Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a thought (probably in these forums somewhere) about the debaffling.

knowing what I know now has anyone attempted/willing to attempt, for the sake of testing, just drilling the inner baffle disc and seeing what it sounded like?

pic for reference at the bottom. the inner disc is what creates the diversion of air through the holes thus creating the quieter tone. Being that this 1" or so pipe goes straight back to the cats, would it not make sense (somewhat) to drill this out and create a straight flow?

I know it will probably be a little quieter than debaffled but without the diversion piece what would the flow be like and how much would get through/baffled by comparison?

I leave this to ponder...

edit: mainly doing this to leave the stock end plates intact and no major cutting/removing of parts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Maybe I don't understand; are you talking about what is referred to as "stage one" debaffled? A lot of us have just taken a rod and punched it out (inward). If I'm on the same page, that disc is simply tacked in there and is easy to punch loose by taking a steel rod, inserting up against it, then hitting the other end with a hammer. May have to hit it a coupe of times, make sure the bike is stable, that you don't slide the whole bike forward and cause the kickstand to fold up.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Okay, here's my thoughts.

I did 'all of them', out of curiosity, when I debaffled mine. I punched out that center disc, then I drilled holes, then I yanked 'em all the way out.

Fact is a full debaffle just isn't that loud. But it is much deeper. As long as the baffle is in there, no matter how it's modified, it's going to have a higher pitched, tinny, "coffee can" sound to it. Once the baffle is out, the tone gets dramatically lower and rumblier without being much louder.

Just my $0.02! YMMV. But what I experienced was it was marginally louder with the diversion plate knocked out, but again, I wasn't a fan of the tinny coffee-can type sound.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
aight, that's what I was looking for Romans.

I was trying to figure out what the hell people were talking about when everyone was saying something different about the stages of their debaffle.

mainly is the full debaffle may be a little too loud for my tastes. I am getting used to it and friends/co-workers seem to say it's not bad which is why I haven't bought a new set to try this.

On highway I use noise-canceling buds anyway so idc but morning commutes with surroundings and tunnel can ratchet up the db level back to my ears (the NC buds were got cause wind buffeting felt like someone was tapping my ear drum)

I had tapped out that center disc on one of the pipes but it was only with a metal jack rod to use for the removal of the baffle, never took a sound sample. I used a larger than needed hole saw so didn't really get the baffle pipe moving until I used a 2" (2 1/2" would have been great).

Lessons learned as always and thanks you two.
Stage 1 - disc
Stage 2 - drilled
Stage 3 - removed

now I got it :D

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
aight, that's what I was looking for Romans.

I was trying to figure out what the hell people were talking about when everyone was saying something different about the stages of their debaffle.

mainly is the full debaffle may be a little too loud for my tastes. I am getting used to it and friends/co-workers seem to say it's not bad which is why I haven't bought a new set to try this.

On highway I use noise-canceling buds anyway so idc but morning commutes with surroundings and tunnel can ratchet up the db level back to my ears (the NC buds were got cause wind buffeting felt like someone was tapping my ear drum)

I had tapped out that center disc on one of the pipes but it was only with a metal jack rod to use for the removal of the baffle, never took a sound sample. I used a larger than needed hole saw so didn't really get the baffle pipe moving until I used a 2" (2 1/2" would have been great).

Lessons learned as always and thanks you two.
Stage 1 - disc
Stage 2 - drilled
Stage 3 - removed

now I got it :D

Or you could just be super pedantic like me, and say that "Stage 3" is the only thing that should be called a "debaffle" because with the other stages the baffle is still present, so it's not "debaffled". So theres "modified baffles" and "debaffling" :D

I could never get that one to catch on though. So everyone still uses the 'stages'. :p

IMHO, and this is just me; every aftermarket exhaust system is going to be louder than the debaffle. So if a debaffle is too loud, then don't even consider aftermarket. Also (and this is me), the modified baffles are tinny and coffee-can sounding. So if I were in your shoes and felt the debaffle was too loud, I'd probably just run stock pipes. Personally, I'd rather have stock pipes than ones with holes drilled or just the diverter punched through. But of course that's me and to each their own!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya apparently that's what people relate to, I agree with you though as "debaffle" means there is no baffle. not drilled, tapped, or w/e the hell other words are used. :)

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
+1 to what Romans said... he is the expert!

Mine is full debaffle and it is not as loud as many think it would be or I've gotten more deaf.
I actually prefer the stock look and feel that the full debaffle gives just enough noise to get attention.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Someone took baffles out of mine before i got it and it is way to loud sure wish i could find the right baffles to go back in it so i can take these darn ear plugs out..

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Someone took baffles out of mine before i got it and it is way to loud sure wish i could find the right baffles to go back in it so i can take these darn ear plugs out..
They are welded in. Some people have had luck bolting or welding in some odd/different things. Hard to believe it's too loud, I'd be wondering if hey modified the exhaust further. At least, on mine, with the baffles removed it's louder but I don't find it too loud. Though to each their own.

You might see if someone will trade you a debaffled set for their stock seat. It happens!

·
Registered
107 Posts
This is my favorite. Tips cut off with 8 half inch holes in each end. If I want it louder I'll spring for some Cobra Dragsters and keep these in case I need them later for state inspection.

·
Registered
88 Posts
When I bought mine, one baffle had been removed and one had holes drilled like the pic above. I was surprised how good it sounded when I went to pick it up, because I thought the pipes were stock. When I started reading the baffling/debaffling threads on here was when I went out and looked at mine. I debafflized the other one and I really like it now. If there were no back-pressure issues, that could be another option. I had varying opinions on the back-pressure thing, but like Romans has been saying, not much louder...just deeper with full debafflization.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It may be in my head, but I'll toss out there when the bike is fully baffled it feels like it needs another gear at 55. Like I have it now I don't shift into 5th until I'm in between 60 and 65. Then it eases right up to 70 and hums along. I think it's awesome.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya I like the 9 cause of how lite it is. I had to pick it up the other day (stupid mistake) from an easy set-down on the peg mount.

I just haven't fully got used to the buzz at highway speeds. my carpel tunnel go crazy after about 20 mins holding the throttle. going to get a throttle assist to help in this area. the ISO grips helped a little but didn't really get rid of it. :(

edit: but back on topic everyone who's heard my pipes likes them. the one co-worker who told me not to do it says it's not bad at all :) and I'm getting used to them more now.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Ya I like the 9 cause of how lite it is. I had to pick it up the other day (stupid mistake) from an easy set-down on the peg mount.

I just haven't fully got used to the buzz at highway speeds. my carpel tunnel go crazy after about 20 mins holding the throttle. going to get a throttle assist to help in this area. the ISO grips helped a little but didn't really get rid of it. :(

edit: but back on topic everyone who's heard my pipes likes them. the one co-worker who told me not to do it says it's not bad at all :) and I'm getting used to them more now.
Have you tried a "Cramp Buster"? I like the wide one;

Works wonders for me. Makes a bigger difference than you'd think, relaxes your wrist and everything.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I initially went with the 8 holes and popped screens. I sprang for the full debaffle today and I'm not disappointed. Don't let anyone fool you - it is a bit louder, but not much. You definitely notice the lower note.

The coolest thing I noticed on the first start up - the fine gravel driveway underneath me was carrying the note and I could feel the vibrations through my feet. Was the coolest feeling.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Frizzman, everyone danced around your question without really answering it. I have only the inner disc or plug as some people call it drilled and I like the sound. It's quiet at idle and provides a great vtwin thump when accelerating hard.
I originally had 4 holes drilled as well but didn't like the sound so I covered them with stainless steel washers, gasket maker and self tapping screws. A huge improvement in the sound and just as loud.
I'll take a picture tomorrow and post.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts