Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to take the leap to the Darkside. Have read General Altimax 195-65R-15 is the best way to go. Is that true? Have any of you tried other brands? What is good starting point for pressure? Any experience based info greatly appreciated.

Currently running second Kenda 170-80-15. Like the tire and wear but for some reason this one has a lot of sing when leaned over at highway speed.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I run the Altimax too, no regrets. 38-40 psi seems to be popular.

Have fun and ride safe!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Have 10k miles on a General, love it. The first 500 miles should be set at 40 to allow wear of release compond, really slick. Regular break in on tire.
After that you will have to find the sweet spot for you, somewhere between 32 and 40.
Should be as low as comfortable to allow for flex in sidewall. Don't go down to where it feels like it wallows down the street, bad.
I use 35 and like it there.

Links to Deliphi forums
http://forums.delphiforums.com/DarkSiding
There is a database of all the tires that have proven to work here.
http://darkside.nwff.info/

Take it slow and get used to the feel, it is different.

Then you can go DOUBLE DARKSIDE with a rear MC tire on the front and get 15 - 20k miles on a front tire.

·
Registered
222 Posts
What tire are you running on the front? Getting ready to go Darkside on the rear.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Does the altimax 195 reduce rpms like the 200 series MC tire?

I wish I could find someone who would mount a CT in my area...

·
Registered
424 Posts
What tire are you running on the front? Getting ready to go Darkside on the rear.
Pirelli MT66 Route rear 130/90-16, run in reverse and tread is correct.

6k miles so far and look to get 18-20. Same grip, handling, and traction as the front, just 2x the rubber.

Most of the brands make the size of our front in a rear, on older bikes that was the rear size.

·
Registered
222 Posts
For the Classic I agree, but not going to find that for my 21" wheel on the Custom. I'm going to order a Metzler Tourance tomorrow for my front tire.

·
Registered
424 Posts

Nope sorry only .2 inches bigger in circ. Can't go bigger than 195 because of swing arm clearance and no tires are made larger than 65. These are sport car tires, small sport cars.

But both overdrive pulleys do a bang up job.

Try a Harley shop for mounting, or a Honda shop Lots of Harley rider's are darkside, and almost every goldwing rider i meet uses one.

·
Registered
424 Posts
For the Classic I agree, but not going to find that for my 21" wheel on the Custom. I'm going to order a Metzler Tourance tomorrow for my front tire.
Sorry did not see you were a custom. DD only works on the classic, don't know of any bike that used skinny back tire like the 90.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Nope sorry only .2 inches bigger in circ. Can't go bigger than 195 because of swing arm clearance and no tires are made larger than 65. These are sport car tires, small sport cars.

But both overdrive pulleys do a bang up job.

Try a Harley shop for mounting, or a Honda shop Lots of Harley rider's are darkside, and almost every goldwing rider i meet uses one.
Thanks for the tip, I would have never thought to check a Harley or Honda dealer.

As far as both pulleys, that will have to wait for the budget to open up.

PS. Double Darkside, lol, really really evil.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Haven't gone to the darkside but our local tire shop(mom and Pap not chain) does moto tires for half of what the dealer cost. Never had an issue with them doing a wheel I just mark the direction it needs to go(if using moto tires) but I would do that for any shop I bring my wheels to. They get $12 to dismount and mount a tire.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts

Did anyone point out that your quote says:
"A man should believe in those things, because worth they believing in."

Maybe it should say:
"A man should believe in those things, because they are worth believing in." ?

Rod

·
Registered
658 Posts
Did anyone point out that your quote says:
"A man should believe in those things, because worth they believing in."

Maybe it should say:
"A man should believe in those things, because they are worth believing in." ?

Rod
Damn... I better fix that. Thanks for catching it. I'd like to think my yoda kicked in LOL.

I'm on five different forums and you are the only one who noticed (or at least said something)

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Damn... I better fix that. Thanks for catching it. I'd like to think my yoda kicked in LOL.
That was my first thought, too. But no matter how I tried to Yoda-speak it, I could not make it work.

Look at it this way; at least someone read your sig.
:)

Rod

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I run a Kenda 130-90 rear tire reversed on the front and have 20+K miles and looks like it could go twice that. Not bad at all. Had the SW front pulley and loved what it did to the bike but it wore out. Sent it back to SW (you all know the nightmare working with them has become) and ended up trading it for the rear pulley plus some cash. I want to do the rear pulley and CT and hopefully go many, many miles. I recommend the rear tire reversed for the front.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Anyone know if a 205/75R15 will fit the 900?

If not thinkin about the 195/70-15....

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Does anyone know what all motorcycle-rears will fit on the front? Thinking about going Metzeler ME880's this summer, is there a compatible front to match an ME880 rear?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Anyone know if a 205/75R15 will fit the 900?

If not thinkin about the 195/70-15....
The Delphi darkside tire database is listed in post 3. These are the tires that have been tried and proven to work. Any thing other than those listed, you are experminting and on your own.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts