Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I went for a ride through some twisting roads here in Southern Indiana, past the lake and down a really long windy road. I didn't know where it came out but I figured sooner or later I'd run into civilization or a highway.
Eventually I came to the newly minted I-69 and figured it was either back the way I came or take the highway back to my city and be there a lot faster. I'd never had it up that fast, also of note - I don't have any fairings or a windscreen on my bike. It was a bombastic experience. Not keen to do that again real soon without some modification, but the bike did not complain at 75-80 mph. It was mostly me feeling like my head was being buffeted by the wind... which I guess it was. I wear a full face but I didn't have my ear plugs in so it was pretty loud.
My commute has me going generally 40-45 mph around town, and that's perfect I think for the Vulcan. But it really doesn't seem to mind going much faster than that.

I just wanted to share my experience, I rode on the highway for the first time on my Vulcan 500 and it was overall a good experience but not one I'd like to do again without some different equipment on both me and the bike.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had an '06 Vulcan 500 and it was a champ on the freeway - fast and nimble. Yeah, you get some wind but you will on any bike without a windshield.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I now have no doubt it could do freeway riding all day if asked. My biggest problem was the wind, though. If I did a lot of fast riding like that I'd invest in an AM windscreen and definitely remember to wear my ear protection.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I now have no doubt it could do freeway riding all day if asked. My biggest problem was the wind, though. If I did a lot of fast riding like that I'd invest in an AM windscreen and definitely remember to wear my ear protection.

From someone that does Long Distance riding on a Vulcan 500 I can testify that the bike does do well on the interstate. A very large windshield/fairing helps a lot. Mack’s earplugs are my favorite.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to keep that in mind. I don't do a ton of highway riding but it'd be cool to cruise out of state somewhere sometime. For now I have to figure out why the MPG is so crummy. Just filled it up went about 80 mi and I had to switch to reserve today.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Some say, en500 is not a "real cruser" because it is not a v2. Smiley.
I love this bike. Strong enough, light enough, comfortable enough, affordable enough, reliable enough. And unique!

·
Registered
701 Posts
AND why do you care what others think of YOUR bike?
Never did understand that.
I dont care what others think - its mine and I like it.
And its NOT a v-twin - so what!
I have a windshield and I dont like to go 70. Everybody is different.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts