Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I fianally got to take my first ride out of the subdavision today since I have had my bike. Two guys from work and I took a 95 mile ride and it was so fun. I have some questions I would like some help on. My bike is a 08 custom.

It has a Hypercharger air cleaner, with a set of Hard Krome 3'' Big Straights on it. Almost every time I would get out of the gas going down hill or coming to a stop light it would back fire. So I guess it needs a Power commander or a Cobra fuel processor on it. It ran fine othere than the back firing.

The othere question I have is the Mirrors I guess are stock. They don't stick out far enough for me to see behind me. Well not right behind me I see more of my sholders. If I ajust them out more it sems to far to see the right area. Can I buy some that stick out farther?

The last question is the front tire is dryrotted. It has several cracks next to the wheel. The tread still looks real good. I did not see and cracks on the rear tire and its about half tread. Now to the question. What is a real good front tire to replace it with? One that will last longer than 5000 miles.

Thanks and sorry for all the questions.

Tim

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well to answer one of your questions...

Re. Mirrors, I find that if I angle the mirrors to resemble a diamond, kinda twist then up and out a little, you can angle them down and I find it works so much better. Much more of a long rearward view as opposed to a square limited view.

Matt

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
OK I fianally got to take my first ride out of the subdavision today since I have had my bike. Two guys from work and I took a 95 mile ride and it was so fun. I have some questions I would like some help on. My bike is a 08 custom.

It has a Hypercharger air cleaner, with a set of Hard Krome 3'' Big Straights on it. Almost every time I would get out of the gas going down hill or coming to a stop light it would back fire. So I guess it needs a Power commander or a Cobra fuel processor on it. It ran fine othere than the back firing.

sounds more like you have an air leak into the exhaust system which causes that kind of backfiring especially when you decelerate... check all the gaskets and connections in the exhaust train first.

The othere question I have is the Mirrors I guess are stock. They don't stick out far enough for me to see behind me. Well not right behind me I see more of my sholders. If I ajust them out more it sems to far to see the right area. Can I buy some that stick out farther?

sure... too many sites to name sell aftermarket stuff like that... try
cruisercustomizing.com...

The last question is the front tire is dryrotted. It has several cracks next to the wheel. The tread still looks real good. I did not see and cracks on the rear tire and its about half tread. Now to the question. What is a real good front tire to replace it with? One that will last longer than 5000 miles.

front tires ought to last a lot longer than that... many good brands...
Avon, Metzler, Bridgestone.... all will give good service....

Thanks and sorry for all the questions.

Tim
no problem...

Annie

·
Registered
953 Posts
here ya go for the mirrors, should do the trick

http://spacerjim.com/MirrorExt.html

Even with a power commander or EFI you will probaly experience some backfire, you could also marble, just search the forum. The best thing you could do is just put the hypercharger in a box and mail it to me! lol

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Swatcop I will have to try it and see how I like it. An thanks bigsarge2012 for the link. I like the one for after market mirrors. O and the hypercharger is in the mail.

Tim

·
Registered
82 Posts
When you say it backfires you mean it is coming through the aircleaner or the pipes? Better pipes are going to pop on deceleration from sucking air back in them. And you have big pipes!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bfp it is backfireing through the pipes. I just didnt think it was normal for it to do that. Almost everywhere I have read says with the mods I have it needs a power commander or some thing. Im a newby and just didnt know.

Tim

·
Registered
82 Posts
Tim that's not back firing when it pops in the pipes it's cold air being sucked back up the hot pipe on decel. I have the cobra tuner and couldn't be happier. Personally I would get a tuner but that's me. Cobra does alot of dyno testing and my neighbor is a vp there and he told me to just hook it up and leave it where it's set. I did, and it runs bitchin! Perfect mixture air/fuel.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It has a Hypercharger air cleaner, with a set of Hard Krome 3'' Big Straights on it. Almost every time I would get out of the gas going down hill or coming to a stop light it would back fire. So I guess it needs a Power commander or a Cobra fuel processor on it. It ran fine othere than the back firing.T
Has the EPA air system been 'marbled' yet? It was designed to let fresh, filtered air into your exhaust to help burn up unburned fuel and therefore improve emissions. A lot of people plug up or remove that system. Without the extra 02 in the exhaust the unspent fuel won't backfire. It probably doesn't need a fuel processor.

hth,

rick

·
Registered
82 Posts
I haven't heard "bitchin" used in the correct context since 1984:cool: Thanks for the grin.
You're welcome Ken! Like me you were probably in the neighborhood of 25 in 1984!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought the bike used. I don't know if it has been marbled yet. I have been reading up on it and will check next week when I am off work.

Tim

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

·
Registered
171 Posts
The Metzler 880 is a good tire, and so is the Pirelli MT66. And the Pirelli's can usually be found for a little less than the Metzlers.

And if you have dry rot cracking in your tires, you should change them, no matter how much tread is left on them.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Looks like it to me, i'm suprised that whoever put your Hypercharger on left it open. Yeah, stick a piece of blocked off hose or something on that bad boy.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Regarding the mirrors, if you find yourself reaching for the bars a bit, adding 2" risers on the Custom helps making riding more comfortable and gives a little better view out of the mirrors.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Lowers

Hello KenDawg,

where did you get the clamps to install the lowers on your bike?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts