Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did half of my top end last winter, and I'm thinking of doing the other half this winter.
Here's why...
For some crazy reason, 1/3 of an exhaust valve had broken off! Thankfully, it went out the exhaust and didn't do a thing to the cylinder. I didn't know about this til I got the head off. Since the cylinder walls were without scratch or score (no, I didn't mic them) I replaced that valve, inspected and lapped in all the others, went through the injectors with new seals and all, put new springs on the KACRs, replaced the valve seals and reassembled.
That booger fired off without turning over three times! YAY! BUT...
After the first 300 miles, I was low on oil; a pint. Well, it's breaking in, the seals are seating... no leaks.
After the next 300 miles, I was low on oil; a pint. Hmm... longer breakin than I'd expected.
After the next 300 miles, I was low on oil; a pint. I put in a pint of Lucas. You know, that stuff's thick.
After the next 300 miles, I was low on oil; a pint. I put in the rest of the Lucas quart.
After the next 300 miles, I was low on oil; a pint. I put in some Harley straight 70.
After the next 300 miles, I was low on oil; a pint. I put in the rest of the Harley quart. Still no leaks.
Ok, Ok... I'm thinking about the cylinder walls and a set of rings... ya happy now?!?!
Any experience with '01 1500s and oil consumption?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
If the rocker case cover gasket is torn or not installed correctly, it can cause high oil consumption.
Do not use heavier than recommended oil as it may cause HLA issues.
I hope you replaced the HLA filters when you did this work.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HLA??
Not sure what that means... I did replace the sintered filters in the rocker box, if those are the filters you're referring to.
That rocker gasket is complex, so I took very special care with it, making certain to clean both mating surfaces, meticulously.
Tell me, if that gasket is torn (it's not, it's new) or not installed correctly (if you follow the rocker box contour and hole patterns, it only goes on one way... I'm pretty sure I did it right, with a light coat of Yamabond) where is the oil consumed? Does it stay in the top too long and get through the seals? Hmm...
My friend following me says that when I get on it, he can smell the oil burning.
You don't think it's a cylinder and ring issue, eh? The walls were flawless, without any ridge at all... not even a thousandth. That's why I didn't ring it.
Tell me more about HLA, if you have a minute, will ya?

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
Since you had the gasket off, it was my first guess.
If you look at the gasket, there is a "D" shaped area. High pressure oil is present there and if it seeps, the oil runs down (pools) into the valve guide area and is sucked into the engine and burned.
You might notice smoke if you coast down a hill, throttle closed and then suddenly open the throttle and "get on it".

HLA's are tiny, finely machined oil filled gizmos that take up the valve clearance to ensure a quiet valve train.

Just as an add, judging the condition of cylinder walls and pistons by the eyeball method is not good practice. They must be measured and compared to Kawasaki specifications.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That "HLA"... is that what Kawasaki calls the "reed valve"?
I can't find it anywhere on the the Kawasaki head or head cover exploded views. Frankly, I've never heard of it. The only thing in the head that I didn't touch, is the reed valve!

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
That "HLA"... is that what Kawasaki calls the "reed valve"?
I can't find it anywhere on the the Kawasaki head or head cover exploded views. Frankly, I've never heard of it. The only thing in the head that I didn't touch, is the reed valve!
HLA= Hydraulic Lash Adjuster.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yikes... I had those valves in and out, lashing them, new seals, etc... I never even knew those little boogers were in there! I'm trying to wrap my head around now they'll make me use oil... nevertheless, if I tear it down again for those things, I'll ring it at the same time.
Other than a bit of oil consumption, any deleterious effects from them that you know of?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts