Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just swapped worn out, flat-in-the-middle OEM Dunlops, real nightmares for the 2500mi I have put on my V900, for Commander 2's with the taller 170/80/15 in the back.

Wow, the bike turns in with little effort, is no longer nervous tracking a corner, the whole feel is changed for the much much better. Even before a full scrub in, much better. No wonder so many of us fit them. :laugh2:

·
Registered
673 Posts
New tires always feel good. Living in the great state of Texas, explains the low miles. I'm getting 10-12k miles on my dunlops up here in the northwest. I good friend of mine does a lot of his riding in eastern Washington during the summer, temps in the high 90's to low 100's. He gets 4-6k miles on his. Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
161 Posts
New tires always feel good. Living in the great state of Texas, explains the low miles. I'm getting 10-12k miles on my dunlops up here in the northwest. I good friend of mine does a lot of his riding in eastern Washington during the summer, temps in the high 90's to low 100's. He gets 4-6k miles on his. Enjoy your ride.
We get those temps from May to October...

Washington ain’t hot...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, these Dunlops had 6K on them, but before me my V9 was an older wife's bike and all the tire wear was right down the center. I got a clean bike that had been babied its whole life, but the tires were done. I should have replaced them the minute I got the bike.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Also love my Commander 2s. I ride in Texas as well, but I'm having no issues with going the distance. Put over 2K miles on then already, and barely notice any wear. I ALWAYS check the tire pressure before I ride, and almost always have to make a pressure adjustment. I think this helps.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Have C2's on mine too. I love them except on loose gravel roads.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Congratulations. Kinda makes you feel like you've got a new bike doesn't it? I'll possibly have to change my tires out at the end of this coming up riding season. I might be able to stretch it out another year.

I have a niece in southern Ft Worth and a sister in McKinney, north of Dallas. I've got some serious retired military friends there still in the Ft Worth area. I spent a good 8 years there when the military air base was called Carswell AFB before it closed down and the Navy took over the base.

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
Yeah, I think that if you own a 900 you should experience the bike on C2's. It makes a world of difference. It's almost as if they were made for the bike!

Just curious @Sonny; Did you ask the shop to make sure they ordered them matched? I asked my 'go to' guy at the Dealership if Michelin really sold matched pairs or if that was just misinformation. He assured me that it wasn't. He stated that you have to order them specifically as matched and that normally the ones on the stock shelves aren't matched. He told me they aren't 'different' than the normal stock tire. They are all made in a series/batch but if you request a matched pair they are pulled from the same series. They don't bother with keeping them in the same series/ batch otherwise when sent out of the factory.

I love my Commander II's!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, I didn't know about matched sets. I ordered them from Bike Bandit, but didn't find much variation in price among a number of sources. Also ordered expensive Michelin heavy duty tubes. But the installer cut the back one putting it in -- entirely his fault -- and the shop gave me a stock Vulcan 900 tube off the parts shelf.

I have them completely scrubbed in from edge to edge and the bike feels great. I trust her again...

·
Registered
410 Posts
... Did you ask the shop to make sure they ordered them matched? I asked my 'go to' guy at the Dealership if Michelin really sold matched pairs or if that was just misinformation. He assured me that it wasn't. He stated that you have to order them specifically as matched and that normally the ones on the stock shelves aren't matched. He told me they aren't 'different' than the normal stock tire. They are all made in a series/batch but if you request a matched pair they are pulled from the same series. They don't bother with keeping them in the same series/ batch otherwise when sent out of the factory...
Well I never. I wonder, what are the touted advantage(s) of matched "series/batch" ? I've fired off an email to Michelin USA.

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
@RickD

Honestly, I don't know for sure. I am very interested in any info you get from Michelin.

My Dad managed a Tire Store back when I was still in High School. I recall him speaking of matched tires back then. I was too young to really be very concerned about them. But I never forgot it. Over the years I have heard some others mention matched tires.

I assume it means the tires balance more closely in the same way? The Dealership didn't charge me anything different in my order. I suppose I could stop by the Dealership and ask my mechanic what, if any, specific advantages are by having 'matched' tires.

If you get a response from Michelin on this please let me know what they said. I trust my mechanic, but to be honest I would like to hear what the manufacturer has to say on the subject.

·
Registered
410 Posts
A stunningly fast response from Michelin...

Hello Rick,

Thanks for contacting the Michelin Consumer Care Team. My name is Donald and I look forward to helping you out. You’ve been assigned case number 14890935. This will allow my team to quickly pull your claim details if any further questions arise.

Let’s see how we can help.

Regarding your email stating:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am considering ordering a set (front+rear) of Michelin Commander II motorcycle tires, and it has been suggested to me that I order them as a "matched set". Specifically: order them specifically as matched and that normally the ones on the stock shelves aren't matched. He told me they aren't 'different' than the normal stock tire. They are all made in a series/batch but if you request a matched pair they are pulled from the same series. They don't bother with keeping them in the same series/ batch otherwise when sent out of the factory."

Is this accurate/correct and if so what are the advantages and how do I go about doing so?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your interest in using our tires Rick.

Tire dealers do typically try to match manufacturing dates on tire sets they sell. The purpose for this is to try to ensure the tires are around the same age which would indicate the tires would last about the same time. This happens when the dealer has access to tires through there distributor that will allow this to be possible.

There will not be any difference in the same tire model manufactured on different dates and would not have any advantage to using tire manufactured at the same time. The age matching is also not a requirement.

If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-866-866-6605 (toll-free) between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. EST Monday through Saturday.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

Sincerely,
Donald
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert

·
Registered
410 Posts
Out of curiosity I went out and checked the manufacturing dates on my ME 888's ordered from Dennis Kirk on 3-25-16 (or "1216"):

Front: 2815 (or July 6 - July 12, 2015)

Rear: 1415 (or March 30 - April 5, 2015).

So about 3 months difference between tires and 8-12 months "on the shelf".

If anyone decides to order tires, I'd be interested in the dealer's response to "I want the manufacturing dates to match".

Interesting related article: https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/do-motorcycle-tires-have-shelf-life

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
This is an interesting conversation. In the past when someone would start a thread about tires one of the things I would say to them is to get online and educate themselves on the subject of tire age and to make their own decisions about when to change out their tires if based purely on age. I thought that I had researched well enough before making my last tire purchase and that I myself was "educated" on the general subject of motorcycle tires.

Of course I wanted tires that were close to each other as for when they were made. But the concept of "matching sets" was nowhere to be found in any of my previous research and not to be seen within my personal horizon of tire knowledge. So I find this discussion quite interesting.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't imagine date matching would make much difference unless the ages were years apart. Tire useful life is a gray area with a lot of variables: the environment where the bike is parked (indoors, outdoors, in direct sun etc.), the number of hours run and the way the bike is ridden, the climate, number of thermal cycles as far as long runs vs. short rides... probably other factors.

As far as age deterioration, to me the important thing isn't some slight edge cracking so much as the drying out of the tread compound giving a harder, less grippy surface. You can feel it with your hand and feel it when riding.

But I've never seen tires mounted as a new set to have one dry out and degrade faster than the other one. Front and rear can wear at different rates, but that's another subject.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi Sonny

I am about to buy 2 new tires for my bike and was curious about the feasibility and advantages (disadvantages) of buying a taller tire for the bike.

Would love to hear your thoughts and your riding experience with the 170/80/15 on the back

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Hi Sonny

I am about to buy 2 new tires for my bike and was curious about the feasibility and advantages (disadvantages) of buying a taller tire for the bike.

Would love to hear your thoughts and your riding experience with the 170/80/15 on the back

Thanks,

Scott
I first put a 170/80 on my 900 Custom about 4 years ago. I didn't find any difference in performance (I was running Metzler 888s at the time so stock and tall were the same model). I did find the speedo was more accurate and the 170 filled the fender better so it looked better than the 180. In fact, I'm convinced that the bike was designed with a 170/80 and the 180/70 was subbed in because the competition was starting to run beefier rear tires. But that's just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts