Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what other people out there are doing.

Should i roll my bag, mattress, tarp all together? Or should i have my bag stuffed, mattress rolled, tarp folded all stored apart?

Just wondering what people find easier for travel and speed and ease of setup ?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I like doing them separately. Below you see my tent is bungee-corded to the windshield, the sleeping bag is the big roll on the rear with my camp chair on top of it. My cot that I use to put the sleeping bag on is loaded in my right saddlebag. Disregard the two red bungee cords you see hanging over the sissybar bag. They're just lying there.

This load-out rides well on my 750.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
To further explain why I choose to do them separately: This way each item with its' assorted group of pegs/sticks/whatever are properly separated and don't get mixed together.

Also, this way, if the load should come loose for whatever reason you'll only drop whatever portion it was holding rather than the entire thing. (Old bungee cords can decide to simply snap without warning. I had one do that right in front of me while I was standing there in my garage looking at the load. POP and down went that portion of the load. Lesson: Use new or fresh bungee cord for trips.)

The ride will be longer than set-up/tear-down time and I want the load spread out on the bike so the bike will ride better. This is probably more critical on smaller bikes than larger, heavier ones. So a secure, safe ride is more important than speed of putting up/breaking down camp.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To further explain why I choose to do them separately: This way each item with its' assorted group of pegs/sticks/whatever are properly separated and don't get mixed together.

Also, this way, if the load should come loose for whatever reason you'll only drop whatever portion it was holding rather than the entire thing. (Old bungee cords can decide to simply snap without warning. I had one do that right in front of me while I was standing there in my garage looking at the load. POP and down went that portion of the load. Lesson: Use new or fresh bungee cord for trips.)

The ride will be longer than set-up/tear-down time and I want the load spread out on the bike so the bike will ride better. This is probably more critical on smaller bikes than larger, heavier ones. So a secure, safe ride is more important than speed of putting up/breaking down camp.
WOW, that bike is loaded !!!!!

I have a voyager, so cannot really tie anything to front fairing. I also use rok straps, so hopefully less likely to fail?

If i lose the whole thing, i guess I'll stay in a motel :) I'm still not sure if i want the roll or stuff.

I tried rolling my thermarest mattress, a polar fleece liner for really cold weather (i'm a bit of a pussy, get cold easy) my down sleeping bag rated to -7 Celcius, a bivy sac (to go over if rainy wet) my window sealing sheet for ground, a bug net all wrapped in my 10x10 tarp.

It is probably 27" wide and 10-12" in diameter. Not sure if i could get it a bit smaller if i first rolled the thermarest air out, closed and then opened it up and placed in roll?

This combo should be good for temperatures down to well below zero,not that i would likely be motorcycle camping in that. But like i said i get cold easy. I could use the bivy and just the polar. or the bag and the bivy. or bag alone, or on a really warm night, just the polar.......

I figure if i have it all strapped on luggage rack it is not taking up much more space than a tent alone???

I'll see how it works.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This is my set-up on my EN500. Having the right gear is key, in my opinion, esp for long trips.

It's hard to see, but the blue thing on top of the left saddlebag is my tent. The black stuff sack on the right saddlebag is my sleeping bag. These two made a level surface with my passenger seat, so I ratcheted my giant hiking backpack horizontally down over top, with one end of the straps connecting to the saddlebag mounts and the other ends to the frame beneath the seat. It was super sturdy. This made everything inside the bag accessible without undoing everything, just open up the side or unzip the front pocket. In there I kept clothes, food, thermarest, etc. Also made a great backrest!

I additionally used a "fanny pack" type pack that was attached to the sissy bar, and sat on top of the luggage rack. This is where I kept my rain gear, fuel and water bottles, tools, etc. If needed I could "wear" this thing and use the luggage rack with bungees for other stuff.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts