Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently performed the partial debaffle on my bike a few weeks ago, and like it much better. I have only drilled 4 holes in each pipe, and am still trying to decide if I want to go to 8 or not. I've read hundreds of posts on this topic, and haven't found the answer I'm looking for, but does drilling more holes make the tone deeper, or just louder? I know removing the baffle makes it a lot deeper, but it seems to be a 50/50 split with some people saying the full debaffle is not too loud, while others say it is really loud, so I'm on the fence about doing it, hence the question about 4 vs 8 holes.

Also, I am debating on whether to paint the inside of the pipes black or not. I see a lot of posts that indicated people have, but with no pics provided. I definitely want to paint the area where the baffle and holes are, but cannot decide if I should paint the remainder of the inside of the pipe or not. I went to Lowes yesterday and saw that there were three options, all made by Rust Oleum...1) a high temp paint rated at 500 degrees designed for grills (although it also mentioned automotive parts)...2) a high temp engine paint rated for 1200 degrees...3) a high temp engine / exhaust paint rated at 2000 degrees, whose instructions specifically recommended the use of the 2000 degree-rated primer, if being used on metal surfaces (the other two did not mention using a primer). What do most people use, and are there any pics out there that I have not been able to find?

Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had 4 holes drilled plus the center plug/screen punched out. Didn't like the sound so I had 2 large washers made and screwed them on (used gasket maker) to cover the 4 holes. Now I have only the center plug/screen punched out. It idles quiet but rumbles when on the gas, a definite thump. Its a much deeper sound. I get comments from other riders that it sounds good.
I didn't paint the inside of the pipes only the washers. Picture was taken before I painted.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been continuing to read even more posts on debaffling (I think I've easily read at least 1000 by now!). I realize everyone's perception of what constitutes "loud" is going to be slightly different, but in the case of performing a full debaffle, it seems to be all over the map. I've read plenty of posts claiming that a full debaffle isn't that much louder than drilling the holes, and is significantly quieter than a set of aftermarket pipes...and I've read posts saying that it is "incredibly loud" while riding above 50 mph. I want the deeper tone that a full debaffle provides (all the audio clips I've listened to at idle sound great), but I want to make sure that it doesn't resonate while riding, which can become extremely annoying. Anyone care to chime in on what it sounds like while riding?

·
Registered
492 Posts
I did 8 holes on mine. Each was as large as I could make them. I think they were about 1/2 inch. I loved the sound. So did the guts at the bike shop!

I painted the inside black. I used a high temp rustoleum paint. Nothing fancy. I used to touch up the paint when I did my oil changes. It didn't really need it. I just made it part of my normal maintenance schedule.

Sorry no pics! I traded it in towards a nomad in 2013.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I painted the inside black. I used a high temp rustoleum paint. Nothing fancy. I used to touch up the paint when I did my oil changes. It didn't really need it. I just made it part of my normal maintenance schedule.

Sorry no pics! I traded it in towards a nomad in 2013.

Did you use a primer? The 2000 degree Rust Oleum stuff recommends a primer, but the 1200 degree can says nothing about it. Did you rough up the inside of the pipe with sandpaper or anything before painting?

·
Registered
492 Posts
No need to prime, sand our anything. I don't remember which paint i used. But the one for bbq grills will work great. Your exhaust ends will never hit 2000 degrees!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts