Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a left over '06' vulcan 2000,from a daeler in august 09, i,ve ridden 5500 milels, and it needs tires , already,is this comon for this bike??? The bridgstone BT-020 the least expencesive,but would thedunlop 251 or the most expencsive Metzler me-880 be worth the money ,to get more milage

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Of course, I can't speak from V2K experience, but I know the stockers that came on my 900 are commonly known to wear out fast, depending on riding styles. I've heard quotes anywhere from 6k+.
Plus, it sounds like you're dealing with maybe an older set of tires if they were on a left over 2006, unless you asked for new tires at the time of purchase?

With that in mind, just about everyone I ride with (Fat Boys, Wide Glides, Road Stars, Sport-Tours, etc...) seems to love the Metzler ME880 series, and a lot of folks, again from the 900 crowd, quote mileage of 12k+.

It may be that the stockers on all Vulcans just don't do well, but by testimony, the Metzlers do seem to be a favorite.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Metzeler good tire had those on my 1500 classic stick like clue on rain very good handling as soon as my tires wear out on my voyager going with the metzeler me880.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tires

Of course, I can't speak from V2K experience, but I know the stockers that came on my 900 are commonly known to wear out fast, depending on riding styles. I've heard quotes anywhere from 6k+.
Plus, it sounds like you're dealing with maybe an older set of tires if they were on a left over 2006, unless you asked for new tires at the time of purchase?

With that in mind, just about everyone I ride with (Fat Boys, Wide Glides, Road Stars, Sport-Tours, etc...) seems to love the Metzler ME880 series, and a lot of folks, again from the 900 crowd, quote mileage of 12k+.

It may be that the stockers on all Vulcans just don't do well, but by testimony, the Metzlers do seem to be a favorite.
hey i had an 07 900 also,i traded it on my 2000, it was a great bike,i put 12,000 miles, on it,i did'nt change the tires till about 9,500 miles,maybe becuase the 2000 is so heavy and the tourqe is high it eats them up?

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
The tires on the H-Ds my buddies have seem to have a much flatter tread profile than the tires on the V2K. The V2K tire is shaped much more like a sport bike tire and likewise tend to wear out faster because of it (for most people, anyway).

I'm approaching 1,000 miles on my V2K and I can already feel the rear tire profile flattening.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I bought a left over '06' vulcan 2000,from a daeler in august 09, i,ve ridden 5500 milels, and it needs tires , already,is this comon for this bike??? The bridgstone BT-020 the least expencesive,but would thedunlop 251 or the most expencsive Metzler me-880 be worth the money ,to get more milage
Common for the stockers to not last long.
They are junk. Avoid then like the plague.

Stick with Metzlers or Avon Cobras. My buddy runs Dunlop Elite 3's and is happy with them on a VTX1800R.
I put Metzlers on mine a couple of weeks ago and am happy with the quite, nicer ride and better handling. Time will tell about the longevity, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts