Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The family is taking a trip down to the Dallas/FW area in mid to late July. How do you guys and girls stay cool when riding in the summers down there. Here in VA a wet t-shirt under a leather jacket goes a long way. but we do not see the temperatures that you all do, or is it too dangerous to be out on a bike due to the heat?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Speaking as a Texan who at one point only had a motorcycle as transportation and now as someone who has a motorcycle more for pleasure, I can give you two answers.

When it was all I had, I didn't have a choice. I would be hot and sweaty and I would deal with it. I didnt ride for longer than an hour.

Now, if I'm riding in the middle of summer around town, same as the above. But if I'm wanting to put some miles on the bike and do a small trip, I get up at dawn and get off the road by early afternoon at the latest. Take a bath in sunblock if I'm not covering my face or arms, or wear full face helmet, a light long sleeved shirt (it really does feel better than short sleeves or sleeveless). I even bought a "cool vest" that has the chemical inserts that are supposed to keep your core temperature down, but I've actually never ridden with it. A guy at my work wears one with a full riding suit and he said he feels great in the extreme heat unless he's sitting at a stop light or stop and go traffic. And he is an everyday rider.

Bottom line though, it depends on how badly you want/love to ride!

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
Evaporative chill vest. Soak in water, wear. Plastic lined so you don't get soaked. Keeps torso cool in hottest Texas heat. Doesn't cool your head. Google it. About $40 at Honda dealer, other dealers sell them too, prices and models vary. I don't go on summer trips without it. Around town I just sweat.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Plenty of advice given on how to stay cool already so I'm just makin' noise here. I dig the heat, hate the cold! And by cold I mean anything below 50.

A mesh jacket over a t shirt is what I usually wear. You sweat when you're stopped and when you start moving again the mesh provides a "swamp cooler" type cooling system!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the advice. I saw one of those vests on different web site but did not know if it was any good or not. But hearing actual people say something about it is different then "My Product is Better Than Your Product" advertisement. I am also deciding on taking my V2k or maybe renting a bike for a day or two when we are there since we have the option to fly cheap since Uncle-in-Law is AA employee.

JtC, I am the the flip side. I can take the cold, my cut off point is low 30's but once it get that cold it is time for the snow and the salt/gravel to cover the roads. The heat here is so humid here. I have never really left this mountain climate here in the Appalachian Mountains except to the north.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Rode last year all the time for multiple hours in the hot 110 degree Texas heat, stopped about every 1 hour to drink a cold bottle of water and pour some over my head and got on the bike and keep riding. It is something you just come to live with if you love riding.

·
Registered
643 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have ridden in temps over 105 for hours (last summer was a scorcher).
Before the ride begins, drink lots of water, then drink more, then some more.
During the ride, keep the bike moving. Keep an eye on your buddies for signs of heat exhaustion, have them do the same for you.
As previously stated, use long sleeves, sun-block, mesh, and more water. I have not tried a cooling vest, but it sounds like a good idea. Have fun!

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
It was 95. I wore shorts, sleeveless workout shirt, running shoes. Rode 100 miles and stopped twice for a bottle of beer to stay hydrated. :D

After the 2nd one, I took her up to 110. I won't be doing this again because that stuff caused me to be uninhibited. Too old to be doing that crap!

However, I enjoyed every freaking minute of it. It's a blessing to have a bike and ride but don't want to see God before it's time.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Frequent stops a the local icehouses along your route. A cold beer, and off again. The sweat does you good. Not sure bout that full face helmet thing though. +1 on the longsleeve shirt for a long ride.
Have fun in Dallas. Lived in WVa for about 9an yrs loved it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
do most all my riding in the mornings and the evenings. sit in the pool or lake during the day and sip kold frosty :beer:s. its a koping mechanism. it worx.

an you think its hot here? should chek next 3 states over, nooha mehico, arrid zona, neva' da and yup calee 4ni yeah!
I'm no whiz kid but I count 4 poncho! It's going to be up near or past 90 today in MI. But thats prob a cool spring day down there.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I was really surprised, a couple weeks ago was my first ever 100+ day (bought the bike in september).

Since I bought the bike in September, I bought a 1000 Denier solid carbolex jacket (not even any vents!) 600 Denier carbolex overpants, full face helmet, and leather gloves.

The gloves had to go, I switched the mesh gloves. My fiancee and I made the decision to only ride in gear, so I was worried that on these 100+ days I just wasn't going to get to ride without either a cooling vest, or getting some mesh gear. Actually, to the contrare! I kept myself hydrated (I always have water in the saddlebag), and at a stop it was sweltering, but once you were moving, I was totally fine. Hottest part of the day was 101, and I was riding. Below 25 miles an hour or so was warm, 25~50 was decent, 55+ was comfortable. As in, it felt juuust right. Not gonna lie, it would probably feel awesome on a day like that to be rocking a T-Shirt, but I was quite impressed that even over 100, my gear wasn't bothering me too bad.

But anyway, let me get to the point. That day I was riding with a group. They were miserably hot, and sunburt by the end of the day. I was sweaty too but I didn't feel all that hot, and definitely no sunburn. They were exhausted, I was ready to ride some more. I wonder if, in the extreme heat, long sleeves, face protection (if you don't wear a full face, then a bandana or something), long pants (should always wear those when riding) and gloves are actually ways to help cope with the heat. Keeping the sun off of you, and keeping the sweat ON you (I know sweat evaporating is actually how it cools you but perhaps it can evaporate TOO fast and lose it's effect).

If you don't wear gear that's fine, but perhaps covering your skin completely (even in lightweight fabrics) is a way to actually cope with the heat? My observation has been (and it's happened a couple times now, one guy the last time, mid 90's, wore a long sleeve shirt and bandana just to prevent sunburn again, he was also much less fatigued at the end of the ride). I know guys who hike in the desert cover all of their skin as much as possible.

Just a thought!

·
Registered
643 Posts
So true about everyone else being burnt -mesh makes a great sunscreen, R58!

I never understood the staying covered to stay cool concept until I spent 7 months in Saudi Arabia -you didn't DARE leave your skin exposed over there!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts