Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...so my boot is pretty big. I came from racing and riding sport bikes. Never have liked the heel shifter. I feel as though I ride pigeon toed.
Anyone know where I could get a toe shift only to replace the stock?

I may just have to take it off, cut it down, and polish it back up.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I was the same way until I rented an Ultra a few years ago and the first time I came to a stop about 12 miles from the rental place my boot would not fit under the toe shifter so I had no choice but to use the heel shifter. After about 170 miles that day I was hooked. It would be hard for me to go back to a cruiser without a heel shifter now. It takes a lot less effort with the heel shifter.

·
Registered
108 Posts
When I bought my Vaquero, I was unsure of the heel shifter as well. But, after a short time of making an effort to use it instead of lifting with my toe, it has become second nature and actually easier. And my boot is more than just pretty big, its downright huge(size 15). I just wish there was a little more space between the two pads, I may have to remove the shifter and add an inch to each side.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
You can adjust the shifter to where the heel tab is same height or below the footrest and then it will be out of the way. That will also give you more toe room for your big boot.

Or cut it off. I have seen a lot of that. I don't know if you will find a toe shift bar that will be the correct length/side kick out that will work all that well without having to modify it some anyway..

I have a size 13 Sasquatch foot, but I could not live without a heel shift with floorboards. The way I have it adjusted my toe cannot even think about getting under it. The front toe bar is lower than the heel pad.

I have one scoot with floorboards and toe shift only. To me that is awkward. But without floorboards, toe shift is fine.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Racer Phill,

I was in this same boat back in May of this year. Hated the heel shifter. And I like you read the forums and got the advise to try it, you'll like it. So I said ok, and tried it for a week, hated it. Tried it for a second week, still hated it. And just to be safe, I tried it for a third week, still hated! Fourth week, cut the thing off and LOVED it! More room for my boot. I could change the position of my boot, from front of floorboard to rear of floorboard. I could easily get my foot back on the floorboard from stops and not have to find the exact spot where my boot would fit. No regrets! So try it for awhile and if it doesn't work out, well you know what to do...

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
On my V2K I had the heel shifter adjusted to where it was sitting almost even with the floorboard and would drop below it when shifting. I like the heel shifter but wanted more room. Do the Vaqs have a 1 piece or 2 piece shifter? The V2K has a 2 piece shifter, you can remove the heel shifter and replace with a spacer to keep the toe shifter in the right place.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not a great pic but just decided to get it done today. I was amazed how easy the floorboard was to get off the bike. My old VTX was much more difficult.

bye bye heel!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
racer_phill: nice work, looks good.

What did you use to cut off the heel section? Did you paint the exposed metal?

No problems removing/replacing the floorboard?

Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
racer_phill: nice work, looks good.

What did you use to cut off the heel section? Did you paint the exposed metal?

No problems removing/replacing the floorboard?

Thanks
I used a circular saw to cut it. The metal is super soft. It is not a hardened metal at all. Then I took a metal file to polish it up a bit. I did not paint it. I don't typically ride when it is wet.
The floorboards are such a breeze on this bike. One E clip and pull it off. So simple! My old VTX was a bear to take them off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts