Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about 2 weeks ago I got my first bike....a 2009 VN900 custom....and I love love love riding her. However, being a new rider, I was a little taken back by the wind that you experience while driving highway speeds. At the recommendation of a friend, I went ahead and got a shield installed on the bike. Memphis Hellcat. Now with the shield, I can say that the wind has been tamed, however, I feel as though the style of the bike has also been tamed.

So I guess my question is, should I keep her on, or take off the shield and keep it on standby for road trips.

I know it all comes down to what "I" think, but it has been bugging me since I had it installed.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I once said there is now way I will screw up the looks by adding a shield. Then I found a OEM Cafe but shortly realized it took the wind of my chest but placed it right on my face. Then I upgraded to the OEM Short and that took the air of my face but placed it right on my forehaed. Then got a hold of a 21" clear and in my opinion it looks really good on the bike and I can ride very comfortable. No way I will ride without a shield.

·
Registered
55 Posts
So about 2 weeks ago I got my first bike....a 2009 VN900 custom....and I love love love riding her. However, being a new rider, I was a little taken back by the wind that you experience while driving highway speeds. At the recommendation of a friend, I went ahead and got a shield installed on the bike. Memphis Hellcat. Now with the shield, I can say that the wind has been tamed, however, I feel as though the style of the bike has also been tamed.

So I guess my question is, should I keep her on, or take off the shield and keep it on standby for road trips.

I know it all comes down to what "I" think, but it has been bugging me since I had it installed.
I struggle with the same problem. I absolutely hate having the windshield on. I think it looks ridiculous (especially with apes), and at certain times it feels like a wind-sail on the front of my bike. I generally only have mine on at 2 times of riding: when it's cold (under 60 for me) and when I take it for extended highway runs. The prefect example for me is a couple of weeks ago. We went on a 400 mile trip to TN. I stripped the shield when we got there, and rode without it until we made the 400 mile highway run back home.

I can say, as a 3rd year rider, that you get more used to the wind. However, the highway air never changes...

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you ride without a shield, your body will condition itself and toughen up against the wind pressure over time. I've found that a small windshield does remove a lot of pressure, but also buffets my helmets pretty bad, so I can either have smooth pressure or a vibrating head/vision. I refuse to put a huge shield on my bike, as I think they kill the looks. Maybe a good compromise for you the national cycles flyscreen. Ive used it and it does remove some wind pressure without taking away from the bike looks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
on a 900 custom a wind shield does not appear as good as on a 900 classic/LT - 'cause of the style of the bike. the custom looks classy without and the classic/LT looks better with a wind shield - but that's just me ....

Cheers

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I got a Memphis Shades batwing fairing. It looks OK, but I, like you, MUCH prefer riding without a shield. The fairing goes on for long trips and cold days, but other than that I ride without it.

With:

Without:

And in the end, it's what the fighting's all about.

It takes about 30 seconds to put it on, and 10 seconds to take it off. I can ride down to the Ozarks on a bagger, stash the fairing in my hotel room and blast around the hills on a cruiser.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I do not like the look of a large shield on the custom either. I have put a flyscreen on my 900 and it seems to help a little.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey guys! first time poster here, just got my 900 custom about 3 weeks ago.

I'm with you in that I like the look of my custom without the windshield, but I can notice a difference with the amount of wind on my chest with I run shield-less. I have the quick detachable Memphis shade, so I can remove / install it in a matter of seconds. Here is a pic of mine (hopefully it worked), but I do have to apologize because apparently the windshield was very dirty at the time.

In case the image didn't work. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/837/mybikesmall.jpg

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I solved my problem with a quick detach. :D (although I rarely take it off these days)

15 seconds, and it's on for those long highway jaunts or colder days. 15 seconds, and it's off for quick jaunts and the "face in the wind" freedom. I went with the LARGE 2-up shield from National Cycle, as it helps to deflect wind around my wife when she rides with me too, but there are smaller shields out there...

Truthfully, I've gotten used to the look now, and my Redemption, she's still beautiful.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts

I was bothered by the wind on my Classic...but had never ridden a bike with a windshield so I was unsure about using one. But I got a used one off a LT from this groups classified section...

The difference is huge, riding with the shield is so much more comfortable that I cannot imagine taking it off now.

I think my bike looks great with the shield...but I spend a lot more time riding it than looking at it. If you are comfortable riding with the shield you will get used to the look. Comfort while riding beats looks every time.

Rod

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think everyone hates having the windshield but if you are going to ride any kind of distance, especially on the highway, it just helps unless of course you are vertically challenged like some of my friends and can hide behind the handlebars.

I love riding more than I hate looking like a dork!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I do most of my riding in rural areas...I ain't riding without a windshield! Not just because of the wind, but the bug splatter. Only takes a few miles to coat the screen in schmutz. Especially after dark. I couldn't imagine having to scrape it off of me!

(although I do have to admit, the custom looks better without.)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I do most of my riding in rural areas...I ain't riding without a windshield! Not just because of the wind, but the bug splatter. Only takes a few miles to coat the screen in schmutz. Especially after dark. I couldn't imagine having to scrape it off of me!

(although I do have to admit, the custom looks better without.)
I agree. The windshield is worth it just to keep the bugs off. I also got the tall quick release (Memphis Shades) and have only taken it off once. Once I got used to the look, I like it. Ride safe all.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Like most (all?) here, I'd prefer having my Custom without a windsheild than with, but dampening the pressure from the high speeds and the protection from kamikaze bugs makes it worth sacrificing the looks a bit. My shield's pretty narrow and short, so it doesn't tend to overwhelm the styling...much.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I have a custom and I definitely prefer the look with the windshield. I've never owned a bike for more than a week without one. I went for the Memphis Big Shot because I think the style fits the bike better than a standard cruiser shield. I did NOT get the quick release and it's about 30 seconds off and on. Not that I ever remove it to ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
I solved my problem with a quick detach. :D (although I rarely take it off these days)

15 seconds, and it's on for those long highway jaunts or colder days. 15 seconds, and it's off for quick jaunts and the "face in the wind" freedom. I went with the LARGE 2-up shield from National Cycle, as it helps to deflect wind around my wife when she rides with me too, but there are smaller shields out there...

Truthfully, I've gotten used to the look now, and my Redemption, she's still beautiful.
What quick release kit did you use? I'm new to motorcycles, and when I went to the site and put in the 2009 Vulcan 900 it didn't have any info about the Large 2 up shield for it.

I'm going to be looking for a quick release windshield. I'm 6'5", a lot of torso. Any suggestions for a quick release windscreen I can see over the top?

·
Registered
228 Posts
i purchased the small windshield from kawasaki. It keeps the look of my 900 custom sharp but does the job of keeping bugs and wind off me.

good luck with yours!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I like to ride the back roads but don't like being hit with bugs and like to keep the wind off of the chest area. I installed the Hell Cat windshield and think it is big enough to do the job i wanted and not to big.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
What quick release kit did you use? I'm new to motorcycles, and when I went to the site and put in the 2009 Vulcan 900 it didn't have any info about the Large 2 up shield for it.

I'm going to be looking for a quick release windshield. I'm 6'5", a lot of torso. Any suggestions for a quick release windscreen I can see over the top?
I'm on an '08 900 Custom, which is the quick detach mount kit-Q102 if I remember right. N21135 is the part number for the switchblade 2-up windshield. Both good, according to National Cycle's website, for 2007-2011 Customs. If you're on a Classic/LT, there may not be a switchblade setup for ya, as I think (off the top of my head, not confirmed) that there's a taper involved at the top of the forks, whereas the custom's are straight.

I can see over the top of the 2-up, being 6'3" with "a lot of torso" (only a 32" inseam), so you should be able to as well. Plus, it's easy to drop back/down a bit, and look through it when needed.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm not real fond of the Custom style, but I like SteveJB's bike with the shield. I will echo those who prefer the shield on the road; I've ridden both ways and will only ride with a shield from now on. Wait, that sounds wrong...........:handcuffs:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts