Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,

Just wondering - Do most of you use a windshield? Use a detachable? Do you find yourself ever taking the detachable off? If you do not use a windshield, do you not get on the interstate very often? If you do not use a windshield, do you find yourself having to wear at least a 3/4 helmet with shield?

For those of you that do use a windshield, what do you suggest? I have a red 08 900 custom. I want to keep it looking "mean". I have thought about this one:http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/memphis-shades-bullet-fairing-kawasaki-vn900-custom-07-11/part/MEM7111 , but I am not sure it would provide enough coverage for me. Im 5.11. about 175lbs.

And feedback would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I'm on the same custom (PASSION RED) and have National Cycle's 2-up switchblade shield. It's quite large on the custom, so isn't all that aesthetically pleasing, but I've gotten used to the look. It *RARELY* comes off except for the occasional jaunt when I know I'm staying at speeds under 45 and in town, or on those days when I just want that sleeker look. 5 seconds attach/detach. If I sit up straight, I can see over it easy, or I can settle in and look through it in need (i.e. rain, sand, etc.) I still get some buffeting, wind bouncin' up off my knees, but it's hard to imagine putting lowers on somehow and still keeping the quick detach function.

(EDIT: by "some buffeting" I mean wind that comes up from below the shield, and when in my full face helmet (rare), it flows right up into it... It's actually a much EASIER ride though, what with the wind off my chest, and when I go lidless, is very pleasant.)

Ol' Redemption, she still gets lots o' positive comments, shield or no, and I've settled in with the look now so it's not as drastic as it once seemed. Summer highway riding, all those fat and juicy bug-type things... well... 'nuff said. One splotch on the shield that was about half as big as my fist convinced me of the usefulness, and watching a rock about the size of a quarter bounce off of it on the super slab sealed the deal. That and a scare on one of the back road country trips with a couple of wild turkeys... (the living kind, non-liquid) Well, I'll take the shield any day! :)

Will see if I can't dig out a couple of pics with the shield on, but I think there's a thread out there somewhere in the 900 forums, too.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
On my previous bike (Honda Shadow Sabre 1100) I also used the Nat'l Cycle detachable 2-up. It is indeed 5 seconds to remove or put back in place, and just as fast to install a shorter windshield in place. I found the removable made cleaning the windshield much easier (I removed it and put it in my mop sink), and I removed on hot days to get more wind.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I use a windshield. I love it. Less 'pressure' on your chest, and if you get caught in a thunderstorm like I did last night (20% chance of rain turned into hail and torrential downpours and I was an hour from home) it's a lifesaver. I was riding with a fried who had no windshield and he was soaked to the bone and miserable. I was wet too, but my body was dry. (My overpants are waterproof, jacket is not... I have a rain liner... but the ONE time I decide to take it out of the saddlebag...)

I just use the OEM shield with lowers.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Good morning all,

Just wondering - Do most of you use a windshield? Use a detachable? Do you find yourself ever taking the detachable off? If you do not use a windshield, do you not get on the interstate very often? If you do not use a windshield, do you find yourself having to wear at least a 3/4 helmet with shield?

For those of you that do use a windshield, what do you suggest? I have a red 08 900 custom. I want to keep it looking "mean". I have thought about this one:http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/memphis-shades-bullet-fairing-kawasaki-vn900-custom-07-11/part/MEM7111 , but I am not sure it would provide enough coverage for me. Im 5.11. about 175lbs.

And feedback would be great! Thanks!
I have a Classic, with the OEM windshield.
When I was riding the 500 with no windshield I noticed a lot of wind and the bike had a tendency to drift on the highway. Part of the reason to get the 900 was more comfortable highway riding, but I noticed the same thing on the 900. I had never ridden with a windshield (my dad's Harley had one) and I was a bit concerned about how it would feel.

But after about 3 minutes on the highway with the windshield, I was hooked and have never considered taking it off. I did add some homemade lowers, but that was driven by a long ride in fairly cold weather (47F) and noticing that wind would blow under the windshield and up my helmet. The lowers fixed that problem.

Also, I wear a full-face helmet.

Rod

·
BOTM Winner, October/2012
291 Posts
heres a picture of my custom with a shield on it. a windshield was the last thing i wanted to put on my bike, went two years without one. then i rode my father-in-laws heritage that had a shield and had to have one for my bike. never have thought about taking it off..LOL

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Windshield is a winner!

Like others have mentioned, I like the look of no windshield, but decided to add one (Memphis Shades Speed Demon w/trigger locks). Wow, what a difference it made to freeway riding. I no longer feel like my chest is getting thumped on by a Gorilla. I may add some lowers real soon. With the windshield I can now use an open faced helmet.

·
Registered
77 Posts
X 2 on what's been said so far........I was like you a few months ago, sitting on the fence about whether to get a windshield or not. I ended up getting a small shield from here [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Windscreen-Windshield-Sportster-Boulevard/dp/B005LQIT5Q[/ame] . After I got the windshield, I had buffeting issues while wearing a full face helmet, so I made some lowers that remedied that problem.
If I want to take it all off, takes no longer than 5 minutes and 5 minutes to reinstall.
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22976

·
Registered
451 Posts
My first cruiser, a Suzuki C50, was bought naked, cause I liked the look. Wasn't long, though, before I decided I wanted to carry basics (bags) and didn't like bugs in the teeth--especially june bugs and bees in the forehead, so along came a windshield. I put on a Memphis fat, and always had a lot of buffeting with it.

I upgraded a few years ago to a 9LT, and have the windshield set at about eyebrow height when sitting normally. I can sit up straight to see over it, or slouch down to hide behind it. With lowers, buffeting is nonexistent, unless there's a side wind.

·
Registered
698 Posts
heres a picture of my custom with a shield on it. a windshield was the last thing i wanted to put on my bike, went two years without one. then i rode my father-in-laws heritage that had a shield and had to have one for my bike. never have thought about taking it off..LOL

What shield is that?

·
Registered
492 Posts
My 08 900 Custom, also red, wears a National Cycles Heavy Duty that I cut to fit my height. It never comes off. Rain and bugs are never ending in Florida. If it's not raining, you've got bugs!

If you are thinking about a light bar also, do your research about fitting the windshield and the light bar together before you buy either.

·
Registered
432 Posts
40+ years of riding bikes...hated the ugly clunky looking things, my thought was I wanted to ride a bike in the wind, windshields removed the biking experience and put it in a class with a goldfish bowl on two wheels.

Last year bought a used 800 that came with Memphis shades model unknown. Rode the bike home and immediately took the shield off. First time I had ever been behind one. One day later I put it back on. I can't believe my stubborn stupidity in not having one all those years. Yes the bike looks cleaner without it but the comfort level is not even close. Bugs, rain, rocks and wind. It's a huge difference and I'll never be without one again.

Get a shield don't be bugged!

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
When I first got my red 2008 custom I rode it without a windshield for two weeks without a windshield. I too liked the looks without one. However I broke down and ordered the OEM cafe style. While I liked the looks it basically did very little especially at higher speeds. I purchased the OEM 17" windshield this year and have only ridden it once with it but noticed a huge improvement. I will say it does not have any heavy hardware so basically you barely see it. Here is a link with a great price on it.

http://www.streetndirt.com/Items/K46001-086?&caSKU=K46001-086&caTitle=New OEM Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom Short Windshield

BTW I am 5'9" tall and sorry don't have a pic with it yet

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also have a Memphis Shades Big Shot windshield with trigger release. On in 30 seconds, off in less. During summer (when it's very warm) I take it off to drive to work back and forth all week long. On weekends I might put it back on. As long as I'm keeping it mostly under 60mph, no rain and no cold I like the windshield off. When I'm taking highway and/or going long distance, I use the windshield.

·
Registered
113 Posts
+1 on all the positives about the windshields. My 08 custom came to me with a Memphis shades Alley Cat -- as others have noted, on and off in 10 sec. The hardware for this and other MS "sport shields" is very clean and IMO looks fine on the custom. I'm 5'8" and do get a little buffeting with this shield at highway speeds... but I (and the previous owner) are bug-free because of it... (see pic of the bike on your left...)

Incidentally, I just bought the MS batwing with 7" windshield and lowers (specific to the custom) and rode it for an hour today... again some mild buffeting at highway speed, but MUCH improved coverage for hands/upper body. Sorry, no pics, but there are a couple of threads about this on the forum already that do have good images...

Since both fairings mount to the same hardware, I'll likely switch between the two depending on the weather...

·
Registered
424 Posts
I thought the quick detatch trigger lock was a great idea 2 years ago when the batwing went on. But I only take it off to work on the front end. Comes off easy though.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts