Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nearly-new naked bike - so far. While most everybody sez that cycles look cooler/meaner/yadda without windshields; wind in the face & chest just plain wears ya out - especially at highway speeds.

In juggling all the mods I could make, wind protection is high on the list. I'm looking at Windvest, the Kawi Cafe and a few others. Some advise caution about the cafe style since it may put wind "up your nose" depending on rider height.

I've trolled most all of the windshield-related threads and I realize that it's a very personal issue - both in appearance and performance.

I guess what I'm looking for is feedback - should a windshield/screen direct wind up and over the helmet instead of just off the chest or ??

·
Registered
941 Posts
I would say over the head, cuz if it gets you directly in the head, you'll look like a booble head. And your neck will be killing. Plus it might create an ungodly buffeting in your ears.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have the Cafe shield on the Custom and while I love the looks, it does nothing to protect your head. It does makes long trips bearable and reduces chest pressure.

On our last big ride a bird flew directly in the path of the rider in front of me. The bird hit the Ultra Classic windshield and exploded. Had it been me, the bird would have hit my face shield. If you are getting a shield for protection, go big. If you want it for looks, the Cafe fits the bill.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the Cafe shield on the Custom and while I love the looks, it does nothing to protect your head. It does makes long trips bearable and reduces chest pressure. ...... If you are getting a shield for protection, go big. If you want it for looks, the Cafe fits the bill.

John - the Cafe shield really appeals to me. I don't foresee long highway rides in the near future; at least until I can convince my lady to ride 2-up. If I get what you're saying, does the Cafe direct more air onto your helmet? Are you happy with it?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm 6'3" and ride with a 21" Memphis Fats quick release. The top of the windshield is right about where my nose is so I can relax and look through the windshield or sit up straight and look over it if I get caught in the rain. Either way, I don't get any buffeting compared with what I had when I had no windshield. Everything I read and researched when I went to buy mine said thats right where it should be.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I completely agree w/ PB. I'm 5'11" and running the 19" Memphis Fats w/ triggerlock. Everything I read said it should be about the bridge of your nose height.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You can get a bigger shield if you want, but when it comes right down to it, you measure for yourself only. There really isn't anything out there that has a measurement for the back rider.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm with PB. Memphis Shades Fats 21" with lowers. Way more comfortable at higher speeds. I bought the quick release hardware but the only time it comes off is when I'm cleaning the bike.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yes the Cafe does direct more air onto the helmet for me. I wear a 3/4 helmet with a face shield so I have protection. It is much better than no shield at all.

While I have been happy with the Cafe shield I realize that I need something bigger for real protection.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Rick,

I have a National Deflector shield on my custom. It directs the air just over my head. No problems with wind buffeting, and its small and blends in with the bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts