! I couldn't believe how much wind came through the bike, which blew my tee shirt up around my neck. Upper arms got sunburned big time and now spraying the aloe vera, only put the sunblock on my back exposed neck area. Neeless to say I'm putting the lowers back on right away.

·
Registered
851 Posts
It was so hot today I could hardly breath at times, that hot wind just sux the life from ya.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
We rode down to the lake & went swimming for a while , felt good , I was just out side 11pm , the air is still pretty thick out !! Still managed to put on 104mi ...... vary hot ones!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
We've finally got 90's here too this week. Rode the bike about 80 miles yesterday breaking my usual self-imposed rules about not riding in shorts. I rode in shorts and tennis shoes. I was also wondering if it would help to remove the lowers for a while, but now I'm glad to see you posted that, gmer. The lowers stay on! Today's high expected to be about 95. I'm riding to work, but today it will be with full length denim jeans and riding boots. I love the hot weather, no complaints here. (We spend way too much time the rest of the year complaining about how freakin' cold it is around here!)

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I love the hot weather, no complaints here. (We spend way too much time the rest of the year complaining about how freakin' cold it is around here!)
Well I'll complain then....75-80 and low humidity is just fine with me. This 90 deg, 80+% humidity crap is for the birds. I take no pleasure in being wringing wet just from standing outside.

Drove a good bit on Saturday, but yesterday I just hung out in the AC spots. :D

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
My wife doesn't do heat (90's) well, and has been complaining about the heat on her legs from her 900 LT. She asked if I would remove the lowers, which I did, and she says it has helped.

We always wear proper riding gear--our choice, of course--so there's no problem with getting sunburn. I imagine, though, that riding in just a tee shirt and shorts would result in sun and windburn. Sure ruins a good day, eh? Hope it heals up quickly for ya.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Thanks, Nomad. Luckily I didn't get sunburned or anything though. It was really only one round-trip ride I took, about 45 minutes each way starting around 8am. The worst I experienced was a few little occasional sand hits on the fronts on my exposed legs. I really don't make a habit of riding in shorts and a t-shirt and I usually mentally shake my head when I see an unprotected rider like that too. At least I still had my full-face helmet on!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Living in Florida this kinda sounds like a funny thread.
Lol...and Dallas! Come on down here for a bit. I have lost track of how many triple digit heat days we have seen in a row now!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Tulsa, OK here, and we've had multiple weeks over 100, with some of the day's heat factors getting as high as 114. Went for a ride Saturday night at sundown, and coming back at 9:30 p.m. in the dark, temp displays were still showing 100...

BLEGH!

The morning rides are good, the return is usually like holding a hair dryer in your face while you sit in the sauna. ;) WISH I had your 90's!!!

·
Registered
455 Posts
First off, it's the difference in temperature that is the problem. Your body adjusts over time.

90 here yesterday, rode a couple of hundred miles. Mostly back roads, with shade and lmited stopping. Had a 20 minute run without shade at 50, and the HD guys were cooked.

Never had lowers, or a windshield. Best move I made, was adding Kruy Loinghorns to my highway bar. Spreading my feet wide, and away from the engine. Best mod ever !

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
heat

I guess you won't hear me complaining about the heat after reading the guys in Texas and Florida! Funny how we forget about complaining about the winter cold and can't wait to get the 900 out as soon as we can? My sunburn is getting better, stupid me for not putting on sunscreen before we took off on our poker run, but the shirt never blows up like that witht he lowers on. My golfing friend that died last year of cancer always used to say a bad day on the course is better than any day at work. Guess that holds true with biking too?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Thanks, Nomad. Luckily I didn't get sunburned or anything though. It was really only one round-trip ride I took, about 45 minutes each way starting around 8am. The worst I experienced was a few little occasional sand hits on the fronts on my exposed legs. I really don't make a habit of riding in shorts and a t-shirt and I usually mentally shake my head when I see an unprotected rider like that too. At least I still had my full-face helmet on!
Well, we're all entitled to at least one mental backfire now and then. We were at Wing Ding (GWRRA Gold Wing national rally) in Billings, MT in '07. It was stinkin' hot and we all rode from the hotel to the rally site in jeans, tee shirts, tennis shoes and no helmets!! Felt naked.

Glad all was well that ended well. I saw this on a restroom wall at a restaurant we haunt a lot on the bikes. It's by Will Rogers. It says, "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgement." True words and good ones to live by. Of course, another one on the same piece of paper by him said, "Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!"

·
Registered
950 Posts
Well my Northern friends. Take a look and see what Texans have been riding in for two solid months.:cool: Needless to say, the cooling fan is on more often than not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well I'll complain then....75-80 and low humidity is just fine with me. This 90 deg, 80+% humidity crap is for the birds. I take no pleasure in being wringing wet just from standing outside.
I pray for weather like that to go riding in. Most of the summer here in LA is in the high 90's, with 90-95% humidity. Generally around 105+ heat index.

Really makes it tough to wear all the proper gear, but I know it's the smart thing to do

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have no lowers so I know how the shirt ridin up from the wind goes. I just tuck it in before I mount up, no problems then.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts