Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to check out a VN2000 later this morning and will very likely buy it. It seems like a screaming deal - a 2006 that looks pristine with only 4000 miles on it, and the asking price is $6000.

But does that raise a red flag to anyone? Is 4000 miles over 7 years so few that there could be problems from lack of use? Or can I relax and go get this amazing bike?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I bought my 1500 Vulcan new but last spring I bought an 06 Sporty as a second scoot with only 2200 miles on it. If I didn't find the PO a responsible and honest person I surely would not have considered the purchase. Also looking over the bike with a test drive is important. Follow your instincts. If this guy seems reputable, neat (check out his garage), well spoken, and the bike looks clean, go for it. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
A test ride will give you the best insight as to how well its been stored I would think.Some bargunning chips in your favor are the tires probably should be replaced soon if not new already becausethe rubber will deteriate over time, as well as any onther rubber componetns, hoses. An oil change will be in order also if not done recently. Would run a tank or 2 with fuel system cleaner just to be safe.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
As others stated, I would 100% fully be looking the bike over.

I'm going to assume it was garage kept. If so.. give it a good once over looking for corrosion that has built up. If you find a fair amount of it, to ME, that would be a sign that the guy just let it set there.. not really doing anything to it.

Now..all that stuff can be scrubbed off (or spiffy aftermarket stuff put on in it's place).

Like Rick said, check over the tires really good.

And your probably going to want to not just change out the oil (for your own piece of mind), but change the brake fluid and coolant (while checking out the condition of those lines also.)

Does he by any chance have a service history of the bike? A guy who's only ridding it that few miles will probably not be doing the work himself, but at the dealer... the dealer would have records of how often it's been in there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone for all the good advice. The plot thickens: the bike won't start. :-/ He says he rode it last week, and there were no problems. I have some work to do in the area, so I'm going to busy myself for a couple hours. He's going to bring it to a shop and figure it out. Hopefully it's just a minor hiccup...

·
Registered
482 Posts
I bought my 1500 Vulcan new but last spring I bought an 06 Sporty as a second scoot with only 2200 miles on it. If I didn't find the PO a responsible and honest person I surely would not have considered the purchase. Also looking over the bike with a test drive is important. Follow your instincts. If this guy seems reputable, neat (check out his garage), well spoken, and the bike looks clean, go for it. Just my 2 cents.

Agreeing with this gentleman, I puchased my old vulcan 2000 a 2007 with 2700 miles on it in 2012, didnt test ride it (because metric dealers suck) but went through it with a fine tooth comb, they chaged all the fluids and gave me a new front tire, the vulcan 2000 i have now was well maintained too but still the low miles pretty much sat the last two years, so getting her up to speed as budget allows, gonna try to get the brake light squared today so i can ride.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I bought my 07 last year with 4000 miles on it looked like new. Original owner had taken it in for oil change and inspection every 6 months at dealer had all paper work. Handed him cash and rode away put 6000 mile on it since not a problem one.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Bought my V2K with 7000 on the odo when it was 4 years old, test rode great-salesman was a pain to deal with so I got a wholesaler connection to make the deal. Have never looked back, it's a GREAT bike-I just spend too much on adding accessories every Spring. I do all the regular maintenance myself and I wish Kawi would put this motor in the Voyager-but I'm straying from the topic now... Buy the bike if the starting problem is minor

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Thank you everyone for all the good advice. The plot thickens: the bike won't start. :-/ He says he rode it last week, and there were no problems. I have some work to do in the area, so I'm going to busy myself for a couple hours. He's going to bring it to a shop and figure it out. Hopefully it's just a minor hiccup...
That phrase throws up a Red Flag for me. I've been around bikes all my life and NEVER have I had a bike that wouldn't start a week after I just had it running without some kind of incident. Sorry to toss in a wrench on the deal. Is it just me or does this owner seem like he's hiding something?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
This seems classic. Bought it, didn't like it or didn't ride it for whatever reason, but instead of selling it or trading it in then he sat on it, for years. It sat unmaintained, untouched. Sure he got it running, then kicked up that corrosion in the fuel tank into an injector OR this OR that OR something else. OR it NEVER Ran and he just assumed it would because he did 7 years ago the last time he rode it!

Still might be a good deal if you can get the price down quite a bit and you're prepared to tear into it (or pay someone to do so) to determine what issues may have arrive.

Frankly, I'd rather buy an '06 with 50,000 miles on it than one with fewer than 10,000 miles. With some exception- very rarely do I find bikes that have low miles AND are well maintained. Seems like if guys don't ride them, they don't maintain them either. Certain maintenance is needed even IF it isn't ridden.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
If its just that the battery was dead, thats one thing, but if it cranked good but didnt start, there may be a time and cash consuming problem. Defitnetly a bargonning point in your favor if you decide to buy.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
With some exception- very rarely do I find bikes that have low miles AND are well maintained. Seems like if guys don't ride them, they don't maintain them either. Certain maintenance is needed even IF it isn't ridden.
I guess I'm that exception.

Would you believe that my 04, as of this morning, only has 9,705 miles on it?

·
Registered
864 Posts
I guess I'm that exception.

Would you believe that my 04, as of this morning, only has 9,705 miles on it?
Ya but you never maintain it, i bet it hasnt been polished in the last 2 days.. lol

My second scoot gets ridden every week or 2, has 3k miles on it. Last week it wouldnt start, battery was finally gone. Its an 09 v2k with the factory original battery, it had lasted for almost 4 years. About a month ago i had run the battery down by leaving the key on , i put it on the trickle charger and it was fine for a couple of weeks then it just quit so its possible thats what happened to the bike thats for sale. Bulldozer, Smeds bike just might be the cleanest v2k in the USA.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I still wouldn't let it nix the deal if the bike is in otherwise great shape. Remember regardless of age its still a mechanical thing and mechanical things break plain and simple. Could just be one of many things: battery, fuse, starter, fuel pump, switches all of which are minor and can give at anytime. To get excited about something that ran(allegedly) last week and not this week is come down to the trust of did it run last week. About 75% of the no starts towed into my shop ran fine days, hours, minutes before, it happens. Give them a chance to fix it and move forward.

·
Registered
445 Posts
CFK,
FWIW last April a bought a 800 Classic with 659 miles on from a shop that had it on consignment. After a few weeks of riding it I brought it into a shop because it was popping and coughing at 50 mph and leaking fuel. It needed a petcock which is too common for this bike and I had all the fluids changed and a tune up. Yes it was expensive. Now I have I bike that is still brand new and runs like a top, starts every time and I still have a goofy grin when I finally get to jump on and go for a few hours.

Sure I would have been happier spending money on accessories that first month. It was an expensive lesson. If you can work out a deal where you have a few dollars for the unexpected repair I say go for it. I'm not sure about prices in your area but you can check on NADA.com and try to pay closer to low retail. As someone else already mentioned it's a used vehicle so don't be surprised if something needs to be fixed. Go with your gut and good luck.

Ron M

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you everyone for the great responses.

A couple of new wrinkles: 1) he lost the title and will have to replace it, so even if I move forward with this bike, it will be a solid 6 weeks until a transaction can take place. 2) (and this is the stinger) he maintained the bike based on miles NOT on time. So in 7 years he's had it professionally serviced only once! Not good. I rode it and enjoyed it very much, though.

Regarding the not being able to start, he replaced a fuse and it started up just fine. Still, the first thing I'd do is get it to a shop and get it a full tune up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts