Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from a great trip to Sturgis. First time there and couldn't believe the number of bikes crammed into the area. I recommend everyone goes at least once just to experience the event. I was with 5 other riders that took off from Monroe, WA. There was my 900, 2 Harleys, 1 Yamaha, and 2 Hondas in the group. It's funny, we had a pre-ride briefing at a local tavern a week before the ride and one of the Harley guys recommended we take an extra quart of oil. I didn't bother and the KAW didn't use a drop. It ran great and had no problem with the 75+ mph highway speed in Wyoming and Montana. 2 great weeks of riding and camping!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Glad you had a good time and a safe trip. The Black Hills area is indeed a beautiful area to ride. Too crowded for me during the rally though.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Might have seen you. I noticed quite a few 900s up there. It is definitely an experience everyone should do once in their life. Not as many bikes this year as there was in 2010.

If you go again I highly recommend Bear Butte Creek Campgrounds east of Sturgis. Great campground for a great price and not to mention a reasonable cafe and bar in the campgrounds.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Might have seen you. I noticed quite a few 900s up there. It is definitely an experience everyone should do once in their life. Not as many bikes this year as there was in 2010.

If you go again I highly recommend Bear Butte Creek Campgrounds east of Sturgis. Great campground for a great price and not to mention a reasonable cafe and bar in the campgrounds.
Thanks for the tip. If I go again I'll try that campground. We stayed in Custer State Park which is about 40 miles from Sturgis. I can't say enough about the 900, it is now a trusted friend :). The only problem was the Mustang seat. I just couldn't adjust to it and was uncomfortable on it.
Looking at selling it and trying a Russell Daylong.

·
Registered
222 Posts
We thought about staying around Keystone, but I paid $125 for up to 10 days of camping during the rally and you really can't beat that. And if you know the short cut throught Ft. Meade you can avoid the downtown traffic of Sturgis.

I'm getting a seat off a Classic and I'm going to have a local shop work on it vs paying $500 for a seat.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sturgis

there were 10 bikers from my home town in michigan that went. 6 trailered it and 4 rode and they stayed in the same campground. They said it was fairly inexpensive and they had a great time, they enjoyed riding up to Mt. Rushmore they said. I've been there but not on the bike. Hope to go next year with my son to say I've done it. It's on my bucketlist.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Word of Caution.....Sturgis is very addictive. I went last year for the first time with the intent to just check it off the list and I already have leave in for next years rally.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts