Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to make this as brief as I can, but it's complicated and I'd like some input.

I have an '04 1600 Classic I bought last year for $2900 including the Mustang solo. It had 42k miles on it.

This is my FIRST EVER bike, but I love it. It's smooth, comfortable, big enough to do long cruises and without the windshield, small and sporty for just running around having FUN!!!!

My issue is this.... Do I put a ton of money into exhaust, intake, fuel controller, custom paint, new bags... and make this my forever bike? Or just leave it as is and build a dream bike from something newer later?

I know it's really personal preference and such, but am I unrealistic thinking this bike, with proper care, will last another 15 years/100k miles?

How much of the money you put into paint, exhaust, bags, etc... can you expect back at sale? If any since it's all preference and what I like might turn off half of the potential buyers.

Sorry, this is really long, and I know no one can really give me the right answer for me, but I'd love to just see the discussion and other people's thoughts on this subject.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you can spend the money on your bike and enjoy it, without feeling you have to recoup your investment - do it and enjoy. If you think you may upgrade, I would say, "Don't". I'm the guy who paid $5200. For new Sportster in 1998, and put another $4000. Into it on customizing it (I know - crazy). I got $7500 trade in on a 2000 Vulcan 1500 Nomad, 2 years later. I had a Gold Wing at the time, so this was just a fun bike, when I wasn't " Wingin' it".
So you could say I was a fool to pay all of that money on customizing a Sportster. I had $9200 invested, and only recovered $7500, in only 2 years. Or you could say I had my fun, and got at least $3000 more than the bike was worth, 2 years later (although, in those days any Harley wasn't easy to find for under $5k). It really is a personal preference. I've had too many bikes, and lost too much in depreciation to worry now! We had fun, though!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WELL I pulled the first trigger. Just set the bike up to get Vance & Hines Big Shots, a Cobra FI2000R controller, and a Baron Big Air intake. I'll send pics once I SEE my baby again when it gets to Washington.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts