Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys. I'm new to this forum but have been riding my VN900 CLT for a couple of years. My question is: I have almost 7K miles on my bike & the tread on my rear tire is nearly gone. Is this normal for a stock tire? Do you have any replacement suggestions? thanks.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
That's about right for an OEM tire, they don't generally last too long.
My suggestion is to go to with a General Altimax 195/65-15, but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did I answer this on another forum for you? :)

Anyway, I got about 9K on my stock tires and replace them with Metezeler ME880s. I just bought another 880 to replace the rear which has 17K on it. The front still has plenty of life in it.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Did I answer this on another forum for you? :)

Anyway, I got about 9K on my stock tires and replace them with Metezeler ME880s. I just bought another 880 to replace the rear which has 17K on it. The front still has plenty of life in it.
I got 9.8k out of my stockers (although I should have replaced them at 8.5k, LOL) The stock Dunlops definitely don't carry mileage well. I just ordered new skins, Metzeler ME880 Marathons, for mine, front and rear. The rear is practically bald with 1mm of tread left, and although the front still has plenty of tread, it's got the typical Dunlop odd wear patterns so I'm replacing it anyway.

*sigh* Was gonna go darkside, but my insurance is "researching" whether or not it would be covered by the comprehensive insurance in case of a solo accident, so I held off until I get a firm answer. :D Hoping the Metz's live up to all the tales, and will definitely enjoy the speedo fix from putting the 200/70-15 on the rear!

FWIW, one of my co-workers rides a Buell and only gets about 5k out of his tires, so I guess I should be happy? :D

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have about the same milage on my stock Dunlops. Getting new ones installed tomorrow as the rear is looking pretty ragged.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I replaced my tires at 8,700 miles (the back tire was shot). I replaced both tires with Metzeler ME 880s and I am extremely happy with the new tires.

Color-Red/Titanium
Debadged
Metzeler ME 880 Marathon Tires

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've got a 2009 v900 LT and my Dunlop rear is almost to the wear bar at 2700 miles!!! My right wrist might have something to do with the rapid tire wear though:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts