Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2009 900 Vulcan Classic Lt. Just hit the 5000 mile mark. Stock everything basically. What's the scoop on tires? 5000 miles? My trucks have 75000 on them and they cost less than 1/2! How many miles should I get and what's recommended? Thanks for your experiences.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pipes - recommendations?

I have a 2009 900 Vulcan Classic LT. Just hit 5000 miles on it. Tired of sounding like the old lady next door on a "grocery getter". Any recommendations? Brands? Chrome concerns? Lengths? Engine/Fuel efficiency? Tips would be appreciated. Recommendations for sound... Factory, Louder and Loudest would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Tires-I got whitewall Metzelers on my black '09 Classic. Looks bitchin'. 170/80 rear and whatever stock measurements are on front. Kind of a kick how MC tires are twice as much and last a quarter as long, eh (I got 10k on my stock first set). Metz or Avon seem to be the predominant choices here, with some opting for Pirelli.

Pipes- Not as much help here, as I'm just now starting to look myself. I'm pretty seriously thinking Cobra Longs, cuz there are several baffling options, and I want mine deeper, and louder but not "Can't they hear how cool I am?" loud.

If you're just looking for "louder", consider debaffling. Some guys are happy with it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I own a 2009 900 Vulcan Classic Lt. Just hit the 5000 mile mark. Stock everything basically. What's the scoop on tires? 5000 miles? My trucks have 75000 on them and they cost less than 1/2! How many miles should I get and what's recommended? Thanks for your experiences.
On the stockers, you'll be lucky to get 8k miles.

I recently replaced mine with Metzeler ME880's. The consensus seems to be that these will last 12-14k miles. As far as handling, they are a world of difference - for the better!

There's got to be a hundred tire threads already, (same for exhaust) so use the search function to see hundreds of comments. Most here seem to replace with Metzeler, Pirelli, or Avon, and those all seem to get very positive reviews.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I am a Metzler convert. Great handling, great looking, and long lasting.:cool:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Your M/C tires will NEVER come close to matching a cage's mileage ratings, they are two different beast all together.

Metzlers ME880 are good tires and what I use. One way to extend the mileage is to run tire pressure to manufactures PSI recommendations instead of OEM's ratings.

Metzler recommends 36 psi front and 40 psi rear. Oem states to use 28 psi front and 28 rear with a optional 32 psi rear for heavier loads.

12K to 14K would be a good estimate provided you are not a heavy throttle user!

Skeeter

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tires

Hey, Elkie. Try the Kenda Kruz line of tires. My wife has a set on her 900 Classic and has over 11,000 miles on them with at least a thousand more safe miles in them. She used up the stock O.E.M. tires in less than 5,000 miles and has used Pirelli Route 66 tires as well. The Kenda Kruz 673 touring tire in 130/90-16? and rear 170/80-15?? work really well for her. I know the rear is supposed to be 180/70-15mm but the aspect ratio (80) on the 170mm tire makes up the difference in height. The load capacity is greater on the Kenda tire than on the O.E.M. BS tires.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Metzlers ME880 are good tires and what I use. One way to extend the mileage is to run tire pressure to manufactures PSI recommendations instead of OEM's ratings.

Metzler recommends 36 psi front and 40 psi rear. Oem states to use 28 psi front and 28 rear with a optional 32 psi rear for heavier loads.

Skeeter
Great points

·
Registered
149 Posts
It really depends on the weight being put on the bike, your riding style, and the roads you ride on. I weigh in at 170 lbs and ride strictly solo on the (decent) roads of South Jersey. At the end of last season I had 14,000 miles on the original Dunlops and knew I would have to replace my tires this year so even though I had a thousand or so miles left on the rear and a bit more on the front I made the switch. I went with Metzeler 880s and upgraded the rear to a 200/70-15. Have fun.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have just over 7K on my stockers looks like the rear still has some good meat on it. But the front is kinda getting there. Plus the front is starting to get some dry rot between the tread. I keep a eye on the pressure so must just be the hot temps out here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2011 Vulcan 900 LT with 3500 km and the original japan Dunlop tyres that still looks like new ones (my personal soft road drive stilish is a real factor to it) are in many road situations very profitable and I'm sure that they are a good option to a secure ride.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
My experience has been, unfortunately, if you're a 5K miles/tire person, the brand you buy doesn't change that too much unless it's a considerably different style of tire or you change driving style and or conditions.

With the conditions for me, I've gotten 5K miles, give or take a few hundred, from different brand rear tires on two completely different styles of bikes. A 900cc crotch rocket and the big Vulcan 2000. Tires in both cases seem to last ~5K miles for me. Brands have been Dunlop, Continental, Bridgestone, Metzeler, and Michelin. Jury is still out on the last two, but looking at wear rates I don't expect anything much different from 5K.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I replaced stock D404 with Kenda Kruz. After 4000 miles, doing well; barely look worn at all and handle a lot better than stock, with pressures 36 and 40.

I debaffled my stock pipes. Loud enough for me but not too loud.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts