Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While washing my 500 the other day I noticed some mild dry wall cracking on the side walls and the treads. The tires are 5 years old now and seem to have another 10000 miles left on them easy (10800 on them now). How much longer should I use them? When I replace the tires should I also replace the tubes? Sorry I am not use to dealing with motorcycle tire issues. Mechanical ones are more in my line, lol.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Struble,
MC tires have a five year shelf life from what I've learned here. The signs of dry rot ( cracking side walls ) would lead me to say start shopping now for tires and picking up tubes is practical too. IMHO tires is not a place where I want to save money so get the best you can afford. You can Google how to read tire production dates. 2506 means the twenty fifth week of 2006.

Ron

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Struble,
MC tires have a five year shelf life from what I've learned here. The signs of dry rot ( cracking side walls ) would lead me to say start shopping now for tires and picking up tubes is practical too. IMHO tires is not a place where I want to save money so get the best you can afford. You can Google how to read tire production dates. 2506 means the twenty fifth week of 2006.

Ron
+1 on replacing them. If dry rotting is visible on the exterior, it makes me wonder about the integrity of the internals. A blow out at speed is not something that you want to experience. All rubber deteriorates so the tires and tubes, being of approx. the same vintage, should also be replaced. Tubed tires deflate rapidly when punctured. Why risk a new tire, your bike and possible personal injury for under $20 worth of tubes... Just my $.02

·
Registered
131 Posts
When in question, replace any tire that makes you think. Its all there is between you and a meat grinder called "The Road" I have used Dunlop's forever and never had a problem.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I thought you were just supposed to dress the tires with some black shoe polish and not replace them (Worlds Fastest Indian).

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THanks for the advice. I am ordering a set of tires and the tools to change them out. One can never have too many tools in the garage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts