Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,I am new here and I have been looking at a 2006 v900 it has 20k on the dash the po says it has cobra pipes and a power command. Not sure what that is, Also says there is no issues with the bike and I am goin go to check it out this weekend! What are some things to look for when checking out this Vulcan, this will be my first cruiser . Right now I am ridding an on/ off road Honda bike which I love but I might like a cruiser more. Let me know what you think thank you!

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
303 Posts
People really like the 900s...no major problems with them really..just check it out throughly like you would any other bike

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Kawichris, The 900 is a fuel injected bike, there's no carburetor. The fuel mix is controlled by a computer. When you make performance modifications, like after-market exhaust and/or air boxes, the computer's signals need to be altered to accommodate the modified air flow. A power commander is an add-on that makes it possible for you to tune the fuel delivery to match the performance of the engine.

Ask about the stator. The first few years of this model had a tendency to burn the OEM stator. This doesn't happen to every bike made in 2006, but it's good to know weather or not it's been replaced. If it needs it, it's not a difficult repair, but if you're not up to it, it can be expensive at a shop.

Find out if he has the OEM exhaust. Many owners have put on after-market and realized it was too loud and put the OEM back on. Don't pay extra for the exhaust and power commander unless you like the sound. The performance difference won't be noticeable without intake upgrades.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the descriptive response, I will definitely ask those questions plus some. The plan is actually to trade my enduro for his Vulcan, no money involved.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Find out if it's a power commander 3 or 5. Commonly known as PCIII or PCV. You can get more info on them here. Power Commander | Dynojet

·
Registered
2008 Vulcan 900
60 Posts
Cobra pipes are loud, make sure that is something you want before you commit to it. I have the cobra dragsters on my 900 and I personally love it... luckily, when I leave for work at 4am, my ride out of the neighborhood is mostly downhill. I can keep it fairly quiet at that time. Coming back uphill on the way home though: everyone knows it’s me. I’m louder than both my Harley neighbors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I made the trade today! Wow I am impressed this thing is so freaking smooth especially coming from a street legal dirt bike. I absolutely love it, the pipes are loud but I like the tone so I’m cool with it. One thing I noticed after letting of the throttle there was a random backfire, only happened twice so I’m assuming it is because of the pipes idk. Other than that I couldn’t find anything wrong with it, I was looking. He said he thinks it has the power command 3 but he purchased it with it already installed. I don’t know anything about the bike tbh but I will most definitely do some research and really get to know what it is about!
i will be getting a service manual so I can stay on top of the maintenance, I’m totally excited and can’t wait to hop back on this gem. Also he doesn’t believe the stator has ever been replaced. Is there a way to test if it’s going out or will it just crap out on you when it fails.
Thanks again

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also forgot to mention when the key is turned obviously the fuel pump primes, but it sounded like there was a skip in the prime and it wasn’t one continuous prime. I’m not sure if that is normal, is there a fuel filter somewhere? I am planning on draining the fuel and putting some fresh gas in. I have a feeling there is some crap in the tank, would hate to suck something through the pump and get clogged up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you're having backfire issues with the Cobra pipes, you should consider re-flashing the ECU. This is a much more comprehensive fix than the Power Command. Check out Ivan's page at: Ivan's Performance Products
I had this done on my Nomad 1700 and it was a completely different bike, even with stock exhausts!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am no motorcycle expert but I just bought 2011 Vulcan 900 classic LT in Feb, had it delivered in April. While I have only ridden it about 500 miles, I absolutely love it! Starts smoothly and easily. Runs smoothly. Accelerates smoothly. Shifts smoothly. And the suspension is smooth, too. She is great!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So after putting some hours on the bike And figuring it out, I absolutely love it! A few things I have noticed were the headlight shakes like crazy, there is a squeak coming from the breaks, the clutch seems to release at the end of the lever release and the back-firing which I will look into the previous post. Also the tires were low so when I took both hands off of the bars the front end would wobble like a mofo, super sketchy since this is my first motorcycle and started riding this week lol. I put 38 psi up front and 40 in rear seems to feel much better to me I found the numbers on another post. The lock for the seat seems to be stuck but I’m working on that and think I can manage releasing the seat and fixing that up. Other than those small things it’s super smooth, handles great and fits me very well. I am planning on giving it a tune up and a bath, basically just changing the oil/ filter new plugs and unless there is any other maintenance suggested at 20k miles. Gotta love Kawasaki 🏍

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Try pressing down on the seat, right at the transition from driver to passenger, while you turn the key. You may just have to release the stress on the latch to get it loose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Took me a few minutes but as soon as I turned the key to the right it came right off lmao roomy mistake! Thank you

1 - 16 of 16 Posts