Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here it is the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and Rudolf The Red Nose Reindeer is on CBS in prime time.

Call me old fashioned but shouldn't we get past one holiday before we start celebrating the next?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
It is not even thanks giving yet. What's up with that. In our house we get done with the current holiday before we get to the next.

But unfortunately it is more important to stores to promote Christmas earlier and earlier. They got to make that money. Nobody buys thanksgiving presents.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Eh...

You know you don't have to watch it. All I've really gotta say about that!

I'm a big Christmas person. I like the Christmas music early and stuff like that. Stores being open with black Friday sales on Thanksgiving I'm not too thrilled about. And maybe I'm wrong but I figure folks who don't like it could just as easily change the channel. I don't like the annoying pop music played in the stores during the year so I just tune it out. If you don't like the Christmas music... well...

But easy for me to say since I like it!

That's me anyway.

Merry Christmas! hehe.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Stores here where putting out Christmas stuff along with the halloween stuff in early to mid october. the bell ringers have been out here for 2 weks already. I wonder how long it will be before Christmas decor will be competeing for July 4th decor for shelf space. I feel it takes away from the current holliday getting hiped up about the next one.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
The early displays bother me because it isn't about the season, it's about getting our money. They could care less about "good will toward men" or celebrating the birth. But my response is that I don't do any shopping, I change the channel or watch a DVD. Next week will be soon enough!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The early displays bother me because it isn't about the season, it's about getting our money. They could care less about "good will toward men" or celebrating the birth. But my response is that I don't do any shopping, I change the channel or watch a DVD. Next week will be soon enough!
You're not at all wrong there! Christmas is horribly commercialized. But, I don't let it get me down. It's the one time of year I get to see distant family members, I get time off, people are happy, and I do love the music. As I said though; I like to 'people watch' on black friday sometimes, and it's amazing how cruel and awful people can be, the day after thanksgiving, over a $10 savings they could've probably gotten if they just went online (or gotten the next day when it's still on sale and still in stock).

Some churches and organizations are encouraging people to reduce the amount they spend on gifts, and take that money and give it to food pantries (Believe it or not, most food pantries would much rather have money than food- they can buy food incredibly cheap. One near me says they buy food in bulk for 10 cents a pound, it's a tax write off to the suppliers. She buys pallets of food for very little) and other charities. I think it's a great idea. How many iPhones does a 10 year old need anyway?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Eh...

You know you don't have to watch it. All I've really gotta say about that!

I'm a big Christmas person. I like the Christmas music early and stuff like that. Stores being open with black Friday sales on Thanksgiving I'm not too thrilled about. And maybe I'm wrong but I figure folks who don't like it could just as easily change the channel. I don't like the annoying pop music played in the stores during the year so I just tune it out. If you don't like the Christmas music... well...

But easy for me to say since I like it!

That's me anyway.

Merry Christmas! hehe.

That is what I did, changed the channel. I am old enough to remember when CBS originally aired Rudolf, it is one of my favorites.Listing to Burl Ives narrative takes me back to a simpler time, but there is a time and a place. By the way, I like the cartoon. Are you calling me an old Turkey? My kids would probably agree with you.

Stores here where putting out Christmas stuff along with the halloween stuff in early to mid october. the bell ringers have been out here for 2 weks already. I wonder how long it will be before Christmas decor will be competeing for July 4th decor for shelf space. I feel it takes away from the current holliday getting hiped up about the next one.
There is a local radio station that starts playing Christmas music on Halloween. I change the channel and vote with my dollars, none of there sponsors get my business.

I'm with you Bear. I may sound like an old curmudgeon but the seasons should be celebrated in there time not one or two seasons before they even get here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts