Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a vaquero 2011. Since I bought this bike, I have never used the heel to shift gears. Is there a way to eliminate the heel pedal or buying a new pedal without the heel? Please give me your preferences on heel - toe shifting.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I like the heel-toe shifter. It removes the need to try and wedge your toe under the shifter, and in my opinion allows for quicker shifting either up or down. Not mention if you are wearing a nice(r) pair of shoes the toes wont get that mark from the shifter in it. I also think its more comfortable with the floor boards (or whatever the technical name for them is). Did take some getting used to though.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
lol this is like the 4th thread on this topic this week, I think. This suddenly became a very popular discussion point.

I never used mine on my 900. I just pretended it wasn't there.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I love the heel/toe shifter, after getting use to it now I couldn't imagine being without it.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I have a vaquero 2011. Since I bought this bike, I have never used the heel to shift gears. Is there a way to eliminate the heel pedal or buying a new pedal without the heel? Please give me your preferences on heel - toe shifting.
I didn't use it at first. Then one day I decided to see if I could get use to it and have never stopped using it since. That was close to 4 years ago.:)
Guess you could say "I don't leave home without it". lol

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
My bike actually shifts smoother and cleaner when I use the heel shifter. Plus, I keep my boots from being scuffed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I used the heel toe shifter mechanism on the Honda Trail 90 many, many years ago. I liked the shifter then and still utilize both today. Heel or toe doesn't matter to me. No preference just depends on my situation and mood.
:D

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I used mine for a long time then kind of quit using it.

OP; I'd look and see if you can find another toe shifter with the same spline pattern and size for your bike. Otherwise you could cut it off. Maybe find a bent one on eBay or something and just cut off the heel shifter.

Unlike other bikes, the heel shifter on Vulcans is out of the way. I don't use mine but I kind of ignore it anyway. Once in a while I use it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
For me, it's a lot easier to set my heel down to shift then to pull up with my toes.
Will never have a bike without it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I only push down. Down on the toe for first and on down shifting and the heel for up shifting. All I've ever known. Love the Heel & Toe and floorboards.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Well, it's really redundant to reply to what everyone else is already saying, but I love the heel-toe shifter on my Voyager; much smoother shifting, in my opinion.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Most may find this wierd but I have no clue if I use it or not. I just shift. If I remember I will pay attention next time I ride.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Why would you need to cut the heel shifter off ? I wear a size 11 boot and to use the heel shifter I must shift my foot back a few inches to get to it that is why it doesn't get used much.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I use both. I like the heal shifter better but for some reason, when I think I have to accelerate quickly through the gears, I tend to use the toe.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Not a fan of the heel shift either, I never use it and I find gets in my way when I want to bring my feet in closer to the engine (especially on those chillier winter rides). The only reason I haven't chopped it yet is because it's the easiest way to find Neutral when the transmission decides to play keep away.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My 900 is the first bike I have ever had with a heel-toe shifter. Took some getting used too. I find now that I use the heel most of the time unless I am shifting in a turn then I feel more comfortable with the toe. Has to do with the physics during the turn I suspect.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My preference is toe-shifting. I'm not very comfortable with heel-shifting. I want to get rid off it because I found myself heel-shifting by mistake. I almost lost control of the bike at one point in a turn. If i can not find a solution to eliminate the heel part, I will have to get familiar with it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts