Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh boy. Took a look at tires. Date code looks like they're 16 years old. Guess ill be buying new tires and tubes. I see a lot of people running Michelin commander 2s, Dunlop 404s. What tires are you running, do you like them, and where do you get tubes?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Front: Dunlop F404 110/90-19
Rear: Michelin Commander II 140/90-15 (Previously B F Goodrich 155/80-15 'darkside' )

I would use those tires for testing, just to make sure that everything else is 'streetworthy'. Sioux (formerly Son of Hidalgo) had tires and tubes that were 14 years old. Other than being stiff and 'not sticky' they did okay. Get the new ones installed after you get the rest of the bike ready because tires and tubes can be expensive.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Front: Dunlop F404 110/90-19
Rear: Michelin Commander II 140/90-15 (Previously B F Goodrich 155/80-15 'darkside' )

I would use those tires for testing, just to make sure that everything else is 'streetworthy'. Sioux (formerly Son of Hidalgo) had tires and tubes that were 14 years old. Other than being stiff and 'not sticky' they did okay. Get the new ones installed after you get the rest of the bike ready because tires and tubes can be expensive.
Thank you. Yes, looks like they are costly. Wife won't be happy about that lol.

Why the MC2 on the rear instead of the Dunlop as well? Where do you get tubes, and which ones do you get? Never bought tubes before.

I don't plan on going very far initially anyway. Ill have to take the msf class to get insurance, to get inspected, to do title transfer and registration.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Why the MC2 on the rear instead of the Dunlop as well?
MC2 for mileage. (potentially anyway. It was recommended by a friend that has a HD with more miles than Hidalgo.) I had previously used Dunlop 491 Elite II but it is no longer made in the stock size and was quite expensive. Best wear was 18,000 miles. Also previously used was Dunlop 404 with wear mileage about 5,000 miles.

Where do you get tubes, and which ones do you get?
On the rear I have used Bridgestone PV78. Make sure that it has the right-angle valve stem for clearance. (Due to a couple of incidents in 2015 directly caused by tubes Hidalgo now has a cast wheel from the Vulcan 500A model.)
On the front I have used Bridgestone TR-4.

You might also want to replace the Rim Strips too.

Amazon has been my Go-To place for these maintenance items lately.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why the MC2 on the rear instead of the Dunlop as well?
MC2 for mileage. (potentially anyway. It was recommended by a friend that has a HD with more miles than Hidalgo.) I had previously used Dunlop 491 Elite II but it is no longer made in the stock size and was quite expensive. Best wear was 18,000 miles. Also previously used was Dunlop 404 with wear mileage about 5,000 miles.

Where do you get tubes, and which ones do you get?
On the rear I have used Bridgestone PV78. Make sure that it has the right-angle valve stem for clearance. (Due to a couple of incidents in 2015 directly caused by tubes Hidalgo now has a cast wheel from the Vulcan 500A model.)

Thank you so much for the help and information. Thank you so much for the information. I'm going to call around and get some prices for the tires and installation today. I'm going to take your advice and wait until after msf, inspection, and registration. Will be easier to drop the bike off to take care of it that way.

I love Amazon, mostly because I work a whole lot, and it's very nice to get exactly what I want delivered in a few days.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How in the world did 16 year old tires get on an 13 year old bike?

You don't happen to have a "flux capacitor" on that thing, do you? If so, whatever you do, do NOT get it up to 88 mph.
:grin2::grin2::grin2:
Well, it has 8500 miles on it, it's actually a 2002, I didn't realize that until after I made the post. Considering that, it was probably sold in 2001, and original owner I'm assuming may have had them put these tires on it. That's the only possible conclusion I can come up with. Lol.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm running Kenda Kruz on front (110-90/19) and back (140-90/15). I've had some minor issues with wear that was probably just wrong pressures. Otherwise, this combo with these tires are really confidence inspiring.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,853 Posts
Check some of your little local shops. I got two Bridgestone's white walls installed with new tubes and balanced for about 350. And the good thing is I didn't have to do it myself.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

What are rim strips?

Also, the advice about right angle stems is spot on, the tubes in it now are not and I could not getting in to even check pressure at the tire shop with any of their tools.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Rim Strips

What are rim strips?
Rim Strips go on the outside of the rim in the center of it to protect the tube from the ends of the spokes.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rim Strips go on the outside of the rim in the center of it to protect the tube from the ends of the spokes.
Why that makes perfect sense. I'll be taking the tires to a dealer to have them swapped, is that something they do/sell, or is that something I need to order and have them do, or do myself?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Why that makes perfect sense. I'll be taking the tires to a dealer to have them swapped, is that something they do/sell, or is that something I need to order and have them do, or do myself?

A well stocked dealer should have the rim strips in stock. If you're not sure order them yourself, along with all your other tire stuff to have them on-hand. They should be less than $10 each.

DO ASK shop to replace them! They might not do it automatically if you don't mention it.

Bill

·
Registered
270 Posts
FWIW, I originally went the D404 to save some scratch. I regretted it. They're ok at first, but wear quickly and start to handle strange. My Vulcan began to feel like it was pulling into slow speed turns. And the rear tire began to slip/scrub in moderate accelerating turns (say, away from a stoplight around a broad left hand turn) towards the end of it's life which was barely 5500 miles.

Consider Michelin Commander II's a worthy investment in a better ride. I think the rear was the main culprit in weird handling. The Commander has a better looking radius than the D404 did. I think you hit that ridge/lip earlier on the Dunlop rear.

Also, try to get a tube with a PV78 (right angle) style stem for the rear. Even a short straight stem is a pain to get the average gas station air fill on.

Additionally, you can save a fair bit of money of you unmount the wheels yourself and take them in to have the tires changed.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A well stocked dealer should have the rim strips in stock. If you're not sure order them yourself, along with all your other tire stuff to have them on-hand. They should be less than $10 each.

DO ASK shop to replace them! They might not do it automatically if you don't mention it.

Bill
Thank you, that helps! How many miles have you gotten out of the MC2 now?
FWIW, I originally went the D404 to save some scratch. I regretted it. They're ok at first, but wear quickly and start to handle strange. My Vulcan began to feel like it was pulling into slow speed turns. And the rear tire began to slip/scrub in moderate accelerating turns (say, away from a stoplight around a broad left hand turn) towards the end of it's life which was barely 5500 miles.

Consider Michelin Commander II's a worthy investment in a better ride. I think the rear was the main culprit in weird handling. The Commander has a better looking radius than the D404 did. I think you hit that ridge/lip earlier on the Dunlop rear.

Also, try to get a tube with a PV78 (right angle) style stem for the rear. Even a short straight stem is a pain to get the average gas station air fill on.

Additionally, you can save a fair bit of money of you unmount the wheels yourself and take them in to have the tires changed.
Thank you for the info and advice. I plan on ordering everything myself and taking the tires to the shop. Thank you. By the time I get 5500 miles on it, it might be time to replace the tires because of age . I can't ride it to work under most circumstances, and I work on average between 200 and 275 hours a month. Even still, I was considering something other than the dunlops. Gives me something to think about.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts