Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
The Vulcan 900 MOM states that the Vulcan 900 Classic (same as LT) has tubeless tires. I just recently replaced the OEM tubeless Dunlop tires on my 07 900 Classic with tubeless Metzeler 880s upgrading the rear to a 200/70-15 in the process.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just to make sure I understand this correctly. You can put a tube in a tubeless tire therefore the classic can use a tube or tubeless tire but will always require a tube because of the wire spokes?

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
So go ahead and put tubeless on them...... Just make sure you check them for air every day...... maybe a couple of times a day. Just because the tire says tubeless on it doesn't mean it is actually tubeless. With a spoke wheel, you have a whole bunch of air leaks around every spoke fitting in the hub.....But hey, if MOM states it's so, it must be so, right?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Just to make sure I understand this correctly. You can put a tube in a tubeless tire therefore the classic can use a tube or tubeless tire but will always require a tube because of the wire spokes?
That's right. Unless they make those silicone liners for the spoke ends in the rim's drop-center, like the lowrider guys use on their wheels. But you gotta have someone with the know-how and the right equipment to get the tire on and off the rim then, or they'll destroy that liner. And it's probably a moot point anyway, since I've never heard of anyone doing it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm almost sorry I asked. Since we are discussing tires has anyone any idea how many miles a set of the OEM Dunlops might achieve before needing to be changed ? Keeping in mind we all do not ride in the same manner.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I went through two rear tires(dunlop)at about 7k each and the front about 14k! I got rid of the dulops and went with mt66 front and back and im very happy. They handle curves great, smoother, and the rear tire hasn't showed much wear at all after 3.5k! And they both say tubless.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm swapping out my front this winter. It had about 14K on it. The rear was done last year with probably about 10K on it. However the owner at that time just used it for commuting to and from work.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Okay, unless there's something I don't know, like the dealer gave me free tubes to put in my tubeless Metzeler 880s (just being sarcastic)...I have an 07 900 Classic with wire wheels and have never had a problem with air leaks. I run tire pressure monitoring valve caps and very seldom need to add air. I should also point out that I got 14,000 miles on my OEM Dunlops and only replaced them because the back looked like it was nearing end of life. The front still had a couple thousand miles on it. Just my experience.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Trust me when i say there are tubes in your tubless metz 880's, just like my tubeless Perelli mt66 also has tubes because i changed them myself thats why i know they have tubes. Your dealer didn't give you new tubes, not at almost 30 dollars each witch tells me that that he reused the old tubes. The OEM Dulops that you had on should have said tubed tire just like mine did.

·
Registered
149 Posts
OK, Diehard, I stand corrected and bow to your knowledge (hey, the president always does it :rolleyes:)...anyway, I called the the dealer and spoke to the service manager who informed me that, yes, spoked wheels require tubes unless they are custom wheels that have special spokes (that I do not have)...and that, yes, my tubes were reused. Okay, what's really irking me now is the money I spent on a Slime kit and and an extra bottle of slime to go with it. Totally useless for my application.
Again, thanks for keeping me straight.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'm sorry pjd52...I ment you no disrespect or to run you down! I was just sharing with you for what i believe. I have 3yrs of rideing that doesn't compare to your 30yrs so i'm still learning when it comes to knowledge. You have a safe ride!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Okay, what's really irking me now is the money I spent on a Slime kit and and an extra bottle of slime to go with it. Totally useless for my application.
I wouldn't say useless. The Slime will seal any small to medium puncture the tube probably better than it would in a tubeless tire. And because the gunk will stay in the tube, the guy fixing your tire won't be cussing you out like I do when I have to clean Slime or Fix-a-Flat out of a tire before repairing it :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey Diehard, no problem...BTW, I bought my first bike (07 Vulcan 900 Classic) in 2007 at 55 so I'm a learner as well:D. On the other hand, my step-dad was an original SW Philly junkyard owner and I worked and managed a 'salvage' (PC for junk) yard for the first ten years of my adult life so I have been around motor vehicles for most of my life.

Luciferiad, thanks for the info, I feel a tiny bit better now:).

·
Registered
113 Posts
RECENTLY REPLACED DUNLOP WITH PIRELLI mt 66 FRONT AND REAR.VERY SATISFIED SO FAR,VERY GOOD ON WET SURFACES.An added note there is a technique to make spoke rims tubeless ,later on I am going to process one wheel as an experiment.Will post findings at such time

·
Registered
113 Posts
Luciferiad is correct.when installing tubeless tire is very important not to damage the bead seating area.I have recently designed a tool that will install a tire without even lubricant (using bearing lateral displacement ).will do a post on the tool soon

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'm almost sorry I asked. Since we are discussing tires has anyone any idea how many miles a set of the OEM Dunlops might achieve before needing to be changed ? Keeping in mind we all do not ride in the same manner.
I am pushing 17,000 on the front. I will be changing this spring. As soon as the weather allows me to drive it to the dealer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts