Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from the Netherlands!

English is my first language and having to ask what I need to ask in Dutch is going to be quite a feat, hence my entrance on this forum.

I am looking into buying a Vulcan S as my first bike after getting my motorcycle license.

The bike will be new, as things here are expensive as it is, and second-hand bike prices aren’t too far from new ones. Moreover, a 2-year warranty for a new bike, compared to a 6-month warranty for a used one, is quite appealing.

I’m almost 40 years old, 5 foot 11, and weigh 194 pounds.

Have a few questions for existing riders, I hope you guys / gals can help me out.

1. 12-volt switch. Charging is a must, for a sat-nav or a phone.
a. Will it work if I plug in a unit for USB-3 output?

2. Exhaust. I will be opting for the Arrow exhaust directly from Kawasaki. I just can’t do with the stock sound and I’d rather be heard by inattentive cyclists and pedestrians, most of whom have their heads buried in their phones (yes, cyclists too). The exhaust is Euro4 certified, and I’m not sure what else I can use in its place, but I’m open to suggestions. I’ve seen a lot of videos about the Arrow Rebel, and just a handful from the Kawasaki Arrow version, which has the text “Vulcan S” below the “Arrow” plate.
a. Does anyone know the difference between the two?
b. Is it possible to remove the DB Killer on the one from Kawasaki?
c. Kawasaki itself doesn’t mention a power commander or a booster plug with the exhaust. Is it okay for either to be installed at a later time, if at all needed?

3. Horn. The stock horn will just have to go. From what I’ve seen and heard so far, the Denali Soundbomb fits the bill… no mini or compact. I will definitely be leaning on the horn for a good 4-7 seconds, because… arseholes.
a. Can the battery, with the Kawasaki relay, handle the demands of this horn?
b. Is one relay paired with one accessory only, or can it be used with multiple accessories?

4. Crash bars.
a. R&B okay?

5. Additional front lights.
a. Is it worth spending money on the light bar, or shall I opt for auxiliary LED lamps and place them on the crash bars (hanging upside down from the top bar)?
b. What’s the max light output that can be used with the battery? I don’t see myself doing any night riding, but it can happen that I’m stuck somewhere and have to ride home when it’s dark / getting dark.

6. Rear lights. Though also necessary, I haven’t decided on anything yet; it will be something for the future. I'd need something strong here, as most drivers here are not really tailgaters, but rectum explorers. I'd need some flashing lights that we see on the wings of airplanes.

7. Break-in.
a. If the dealership is quite a distance away and I need to take the bike on the motorway / highway to bring it home, is it okay if I cross the rev-limit for certain periods, or is it best to just take the in-roads?

8. Rear shock pre-load. The roads here are quite good, although some residential areas have bricks, instead of asphalt.
a. What setting should be ideal for someone of my build?

9. Indicator light bleepers. Has anyone any experience with these? I was on holiday in India and there I saw / heard many 2-wheelers had a small speaker somewhere that would bleep when the turn signals were activated. Don't know if we can get them here... They seem to be a good reminder to turn the indicators off.

In addition, I’m looking at a Shoei Neotec 2 modular helmet. The only communication device that goes with it (seamlessly) is the Sena SRL. Is this kit okay for just the sat-nav instructions and occasional phone calls?

Would appreciate your input.

Cheers!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Welcome! For reference, please also take a look at this recent thread that covers similar questions: https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/130-vulcan-650-s/300222-looking-vulcan-650-s-new-rider-help.html#post3022252

1. Yes, the Vulcan's electrical system can power USB devices adequately - just get the power outlet accessory + relay and a USB charger of your choice.

2. I don't actually think there's a difference - it's just branding. Someone from EU will have to correct me if I'm wrong as we don't get that option here in the US. Yes it's fine to add air/fuel mapping after the fact.

3. The battery will power the Denali air horn, but you'll need to use a relay as the horn needs to be powered by the battery directly, with the existing horn wiring just triggering the relay. In that regard, that one relay is ONLY for the horn. You still need the accessory relay if you want to power the accessory outlet or the aux lights. Get the Denali plug n play kit and you'll have all the wiring/relay that you need.

4. R&B Crash bars are more than OK. I myself have the Puig ones.

5. The OEM lights are nice, very bright, but they don't match the main headlamp warmth. Replace the main with an LED if you go this route. That said, it is expensive for what it is, and it doesn't really match the bike that well in my humble opinion. It's a bit flashy with its chrome lamp housing - I feel it should be black like most of the bike, or that matte silver used elsewhere on the head light. It's bright though, and very effective - so if safety is what you're after, this is a win. Not sure what the maximum output capacity is.

6. Most aftermarket rear lights are actually weaker than the OEM stock ones. There are some exceptions that apparently can be seen from the International Space Station but someone else will have to weigh in on that as I still have the stocks.

7. You can go over the rev limit during break-in. Some folks will tell you that you can ignore the break-in recommendations all together. I won't tell you what to do, but if you're trying to follow the manufacturer recommendations, know that it's more than OK to occasionally go over. You will not break your bike or void your warranty.

8. Someone else will have to weigh in on the pre-load adjustment, I've kept mine where it is, but I'm a smaller guy at 160 lbs.

9. You just need to replace your turn indicator relay with one that has the speaker. Probably less than $20 USD on Amazon.

10. Sena SRL is fine for phone bluetooth connectivity. Know that modular helmets tend to be heavier and have more wind noise - just something to keep in mind if this is your first modular.

Good luck, be safe, and enjoy the ride!

Hello from the Netherlands!

English is my first language and having to ask what I need to ask in Dutch is going to be quite a feat, hence my entrance on this forum.

I am looking into buying a Vulcan S as my first bike after getting my motorcycle license.

The bike will be new, as things here are expensive as it is, and second-hand bike prices aren’t too far from new ones. Moreover, a 2-year warranty for a new bike, compared to a 6-month warranty for a used one, is quite appealing.

I’m almost 40 years old, 5 foot 11, and weigh 194 pounds.

Have a few questions for existing riders, I hope you guys / gals can help me out.

1. 12-volt switch. Charging is a must, for a sat-nav or a phone.
a. Will it work if I plug in a unit for USB-3 output?

2. Exhaust. I will be opting for the Arrow exhaust directly from Kawasaki. I just can’t do with the stock sound and I’d rather be heard by inattentive cyclists and pedestrians, most of whom have their heads buried in their phones (yes, cyclists too). The exhaust is Euro4 certified, and I’m not sure what else I can use in its place, but I’m open to suggestions. I’ve seen a lot of videos about the Arrow Rebel, and just a handful from the Kawasaki Arrow version, which has the text “Vulcan S” below the “Arrow” plate.
a. Does anyone know the difference between the two?
b. Is it possible to remove the DB Killer on the one from Kawasaki?
c. Kawasaki itself doesn’t mention a power commander or a booster plug with the exhaust. Is it okay for either to be installed at a later time, if at all needed?

3. Horn. The stock horn will just have to go. From what I’ve seen and heard so far, the Denali Soundbomb fits the bill… no mini or compact. I will definitely be leaning on the horn for a good 4-7 seconds, because… arseholes.
a. Can the battery, with the Kawasaki relay, handle the demands of this horn?
b. Is one relay paired with one accessory only, or can it be used with multiple accessories?

4. Crash bars.
a. R&B okay?

5. Additional front lights.
a. Is it worth spending money on the light bar, or shall I opt for auxiliary LED lamps and place them on the crash bars (hanging upside down from the top bar)?
b. What’s the max light output that can be used with the battery? I don’t see myself doing any night riding, but it can happen that I’m stuck somewhere and have to ride home when it’s dark / getting dark.

6. Rear lights. Though also necessary, I haven’t decided on anything yet; it will be something for the future. I'd need something strong here, as most drivers here are not really tailgaters, but rectum explorers. I'd need some flashing lights that we see on the wings of airplanes.

7. Break-in.
a. If the dealership is quite a distance away and I need to take the bike on the motorway / highway to bring it home, is it okay if I cross the rev-limit for certain periods, or is it best to just take the in-roads?

8. Rear shock pre-load. The roads here are quite good, although some residential areas have bricks, instead of asphalt.
a. What setting should be ideal for someone of my build?

9. Indicator light bleepers. Has anyone any experience with these? I was on holiday in India and there I saw / heard many 2-wheelers had a small speaker somewhere that would bleep when the turn signals were activated. Don't know if we can get them here... They seem to be a good reminder to turn the indicators off.

In addition, I’m looking at a Shoei Neotec 2 modular helmet. The only communication device that goes with it (seamlessly) is the Sena SRL. Is this kit okay for just the sat-nav instructions and occasional phone calls?

Would appreciate your input.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
2 a.) About the Arrow Rebel Exhaust. There are different models depending on which Year Vulcan S you are buying. If you are buying a Vulcan S 2016 and Newer including 2019 you will need the more expensive Arrow Rebel exhaust with the Built in Catalytic converter. The cheaper Arrow Rebel exhaust is only allowed for the 2015 model year since it doesn't have a catalytic converter and is not Euro 4 compliant. Since we here in the US don't have to comply with the Euro 4 nonsense we can order the cheaper exhaust and it will fit on any Vulcan S model year.

b.) you really don't want to do that. Sure it will make it louder and also illegal in your country but it also will change the exhaust note to a higher pitch and make it sound thin and less deep. Trust me if you have
never ridden a Vulcan S with an Aftermarket exhaust you will be thankful for any baffle that is in there.

c.) To be honest with the Arrow Rebel Euro 4 compliant version that incorporates a catalytic converter you more than likely won't need a Power Commander or a Booster Plug. While it isn't needed I would still
recommend a Booster Plug because it will make the bike run a lot smoother especially in the lower gears and there will less engine braking and fewer pops of the exhaust. So if you have some extra cash
get the Booster Plug. It's plug and Play and everyone will agree it did wonders for their bikes. No need for an Expensive Power Commander and a Custom Tune or an Autotuner. The Booster Plug does what
you need for a lot less money and hassle.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Definitely check noise laws in your area before putting down $$$ cash for an aftermarket exhaust. There was a big public outcry in my area last summer about motorcycle noise (loud pipes) and the writing is already on the wall, "Loud pipes annoy people and can make them act more aggressive towards motorcyclists." In other places, they have dB limits and will pull people over if they think they are in violation.
The only thing I'd spend my money on is Boosterplug, I wouldn't bother with power commander.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, @IndyTom.

- Yeah, it will be a new model, most probably 2019.
- I can live with that... was just wondering if it was at all possible.
- I'll keep the Booster Plug on the wishlist for the near future. Though I wouldn't mind the popping sounds, I'd rather have a smoother drive.

Much appreciated!

2 a.) About the Arrow Rebel Exhaust. There are different models depending on which Year Vulcan S you are buying. If you are buying a Vulcan S 2016 and Newer including 2019 you will need the more expensive Arrow Rebel exhaust with the Built in Catalytic converter. The cheaper Arrow Rebel exhaust is only allowed for the 2015 model year since it doesn't have a catalytic converter and is not Euro 4 compliant. Since we here in the US don't have to comply with the Euro 4 nonsense we can order the cheaper exhaust and it will fit on any Vulcan S model year.

b.) you really don't want to do that. Sure it will make it louder and also illegal in your country but it also will change the exhaust note to a higher pitch and make it sound thin and less deep. Trust me if you have
never ridden a Vulcan S with an Aftermarket exhaust you will be thankful for any baffle that is in there.

c.) To be honest with the Arrow Rebel Euro 4 compliant version that incorporates a catalytic converter you more than likely won't need a Power Commander or a Booster Plug. While it isn't needed I would still
recommend a Booster Plug because it will make the bike run a lot smoother especially in the lower gears and there will less engine braking and fewer pops of the exhaust. So if you have some extra cash
get the Booster Plug. It's plug and Play and everyone will agree it did wonders for their bikes. No need for an Expensive Power Commander and a Custom Tune or an Autotuner. The Booster Plug does what
you need for a lot less money and hassle.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, @VulcanHead.

I'd imagine that if the dealer is selling it, it should be within the limits, though it's best to check, nonetheless.

I can't say whether or not loud pipes save lives, but for the reason I need them for (well, apart from the nice sound), i.e. to alert inattentive pedestrians and cyclists, they'll be the ticket.

Car drivers couldn't care less, and moreover, with new cars having higher sound-proofing, in addition to loud music, I doubt if I'll be heard. As a cyclist myself, the sound / rumble of a motorbike does get my attention, even though we're usually on bicycle paths here. Comes in handy when I have to cross the road and really make an effort to find the motorcyclist.

The Booster Plug will definitely be installed... some time in the future.

Cheers!

Definitely check noise laws in your area before putting down $$$ cash for an aftermarket exhaust. There was a big public outcry in my area last summer about motorcycle noise (loud pipes) and the writing is already on the wall, "Loud pipes annoy people and can make them act more aggressive towards motorcyclists." In other places, they have dB limits and will pull people over if they think they are in violation.
The only thing I'd spend my money on is Boosterplug, I wouldn't bother with power commander.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Ah, @bearslayer... nah, it has to be the bigger version :). 9 times out of 10, by the time I blast the horn, the offense has already been conducted, and I've already been pissed off. I just want to pay it back, in kind... and in abundance.

This particularly happens when we have Belgian drivers on our road. They never bother to indicate and they drive one off one's lane.

As a side story, one of these drivers crashed her car into mine a few years ago, just because it was my right of way and I had to speed up and get in front, otherwise she would've crashed into me. She got on the bus lane and rammed the front of her car right into my (driver's side) door. She tried to run away and I caught up with her (by getting my car on the pavement and speeding on the bicycle lane). I got out of the car and stood in front of hers at the traffic light... and I saw she was with 2 guys and a child in the child seat at the back. She rammed her car on my legs twice, and only stopped because I was going to pull out her stupid Mercedes hood badge.

The police said it was a matter for the insurance. She said that I was the one who crashed into her. I told the officers that a blind person could see who crashed into whom. It was rush-hour traffic, 200 meters from the police station, and not a single driver bothered to assist.

I lodged a case and it was closed, 'cos it was their word against mine... and I only found out when I didn't get a call from them for weeks and had to request an update. That's our 52% tax money at work.

SO, for such things, I'll definitely lean on the horn... and have it on camera. Am I inviting trouble? Sure. But it's all I got than relying on Amsterdam's finest :)

Sorry, went off on a tangent there... have finally had some free time to read these responses...

Cheers!

The Compact Dual Tone Sound Bomb works great and staying on it for 10 seconds doesn't hurt anything but that will piss off your neighbor.😂

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, @H_A_N_S. It does sound delish, but I can't find that over here. And if it's going to be just slightly cheaper than the Arrow (900 Euros here!) but going to make me jumps through hoops to get one, I'd have to skip it.

Alternatively, if I can find it easily and it isn't a chore to set it up (in addition to it being legal), then why not :)

Take a look at Falcon exhaust, EU homologated. Db killer can be removed (on this video is removed).

https://youtu.be/MnzpRdlGW6g

1 - 11 of 11 Posts